Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got a strange problem (well not a problem yet) with the running of the car.

I noticed this last year when driving on smooth roads – not many left I know but I was in Scotland at the time and to be fair the roads seem better maintained up there (maybe need to be because of the snow?) anyway …

I have noticed this more recently as well, again when on smooth roads, no pot holes or rough surfaces.

Its not an issue but I feel it could be building up to one? When driving at low speeds in any gear there’s no problem. Driving in higher gears 4,5,6 in auto and in manual at higher speeds 50+ theres a low “rumble” type of noise. I have only really noticed it on long journeys before or regular journeys where you can hold a decent speed for a while.

I have been thinking how best to explain this and its best described as driving over the rumble strips on the road (not the ones defining the hard shoulder and the road but the ones you face when coming up to some junctions which are laid across the road)

The noise is rather a rumble than a noise but can both hear and feel it. Its mechanical as it comes and goes in a regular pattern. By that I mean it will come on for approx. 2 seconds then off for approx. 2 seconds then on for 2 seconds  and so on in a regular pattern. It is very low noise/rumble and unless you know its there then you would miss it. I am not overly concerned but would like to see if anyone has experienced this or know the issue.

Car is just under 100k / petrol / 2007 model / regularly serviced with no other issue.

My thoughts on what it is / isnt

• Tyres – no, as theres no problems with them and the noise does not relate to how the tyres can produce it in the regular pattern
  • Water pump – Don’t know what this sounds like when its on its way out and I am sure it hasn’t been replaced from factory
  • Wheel bearings – have never had these go on a car before so cant match the noise but guess the noise / rumble would be there constantly if wheel bearings
  • Air con – is not on
  • Alternator – bearings? Don’t know what these sound like when on the way out
  • Carbon build up – unlikely but not ruled out
  • Gearbox - aaaarrrggghhh - hope not
  • If I was to make a guess then its coming from the front of the car and not the back which would kind of rule out the diff or any moving parts in the back?

In fact I am pretty sure when the noise / rumble is there then it doesn’t go up and down with the speed of the car, its just there so I am flummoxed !!

Anyone with ideas or experience of this?

I am doing a service on it next weekend will check the points indicated - I would rule out wheel balance as tyres are evenly worn and am certain its not them.

Have been on the Toyota forums in the USA - issues with torque converters in auto gear boxes in the early 05 to 08 trucks - rumble strips they identify it as over there as the description of the noise.

Hope not ... the noise/rumble is faint but its there and not increased since I first spotted it so may just live with it if it turns out to be that until it does (if it does) present itself with worse symptoms

3 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Got a strange problem (well not a problem yet) with the running of the car.

I noticed this last year when driving on smooth roads – not many left I know but I was in Scotland at the time and to be fair the roads seem better maintained up there (maybe need to be because of the snow?) anyway …

I have noticed this more recently as well, again when on smooth roads, no pot holes or rough surfaces.

Its not an issue but I feel it could be building up to one? When driving at low speeds in any gear there’s no problem. Driving in higher gears 4,5,6 in auto and in manual at higher speeds 50+ theres a low “rumble” type of noise. I have only really noticed it on long journeys before or regular journeys where you can hold a decent speed for a while.

I have been thinking how best to explain this and its best described as driving over the rumble strips on the road (not the ones defining the hard shoulder and the road but the ones you face when coming up to some junctions which are laid across the road)

The noise is rather a rumble than a noise but can both hear and feel it. Its mechanical as it comes and goes in a regular pattern. By that I mean it will come on for approx. 2 seconds then off for approx. 2 seconds then on for 2 seconds  and so on in a regular pattern. It is very low noise/rumble and unless you know its there then you would miss it. I am not overly concerned but would like to see if anyone has experienced this or know the issue.

Car is just under 100k / petrol / 2007 model / regularly serviced with no other issue.

My thoughts on what it is / isnt

• Tyres – no, as theres no problems with them and the noise does not relate to how the tyres can produce it in the regular pattern
  • Water pump – Don’t know what this sounds like when its on its way out and I am sure it hasn’t been replaced from factory
  • Wheel bearings – have never had these go on a car before so cant match the noise but guess the noise / rumble would be there constantly if wheel bearings
  • Air con – is not on
  • Alternator – bearings? Don’t know what these sound like when on the way out
  • Carbon build up – unlikely but not ruled out
  • Gearbox - aaaarrrggghhh - hope not
  • If I was to make a guess then its coming from the front of the car and not the back which would kind of rule out the diff or any moving parts in the back?

