Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving from home to the nearest shop (about 10 miles) Then suddenly a loud bang and left side of car going up and down like crazy.

Lower ball joint sheared right off.

Thanking everything under the sun this happened in a 30mph zone. Had it happened 5 minutes earlier, when I was doing 70mph, I might have not been able to sit here and type.

Driver's side wheel is sitting straight and the wing is right on the tyre

balljoint.jpg

You were very fortunate! There are usually some warning signs like suspension knocking or a failed MOT for excessive play/boot damage.

Genuine replacements were around £120.00 the pair a few years ago, once you get in there can you report back if it was a genuine part or a copy and perhaps a picture or two please.

• Like 2

Wow, that is scary!  As Steve says, it'll interesting to know if it was a genuine part or not.  If it wasn't it'll certainly be a warning to us all.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

You were very fortunate! There are usually some warning signs like suspension knocking or a failed MOT for excessive play/boot damage.

Genuine replacements were around £120.00 the pair a few years ago, once you get in there can you report back if it was a genuine part or a copy and perhaps a picture or two please.

MOT was done at the end of September. No advisories were added.

There was indeed a knock, but more obvious on the driver's side

it's panic Monday!

Not a good day as regards anxiety for my next long trip in a few weeks time.

I bought a pair of  Lower Ball Joints on eBay Australia back in 2015.  Think they cost £65 each.  Were a Japanese brand.  I had the RH side fitted a year or so ago.

I have noticed clunks when I go over narrow speed humps at low speed. Not determined from which side. Spoke to my mechanic who thinks the one that wasn't changed if not an advisory on last MOT should be OK for a bit longer. Asked him to book it in if a space becomes available.  Will be interesting to see a photo of your part to understand how it could shear and yet not even have been an advisory? Inspector not doing his job?

Also just read about the Front springs both broken on Steves project.  Don't know how old Springs are on my car but have been taking a spare pair of rear springs with me when I go abroad.  Not given much thought to front springs breaking.  Rears have been an advisory for rust.

Perhaps Steve will let people know if the springs are replacements or orgiinals?  Is it possible to tell?

Glad Rudy you didn't have a catastrophe situation.

Some pics after assessing damage.

The ball joint has just popped out of it's housing.

I don't have a clue how long it's been on. I have taken a pic of the writing on the part. It only says: u L

balljoint1.jpg

balljoint2.jpg

balljointa.jpg

• Like 2

Hell. No trace of grease around the ball joint; leaked or dried up a long time ago and self-destructed.

Good reason not to buy non-ToyLex suspension parts.

In several threads for different subjects in reference to " original equipment manufacturer equivalent " I have always questioned the wisdom of going down that route and advised always to use the Lexus original replacement part.

This near catastrophe is a prime reason for following that advice.

• Like 2

Here's a close-up of the ball.

No sign of any grease and a lot of 'crap' in there caused by a split rubber boot.

So check your rubber boots for splits guys. When dirt can get in they WILL fail. Genuine or not

ball joint.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

In several threads for different subjects in reference to " original equipment manufacturer equivalent " I have always questioned the wisdom of going down that route and advised always to use the Lexus original replacement part.

This near catastrophe is a prime reason for following that advice.

I don't know what an original part from toyta would cost Phil but I imagine very expensive.  I bought Sankei 555 which in this advert for an older Lexus looks better than the Beck Arnley.  Price via Oz Aus$122 each. Not cheap B&A are the onyl ones on Rock auto for the 92. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1992/lexus/ls400/suspension/ball_joint.html

29 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I don't know what an original part from toyta would cost Phil but I imagine very expensive.  I bought Sankei 555 which in this advert for an older Lexus looks better than the Beck Arnley.  Price via Oz Aus$122 each. Not cheap B&A are the onyl ones on Rock auto for the 92. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1992/lexus/ls400/suspension/ball_joint.html

Lexus wants £78 plus vat for a lower ball joint. Not that bad if you ask me

• Like 1

I know this may seem a strange thing to say, but that ball joint is always under tension particularly when you hit a pothole " the ball is always being pulled out of the socket". If the joint had been inverted at the design stage that scenario would be most unlikely to happen.

Anyway I'm glad you and the car came away without much damage.

John

• Like 1

£93.60 not at all unreasonable.  Having been shafted for over £600 for the parts for a Cam belt and water pump change with all other parts I'm loathe to to go lexus for a quote on parts. Wondering about Johns theory. above.  Must be a reason.

How difficult is it to change a lower ball joint? not that I really want to do it and spend time bending over a wheel arch.  The "back"  will object most vociferously! .

24 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

£93.60 not at all unreasonable.  Having been shafted for over £600 for the parts for a Cam belt and water pump change with all other parts I'm loathe to to go lexus for a quote on parts. Wondering about Johns theory. above.  Must be a reason.

How difficult is it to change a lower ball joint? not that I really want to do it and spend time bending over a wheel arch.  The "back"  will object most vociferously! .

It's fairly simple. 2 bolts and 2 nuts and Bob's your uncle :smile:

• Like 1

Watching this vid on a different model Lexus it was a fair bit of work.  Another vid showed the need for a pickle fork, whih I was looking at one a few weeks back at a Yard sale and had no idea what it was used for.  Necessary tool to remove the ball joint.

It may be much easier on the LS. but its gien me the excuse to leave it to another. I know "scaredecat" or perehaps just wise in old age!

I just took the driver's side ball joint off and it took me about 10 minutes. A couple of big blows with a rather large hammer and the ball joint just pops out

• Like 1

Stuart

Should you take this task on do not use a pickle fork ,they have a tendency to damage the rubber seal use the ball joint splitter that was being used in the video they cost about £35.00, Sykes Pickavant are the best.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links