Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

abs slow speed at full lock cuts in

meltdown

hello im new here i have been reading  other messages but ive not found one  like mine .i have a gs300 97 .ive not had the car long  .the brakes work as they should as far as i can tell .apart from  going very slow  and turning sharp .like say pulling into a  parking space  . the abs cuts in  there is no lights  on the dash  to say there is  a prob 

• 1 month later...

Can only assume it is the smaller turning radius of the inside wheel compared to the outside wheel confusing the system. Maybe some worn teeth on the pickup ring is enough to show up with the different wheel speeds when going that slow.

• 2 months later...

I've got a 99 GS300 and am having a similar problem.  When I make a very slow right hand turn into a parking spot, the ABS kicks in and acts like I'm in a skid.  I've checked my sensors on the brake housing and theres no visible wear on them.  No light in the dash either.  Any ideas on what to start looking at?

• 1 month later...

Im thinking 2 or 3 things that might be an issue though I could be wrong. But here goes...

1. Kink or twist in one of the front brake flex hoses, so when turning, pressure increases causing the brake to press slightly and abs system thinks your locking up.

2. Caliper is slightly seized on the sliders (very common issue on gs300s) so again, tight turn and caliper not sliding, the brakes engage slightly, abs system thinks you're locking up.

3. Air in the brake system. Or the fluid is really old and taken in moisture. Bleed the brakes or better yet, replace the fluid. Always worth doing if it's not been done in over 4 years. 

4. The abs system self test. My first gs300 had an issue when I first bought it whereby the abs would kick in when braking below 5mph. Pulled the fuse in the end to disable the abs. But I believe the abs pump does a self test when you start the car and lasts for about 5 seconds. Maybe something is making the pump self test when turning at low speed. But that's a long shot indeed.

I'd say it's either 1, 2 or 3, or as mentioned already, sensor or ring as they too are common wear and tear items on gs300s. Abs sensors are not too expensive, neither are the rings. Worth doing anyway.