Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kerbed wheel

Front NS wheel has sustained light kerb damage, as shown. I very rarely parallel park, and was unaware of any contact until I washed the car. If this has happened to anyone else I'd be very grateful for advice on where to take it (eg dealer, Chips Aaway, etc) and likely cost. Doesn't seem to have damaged the metal much if at all - the visible damage mostly in the paint/laquer layers. Tempted to lightly sand and apply touch-up paint myself, but not confident about result... Thanks in advance (BTW tried searching the forums but the search function doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment)

DSC06387 (2).JPG

8 hours ago, Martin J said:

Front NS wheel has sustained light kerb damage, as shown. I very rarely parallel park, and was unaware of any contact until I washed the car. If this has happened to anyone else I'd be very grateful for advice on where to take it (eg dealer, Chips Aaway, etc) and likely cost. Doesn't seem to have damaged the metal much if at all - the visible damage mostly in the paint/laquer layers. Tempted to lightly sand and apply touch-up paint myself, but not confident about result... Thanks in advance (BTW tried searching the forums but the search function doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment)

DSC06387 (2).JPG

I'd just take that to the dealer

Mine Charges £60 for 18" and £80 for 19" wheels.

There's no touch up paint for Lexus wheel colours - we found a close match for F-Sport gunmetal coloured wheels but not for these shadow chrome effect ones.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses. In the end decided to take it to the dealer, who uses an external mobile company. Good result for £66.  Given that the tyres aren't particularly low -profile, though, was surprised how easily it happened. Will be ultra cautious in future..

On 06/04/2017 at 5:33 PM, Martin J said:

Thanks all for the responses. In the end decided to take it to the dealer, who uses an external mobile company. Good result for £66.  Given that the tyres aren't particularly low -profile, though, was surprised how easily it happened. Will be ultra cautious in future..

I kerbed my RX wheel ages ago and the sidewall is the same.

It's because Lexus use relatively thin tyres for the size of wheel and so, the wheel somewhat sticks out. 

I change to michelin latitudes and they have a protection rim and generally seem wider although the size is same as factory 

On my RX400 the tyres seem to stick out further than the alloy, so fortunately the wheel is protected. Fortunately I haven't scuffed them yet .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I grated mine royaly (that'll be the most expensive Sausage and Egg McMuffin I will ever purchase) and found a local car detailer who matched the paint and refurbished the whole wheel for £50.

At the same time he said he could do all 4 wheels a different colour for £220 which I must admit I was tempted to go for a darker gun metal grey or even a black but for the moment I stuck with the original colour.

Only afterwards I found out that he details cars for celebrities and footballers so the £50 per wheel is pretty good value for money.

Anyone in the Heywood, Lancashire area wanting work doing, let me know and I'll furnish you with his contact details.