In fact I am pretty sure when the noise / rumble is there then it doesn’t go up and down with the speed of the car, its just there so I am flummoxed !!

Anyone with ideas or experience of this?

The first thing that would spring to mind is certainly tyres. Certain tyres have a habit of making whirring sort of washing machine noises.

Don't think the water pump sounds like anything when its about to go - it just pops and leaks coolant everywhere (thats my experience anyway)

Wheel bearings would be heard only on turning rather than straights

Have a lady friend with a rumbling noise on her BMW 118D - turned out to be a catalytic converter in the end. We were both thinking DPF regenerating at first but it was the CAT

I was thinking in a similar vein to that.

Also, check out any heat shields on the exhaust. They are made of softish/malleable metal and can be slightly bent out of shape quite easily...one may be close to rumbling against the bodywork somewhere. I had exactly this on the shield under the floor.

Going to have a good look next weekend when servicing it.

I suspect it is the torque converter to be honest - not sure how this works or at what point or speed it kicks in or if its engaged full time?

I don't get the rumble at low speeds in any gear in either manual or auto or at any specific temp of the engine. Seems to appear around 50mph in 4th / 5th / 6th gears. Will only get it when accelerating or at a constant speed or when cruise is set. It disappears when foot is off accelerator so its not associated to the car free rolling. Eliminated tyres really, its not the water pump. It could be the exhaust but its not that type of noise ... its repetitive every two seconds or so when accelerating or cruising.

Haven't narrowed it down anymore yet as haven't found a good smooth road. Its not that obvious but now I know its there its bugging me. Wife does not feel or hear anything. Its that quiet that the radio on a very low volume hides it.

Toyota and Lexus in the states have had issues with the converters and i have found this on a few forums, the symptoms match the rumble noise and feel - some were replaced under warranty. Some owners have had success in changing the box oil which leads to the question that's been posted a few times on the need to change the box fluid - its supposed to be lifetime (sealed unit) no need to replace the oil. I guess you need to consider what manufacturers consider is meant by "lifetime"

I will give it a check over none the less. Its not causing any issue at all but its one of those niggly things that you know is there. 10 year old car at 100k, you have got to expect a few issues...

Can't contribute anything helpful to this topic except to wish you luck in finding the answer and the hope that it's not going to be too expensive to fix.

Have you tried rotating the tyres?  I say that because I was once stumped with a similar issue with tyres that looked OK but weren't and caused a rumble, always at around 50 mph.

11 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Have you tried rotating the tyres?  I say that because I was once stumped with a similar issue with tyres that looked OK but weren't and caused a rumble, always at around 50 mph.

I have kind of ruled the tyres out as the noise only happens while accelerating or cruising - if decelerating - say going down hill with foot off accelerator - the noise stops.

Its not causing an issue (yet) if it will at all - I would just like to get to the bottom of where its coming from. I have found out a bit more regarding the type of gearbox in these and its an AISIN WARNER A750 type gearbox so I will do a bit of digging to see if there are any issues with these (not had time to look yet) - to be honest I am leaning towards the issue being the torque converter - quite unheard of as a failure in these cars but there's a first time for everything I suppose...

I guess a lot of people may have this issue if listened to closely - with radio / fan etc off so its quiet in the cabin to recognise the noise.

It seems that you just have one of those issues that can't be detected until it either gets worse or fails, but of course neither may happen showing it not to be mechanical at all.

Just an update - the noise, although very faint, is still there - cant comment on the rumble yet as till to find a smooth road !!

Had a good look through the moving parts today under the car - no leaks / loose bits - exhaust shields still intact and secure. Tyres all dood with no uneven wear. Front pads are ok but will need doing by end of year probably.

Done an oil change / oil filter change / greased all caliper pins / oiled all rubber mounts / cleaned and re-oiled air filter and checked exhaust. All done and ok. Will live with the noise / rumble until it needs to be done but not getting any worse at all so probably been there for a while.

Whats the Lexus slogan?  ..  in pursuit of perfection? .. guess I am being too critical on the car !!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links