Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Difference between buying private and a company lease

It seems like there is a difference in service levels between buying private from a Lexus dealer and leasing via a company car.

One of the best parts of buying a new car is picking it up from the dealer and them showing you how the car works, setting up the hands free phone and radio etc. The ceremony of the keys is you want. This is one aspect that puts Lexus above the rest.

Now I have never had a company car so don't know how it works, but it seems that the lease company drops the new car off and throws you the keys then runs off. Leaving you to struggle how to set the hands free kit and radio up etc.

I would much prefer the personal experience picking up from a dealer. For a lease car can you collect from a dealer and get them to set the car up for you? Do they treat you differently as the profit margins are squeezed by the lease companies?

Discuss...

Yes Paul I quite agree, having just picked our new F Sport on Friday. The hand-over room at Wolverhampton has lights in it that fade and you can see your new car through the glass wall of the room.  Then they show you the basic controls and send you smiling from ear to ear on your way.  It's probably what sets Lexus apart from many other manufacturers. The personal touch means a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

It seems like there is a difference in service levels between buying private from a Lexus dealer and leasing via a company car.

One of the best parts of buying a new car is picking it up from the dealer and them showing you how the car works, setting up the hands free phone and radio etc. The ceremony of the keys is you want. This is one aspect that puts Lexus above the rest.

Now I have never had a company car so don't know how it works, but it seems that the lease company drops the new car off and throws you the keys then runs off. Leaving you to struggle how to set the hands free kit and radio up etc.

I would much prefer the personal experience picking up from a dealer. For a lease car can you collect from a dealer and get them to set the car up for you? Do they treat you differently as the profit margins are squeezed by the lease companies?

Discuss...

Yes - company cars appear to be offloaded from a trailer and you just get handed the keys. However, if the dealer is local, or you can be bothered to drive 200 miles away to the supplying dealer, then you can collect it from the showroom.

New and Approved Used car customers are treated in the same way by Lexus (not the same in other manufacturers)

However, having said that - when you've bought a fair few cars and the systems haven't changed much, I can imagine it gets annoying to go through the same old thing each time. Hence, each time I buy a new Lexus, unless its radically different in software, I'd rather just drive off and sort the stuff out in the car park.

• Like 1

Not always, I leased through Lexus Reading and had the choice of collection or delivery, I choose collection as I was cheaper and got all the same level of service as anyone buying. It costs the dealer much more to deliver than a mid range coffee on collection! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

Yes Paul I quite agree, having just picked our new F Sport on Friday. The hand-over room at Wolverhampton has lights in it that fade and you can see your new car through the glass wall of the room.  Then they show you the basic controls and send you smiling from ear to ear on your way.  It's probably what sets Lexus apart from many other manufacturers. The personal touch means a lot.

Nothing much different from the others, particularly premium German,  very much depends on the actual facilities the dealer has, 

My experience when I had company cars was that it would turn up on the back of a transporter, and yes pretty much had the keys thrown at me. Was fun though as we used to get a dozen of them turning up at a time, so made a bit of a diversion from the office.

I've only ever bought one car new, and it wasn't a Lexus. It was a Fiat Coupe turbo about 20 years ago and the "ceremony of the keys" was dire. Salesman basically trying to get me out of the showroom so he could finish for the night. Certainly put me off ever using that particular dealer again. First impressions matter!

My interactions with Lexus UK have always been top notch for me I have to say. 

• Like 2

I have a company leased car and collected it from the dealer and got a very good handover.  So if you can elect to collect it from the dealer you should get the same experience as a private buyer.  The dealer also put a number plate on it with my initials.

Never had an issue with Lexus dealers as a company car user, same service. Yes most lease companies if they deliver to your house mean there will be no handover. How they could they? The delivery driver is usually just that and doesn't know the cars.

Other manufacturers once they knew you were a lease customer treated you like a pariah.

On the upside, have had many a conversation with dealers about cost of service or repairs and took great delight in saying, "not bothered, it's a lease car"! Quick signature and on your way, can't beat not having to pay, so you take the rough with the smooth.

my handover as a private customer was great, similar to above with car in seperate area covered with a silk sheet. Full handover, but on most of it I knew more that the salesman did!

• Like 1

So those on leases didn't have their car blessed whilst drinking fragrant Japanese tea?!

How will the car survive without blessings?!?

• Like 3

I did have a choice but unfortunately my time constraints meant I could get to the dealer so they broke get it out to me - got a full run through of the car which was helpful as Radio and Sat Nav are a bit complicated!!

dealer was very knowledgeable and not rushed at all :-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links