Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Climate Control Question

Hi there. I am new to the forum and I have a question about the climate control of my IS300h.

Even if the AC is off and the air is disabled in coming from outside, air is coming through the vents related to my current speed. In addition, when I have the driver windows opened more air is coming through the vents. When I switch to air circulation from outside more air is coming through the vents.

Is this how the AC supposed to work?

Set it to Auto, AC on, SFlow on, temp between 21 and 24 and forget for me. Adjust vents to my preference usually fully open and pointing away from me.

The vents will not be completely sealed so will still admit some air into the car when travelling I suspect.

All the controls will still work so switching to recirculate or no and it will do it. So yes it will make a difference.

By turning the AC off, the computer will not try to do anything automatic, the compressor won't run so the air will not be chilled / de-humidified.

Also opening the windows will provide a better route for the air, so yes I would expect more throughput, you're just setting the paths of the system.

It may be more efficient to do what you're doing at low speeds but at higher speeds the AC system will be more efficient.

Vince

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 03397 said:

Hi there. I am new to the forum and I have a question about the climate control of my IS300h.

Even if the AC is off and the air is disabled in coming from outside, air is coming through the vents related to my current speed. In addition, when I have the driver windows opened more air is coming through the vents. When I switch to air circulation from outside more air is coming through the vents.

Is this how the AC supposed to work?

Turning AC off won't change the speed of the fan. 

If you want it completely off, leave AC on all the time (to prevent it smelling in the future) and then just turn the fan completely down

Guys thanks for your answers but I think you have misunderstood me.  What I am saying here is that my whole climate control is off, fans off, ac is off, s-flow is on. Air is still coming in through the vents even if the circulation of the air is in the "inside mode".

Is this normal? I thought with this setup no air will be coming through the vents.

Probably a safety thing to stop emissions poisoning if sealing yourself in, wouldn't worry about it unless the flow of air coming through is strong. Check your cabin air filter is fitted correctly (in the glovebox).

One question and an observation.

Question:  What is s-flow

Observation:  My understanding is that recirculation mode doesn't stop air circulating though the vents etc. it just means there is no significant make up air from outside so basically what is inside stays inside and what is outside stays outside.  So recirculation stops noxious fumes e.g. exhaust emissions coming in from outside but also means moisture isn't removed from the car so eventually your windows will steam up as a result of your breathing.  Fan settings will operate as normal in recirculation mode but you'll be blowing recirculated air through the system.

Regardless of what setting the system is on there will always be some leakage of air and some make up as the cabin isn't a sealed unit but in recirculation this will be reduced but not to the extent that oxygen levels are depleted etc.

I find it best to set recirc to auto and ac to auto and just let it sort itself out!

S Flow was explained to me by salesman as adaptive ventilation, using sensors in seats the car will direct air to only those occupied, subject to other settings being setup correctly, i.e. Manual vents open, fans running etc.

I did a quick test this morning in my car. Turned everything off, set the recirc on and closed all the dash vents. At up to 30mph I couldn't detect any air flow through them in the car.

Side benefit, from a cold start with the system off, the car virtually always went into EV mode and shutdown at traffic lights and junctions. As soon as I turned fans on it would start the engine.

However the needs to balanced against the car misting up inside.

• Like 1

S-flow is explained in my handbook as shutting down ventilation to the rear of the car, to reduce the load on the climate control. Depending on the cabin environment it may be automatically overridden. I took this to mean if the rear cabin temperature and/or humidity were above a preset level S-flow would be suspended.

I have S-flow switched on and have not, to date, seen it overridden. Cabin comfort is excellent.. 

If you sit in the drivers seat, reach back and put your hand over the air vent to the rear seats, with S-flow on, there is no or very little coming out of here, with S-flow off you will feel air coming out.

I think its to help save energy, which is what the hybrid system is all about. I believe that the compressor is electric via the high voltage batteries rather than the usual engine driven type but I may be wrong, sure I read this somewhere.

Vince

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links