Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre valve caps

floggit

I appear to have lost a tyre valve cap. Are they anything special related to the tpms? They are a dull silver metal cap.

Id be tempted just to put black plastic ones on. Would match Better lol. 

Im guessing a genuine lexus set would be around £100 for added value :w00t:

I believe they're special on the CT, they are ergonomically, thermodynamically and aerodynamically different to the rest of the Lexus range. They also have a platinum insert to prevent wet air getting into the valve assembly.

And I believe you have to buy a full set, you can't just replace one.

£250 + vat last time I bought some for the wife's car, we've gone through about four sets now. :whistling:

• Like 1

If you use metal valve caps (as I do), always smear a little oil on the thread of the valve and only tighten to finger tight.  They're only keeping dust out, not air in !

I have heard of caps corroding on to the valve stem and being impossible to release......a costly exercise replacing tpms valves !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

If you use metal valve caps (as I do), always smear a little oil on the thread of the valve and only tighten to finger tight.  They're only keeping dust out, not air in !

I have heard of caps corroding on to the valve stem and being impossible to release......a costly exercise replacing tpms valves !

When I used metal caps I smeared a little vaseline on the threads before fitting.

41 minutes ago, Verbout said:

I believe they're special on the CT, they are ergonomically, thermodynamically and aerodynamically different to the rest of the Lexus range. They also have a platinum insert to prevent wet air getting into the valve assembly.

And I believe you have to buy a full set, you can't just replace one.

£250 + vat last time I bought some for the wife's car, we've gone through about four sets now. :whistling:

Haha, best i get my discount card out :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

10 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

When I used metal caps I smeared a little vaseline on the threads before fitting.

I think i will just get a set of matching metal caps off eBay as these things do seem to go walkies. Good shout on the vas/ oil guys thanks! Didnt know that. As ive lost one id probably overtighten the next lot. Now i wont.

main thing is their just caps, i didnt know if they made a connection or something daft for the tpms.

:cool:

3 hours ago, floggit said:

I appear to have lost a tyre valve cap. Are they anything special related to the tpms? They are a dull silver metal cap.

Id be tempted just to put black plastic ones on. Would match Better lol. 

Im guessing a genuine lexus set would be around £100 for added value :w00t:

Some kid probably nicked it for his bicycle!

Nothing special about the caps - but as far as I can tell, they're hard silver plastic - not metal on the IS

Ive got metal ones on my RX which came with the car and Ive never bothered to grease them etc. They don't fuse - its overtightening that is a problem, they only need finger pressure.

• Like 1

i've had them corroded on and had to cut the cap off with a small hacksaw blade

down the side of the cap so i could then split them with a flat blade and remove,

as rayaans said the IS has plastic ones there is no issues with removing them

as i found out after a kind child removed them in the carpark at work.

I had caps like that on a Saab in the past.  The grub screw and allen key is a right pita !!  I've had non-secured Lexus caps for a while now and they haven't been nicked :smile:.

• Like 1

I had a nightmare removing a couple like those when fitted to my C class. The grub screw welded itself solid...

Only fit plastic caps now. Cheap and available anywhere.

ECP have started doing external tyre pressure caps which go red if the pressure is low and green when ok

Going to be a huge hit with the little ones who'll just nick them for their bikes!

All black metal fitted handtight now with a smidge of oil ( i had to hand) . Looks better. Can confirm the ct caps are as rayaans said just hard silver plastic now removed.