AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

gdh300

Super GT Round 1 this weekend

This weekend, Lexus will be challenging on two fronts in the first round of the 2017 Super GT series in Japan. There'll be plenty of the new LC500s competing in the premier 'silhoutte' GT500 category against the NS-Xs and GT-Rs, while the new GT3 spec RC-F will be competing in the 'production' GT300 category. 

If you haven't seen any Super GT, it is definitely worth a look. The Japanese have some great circuits with frequently unpredictable weather and the fanatical, partisan crowds are quite something to see. The GT500s are - from what I remember - all based on the same chassis and are closely related to those run in the similar DTM. However, where the two series differ in terms of car spec is while the DTM run normally aspirated V8s, Super GT use turbo-charged four pots, and are very quick. The GT300 category not only allows international GT3 spec motors like the AMG and Ferrari 488s, but also some domestic specials; you'll soon spot the very fast Prius. Other highlights are the Police parade lap at the start, the twin grid start and the HSE nightmare of spectator buses running round the track with cars at full chat!

And this season, Nismo TV will be streaming races live on their YouTube channel which means some early mornings. The official Super GT website is here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      The new breathtaking flagship coupé from Lexus tested and reviewed.
      Read our Lexus LC500 review and prepare to want one :D
      If you not logged in then log in/register to the club to leave your love letter comments ;) :D

http://ownersclub.co/LexusLC500review
      Please comment on the review as this post is locked.
    • By gdh300
      Well, after a encouraging weekend at Silverstone (my GT Open fanboy post is here) an announcement on Wednesday by Emil Frey has got me more than a little bit excited. And as Lexus enthusiast, I think you should be too! In a nutshell - out of the blue - the Lexus RC-F will be competing in the next round of the Blancpain GT Series Sprint Cup at the Nürburgring.
      It's exciting for sure, but let's not get carried away and keep expectations down, much as Emil Frey are doing themselves. It looks very much a 'fact-finding exercise', but also a barely-disguised sign of a realistic intention to join the party full-time next season. Thus far, Emil Frey have exclusively concentrated on the Blancpain GT Endurance Series in 2017 with the ageing XK8, so you have to think may be the RC-F will be bound as a replacement for the Jaguar in the three hours races, rather than a permanent fixture in the 60 minute sprints (even if it aligns more closely with the GT Open series).
      Meanwhile, concentrating on the race at hand, the Balance Of Performance / Nürburgring combination will probably - on past performance - favour the mid-engined cars, specifically the plethora of factory backed Audi R8s (Audi being the only manufacturer named as a sponsor of the Sprint series, no comment required). The switch to Pirelli rubber will doubtless stymie the RC-Fs performance, but it will be fascinating to see how they measure-up against the best GT3 teams in the business. Albert Costa is an undoubted star, but his pairing with the mega-experienced and rapid Stéphane Ortelli shows commitment by the team, and likely hints at the long term retirement of the venerable XK8. 
      Live streaming will be at GT World. Forza Lexus! (or the Japanese equivalent...)
    • By gdh300
      I promised the mods I wouldn't start yet another Lexus motorsport thread, but I think this weekend's events warrants a renegement for us UK residents, namely... Lexus will be racing at Silverstone this weekend! 
      The GT Open series - after a bit of a break - returns for round five (of seven) this weekend at the famed old Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire circuit. The two teams running a pair of RC-F each - Emil Frey and Farnbacher Racing - have been testing at Barcelona recently so the expected cool conditions at Silverstone should prove a contrast. However, the Balance Of Performance formula will have been reassessed before a wheel turns for free practice on Friday, and hopefully things will favour the RC-Fs a little more than has been evident in recent races. High speed corners at Silverstone may well play to the Lexus strengths if the pattern of the early season can be repeated.
      As is normal for GT Open, there will be two races this weekend, one on Saturday (70 minutes), one on Sunday (60 minutes). Both days have a qualifying session for the GT3s and support races of Radical European Master and Euroformula Open. Tickets are a bargain £15 for Saturday and £26 for Sunday; a ticket for both days on the gate costs £30. Of course, if you can't make it, there will be extensive streaming on the GT Open YouTube channel.
      I will be there both days, waving a flag for Lexus; may be see some of you there. 
    • By Linas.P
      Found this gem on internet, you need to commit yourself to some american cheesiness and scripted conversations, but cars are still very adorable to look at:

• By gdh300
      First off, mods I'm sorry for so many new posts; I'll stick to one for each series from now on.
      Anyway, for a number of pathetic reasons, I have completely forgotten the International GT Open series this year.  Suffice to say, I've missed both of the two-race meetings so far - Estoril and Spa-Francorchamps - the first of which marked the RC-F's debut in a European international series (if you know what I mean). When I watched GT Open last year, it was a pretty small grid lacking variety but it was a nice surprise to see that in 2017 it is much improved. The grid will be 28 cars this weekend; no match for the Blancpain GT Endurance series, but pretty healthy none the less. And with the notable exception of the Audi R8s, most of the current GT3 cars are present. The field is immeasurably improved of course (!) by the presence of the 2017 débutante RC-Fs, one each for Farnbacher Racing and Emil Frey Racing, two very experienced teams. 
      If like me you need to catch-up on the season so far, you can watch full coverage at the GT Open YouTube channel. But if you only watch one, watch Race 2 from Spa; anyone who has watched racing from that magnificent track will know how the Ardennes weather can enliven a race in the blink of an eye. I'll steer clear of letting slip any spoliers! 
      If you can't wait to find how the Lexus did, the official site is here.
      So to this weekend and the series has its third race of the year at Paul Ricard. Now, I'm assuming they will be using the same circuit layout as the Blancpain series have used in the past it should suit the strengths of the Lexus, as it has the similar front engined Bentley and Nissans before. If that's not the old Murray Walker curse, I don't know what is! Live streaming should be on the YouTube channel.
      Good luck, Lexus!