Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

mk1 to mk3 rims

KUYTD

Hi

fancy set of  Borbet 18" staggered rims from the mk1 GS300 sport to put on my mk3, has anyone tried this? et45 vs et50? Will 10" width fit in the rear arches?

Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Yup, not cheap.

I've got two sets, one with winter tyres on.

The thirds set I'd had a guy bought to go on an is200.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Nice! 

I'd love to get diamond cut, I know they tarnish easy, so was thinking about a clear powder coating instead of lacquer if possible. Industrial finish.

Both my sets were refurbished, but the place didn't recommend diamond cut for those reasons. So I had one set done in bright silver sparkle, the other set in anthracite.

I have the idea in the back of my mind, to colour code the wheels with the car, then the diamond cut face to set it all off.

Haven't really got the budget now anyway, so future plans. 

Not sure if you have tyre pressure sensors on your GS, but fitting the Borbet TTE wheels would pose a problem with them if you do.

I have a lovely set of Borbet TTE's (not staggered) sat in my garage that I was going to fit on my Sportcross but never did, guess they must be pretty rare now.

Glad your enjoying your GS which looks good, I love mine........apart from the bonnet issue which is high on my list od to do's!

She has TPMS, I thought it was just a sensor on the tyre valve, no good on Borbets? 

They're a good looking wheel, when I was a teen and the mk1 sport first came out I wanted one badly. That's what I was looking for until discovered the mk3.

Going to grovel to Lexus tomorrow on the bonnet issue. 

I stand to be corrected on the sensor query, but I seem to recall reading someone fitting aftermarket wheels and having an issue with the sensors, hence why I flagged it up. Hopefully someone with direct experience will be along shortly to clarify further.

I love the look of the Borbets as well, in fact I was considering a Gen2 GS430 Sport before I went for my Gen3, the staggered Borbets suit the Gen2 well.

Hope the trip to Lexus proves fruitful, will await your news.

From what I can remember, the tpms sensor issue was more related to them breaking trying to swap them over, but no personal experience with them as I have a gen 2 car.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

It's finding them at a reasonable price first. Trouble is they are popular for Supra, Soarer owners too as a straight swap to get wide rears. I think it's a huge shame how mk1 sports get broken and the wheels sold on.

Been to Lexus today. They are putting the claim in, but she assessed the thickness of the paint and thinks it's been painted before, 4 weeks till I hear but looks unlikely I'll get it painted for free.

• 1 year later...

Hello again all, not been around sadly but getting back on board now.

Had my lovely 300 for over a year now, still besotted and glad I chose it. She's coming out of the bodyshop tomorrow, after some guy dented her wing I've had a work contact give her a going over. As well as the wing I've had the bonnet and front bumper done, plus the SE-L lip spoiler added, had a quick look today and she looks really nice! Still need the Borbet TTE's to finish it off though, if anyone knows of any for sale I'd love to know! 

Gearbox went a bit clunky soon after getting her, drove it for ages before deciding to have a drain and fill done a few weeks ago. Bought the right fluid and a filter, used a garage I know to do the job with me assisting. After it felt quite slippy gear to gear, thought I had screwed it up, but pulled the Battery for an hour and she seems a lot better now, just clicked over 170k.

Also finally got my techstream working, had all new sensors fitted and programmed the codes myself. No warning lights anymore! God bless techstream!.. 

I’ve got a set of borbets in the garage that I need to move on at some point. I just need to find some 18” wheels to move the winter tyres over to for the AMG (that will clear the calipers). I can let you know when they become available if you like?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

Well then, put me at the top of your list. I'll even help you pick out the replacements! [emoji846]

Ok, will do.

These are the wheels, and it is a full set of 5 (albeit the spare is in the original colour)

f681911822775e87a7382f46317ca1f2.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...