Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My son's Altezza did the same thing - as he entered his drive with bottom arm landing on the wheel. It was a low mileage jap import with no rust whatsoever and we'd checked repeatedly for an elusive knock without success (including MOT tester). 

Pete

Now with the new ball joints fitted I can tell the warning signs from what I initially thought were down to something else.

- Steering was jerky/heavy at times. Like having lack of power steering fluid.

- Wheel wobble at 60-65mph. Like in need of balancing

- When hitting the brakes she pulled to the left. Like having a sticky caliper

All these issues are now gone.

• Like 2

I know these used to go without warning on some Mercedes w124's I had mine done as preventative maintenance. I actually have to make an effort to drive my Mercedes C124 with the LS 400 parked by it I always get in the Lexus!

Thinking that I might get mine done (125000m with some minor clonking on low-speed lumps).

Any recommendations near Cambridge for this? Or is it easy enough for any independent garage to do?

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

Very easy to do yourself as well

And get oil/muck under my fingernails! :-o

I did manage to swap the bonnet struts yesterday, so feel a seriously pleased with myself. But doing something more safety related ... I need an expert. :)

This thread has encouraged me to do mine, and genuine Toyota ball joints were reasonably priced. At 69,000 miles she's on the originals and no noise but 18 years old...

Lifted front wheel yesterday but couldn't feel any play in the ball joint just using my hands to try to lift and swivel. although the UCA looked shot as quite a gap.  Should have tested it with a crowbar under wheel and lift to see play Doh!

UCA didn't look anything like the Nearside. Fortunataly I have an offside UCA as I bought a pair from USA a while back and only used NSF.  Tackle it tomorrow - perhaps. .  

• Like 1

Good news and bad news for me.  Because my drive is uneven bricks on sand I decided I didn't want to use Jacks to change the UCA I thought might be faulty.

My mechanic being overloaded I took the Car to my nearby Ford Dealership where I get my MOT.-  £1700 quoted to get through MOT last time but did it for signiicantly less by non Lexus part and trusted Mechanic. 

So, they said they'd take a look.  Might take an hour.  What?? How much will the inspection cost I asked. What is your rate? £110 an hour was the reply.  I said thats more than Lexus charge (?) and the cost of a full MOT  is only c.£40   Ah well it isn't charged if we do the jobs he said.  

Had to bite the bullet as off on 1200 mile journey soon. Walked back to the Garage after half and hour and no one working on the Car. Mechanic report said the knocking must be coming from a loose exhaust heat shield as he didn't find any other problems but mentioend the rusty rear springs. 

So, accepted the £51 half hour charge and feel (almost) comfortable that there isn't any major problem. Will however be taking in addition to the two Rear springs, a UCA and LBJ (drivers side)  anda spare Drop link not fitted last time.  Its llike taking the Parts Department whenever I go away!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links