Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Life after the IS300H

My IS300H is a companycar and every 3 years i have to change cars. End of this year she will have to go.

And then what... I find this very difficult i just dont know at the moment. I still have plenty of time and there will be some new cars coming out in the next months but nevertheless..

I just dont like ordering thesame car again doesnt appeal to me. so Stay with Lexus and go for the NX?

I also like the Disco Sport and the new Q5. Maybe the new Stelvio? I prefer an SUV type of car this time but also for that i am not sure. Boy oh boy this is going to be difficult. Normally i used to have a clear picture of what i wanted, Saab or Lexus but now i just dont know. The new Volvo XC60/40? Nissan? Honda? or go for a non mainstream but sensible choice, Subaru, Skoda ?

I dont like Bmw or Merc so that is a no go.

What would you do? 

Lexus anytime.. much better than anything else, more exclusive too.. go for the NX.. you will be pleased you did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been in exactly the same dilemma, I've never ordered the same makes back to back and ended up with three Lexi in a row! I had an IS300h and went to the NX300h, both F Sport Prem Nav. I didn't regret the move for a second. IMO the NX is a step up in quality from the IS, and when you add to the Lexus quality the hybrid drivetrain efficiency/economy, the sharp lines and relative exclusivity it's a very very hard act to follow. I never looked at it seriously as I've now moved away from Lexus but would have had a look at the Jag F Pace, rather than any of those you've mentioned. 

Good luck with it, as mentioned above First World problem indeed!

Im not a fan of the Jag F-pace interior quality though - it feels like its been made to a cost and certainly not worthy of the price. 

Its more akin to IS interior but for £10k+ for a decent spec version

I wouldn't go for the NX, sorry Jason, I had an NX300h as a courtesy car for a few days, and couldn't wait to get the IS back.  The NX, with the same power unit, seemed so underpowered, presumably being much heavier.  It just didn't give the same driving experience as the IS, although I did like the HUD!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baxlin said:

I wouldn't go for the NX, sorry Jason, I had an NX300h as a courtesy car for a few days, and couldn't wait to get the IS back.  The NX, with the same power unit, seemed so underpowered, presumably being much heavier.  It just didn't give the same driving experience as the IS, although I did like the HUD!

Glad am not the only one who felt the NX300H is hugely underpowered compared to the IS. The one I had felt no better inside than a Nissan Juke, I can get 50mpg+ easy on our IS yet struggled to get anything over 35mpg on the NX. 

I think the NX power output is around 200bho rather the IS 220??

my friend test drive the GS, NX and the IS and went for the IS as it didn't feel underpowered like the other two

2 hours ago, TechyD said:

I think the NX power output is around 200bho rather the IS 220??

my friend test drive the GS, NX and the IS and went for the IS as it didn't feel underpowered like the other two

Yes its down on power - very odd decision to do that for the sake of a few MPG. 

20 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes its down on power - very odd decision to do that for the sake of a few MPG. 

It is not that odd in SUV market, where most of the potential buyers will put MPG above KW/AG on their priorities list. But I believe that is the main problem with new Lexus models... Older ones were designed around Lexus own philosophy and were refined to it, new models are now designed around the customer's expectations/wishes - indeed that helps to sell more. In my personal opinion, many Lexus models are now inferiour in terms of refinement, because key quality factors are ignored for the sake of customer appeal.. and while customers are always right, it is not necessary the case that customers always knows what is the best...

The RX I had for a day was fab, lovely soft leather, really smooth power train, pretty nippy too. If it was an EV I would have seriously considered one. But instead it seemed to have a drink problem :). 

25594457945_0cc7aebd21_z_d.jpg 

The NX was really disappointing, looked fab but drove like a Toyota Corrolla. Maybe it was partly because I was given one in basic spec trim, so not even electric seats, what ever the reason I just didn't get on with it. 

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

many Lexus models are now inferiour in terms of refinement, because key quality factors are ignored for the sake of customer appeal.. and while customers are always right, it is not necessary the case that customers always knows what is the best...

Your opinion based on what though?  Which new Lexus models have you owned?  My GS is very quiet & refined as was my previous IS. 

What "key quality factors are ignored" can you elaborate?

I like doors that thunk shut and superbly comfortable seats and soft touch panels even on the bottom of the doors etc  

Ed:whistling1:

10 hours ago, capese21 said:

Your opinion based on what though?

Personal opinion does not need to be based on something .. Your GS300h is very underpowered and that is about all... Quiet?! I simply disagree with that - 2.5 l4 engine sound awful.. Very refined - what is refined about it?! I would agree with well build and reliable maybe - LS400 is refined, GS450h might be... not any of 300h, 200h or 200t cars - those are compliance vehicle to please masses and achieve sales - never meant to be great cars.

20 hours ago, Linas.P said:

In my personal opinion, many Lexus models are now inferiour in terms of refinement, because key quality factors are ignored for the sake of customer appeal.. and while customers are always right, it is not necessary the case that customers always knows what is the best...

Why do you keep trolling this forum?

You've never owned a new prestige car..pop back when you have done some long term ownership of a few marques so you can compare.

11 hours ago, capese21 said:

Your opinion based on what though?  Which new Lexus models have you owned?  My GS is very quiet & refined as was my previous IS. 

What "key quality factors are ignored" can you elaborate?

I like doors that thunk shut and superbly comfortable seats and soft touch panels even on the bottom of the doors etc  

Ed:whistling1:

Ignore him, he's done a test drive and decided Lexus are crap, the NX / IS200t engine is crap and everything else is crap..somehow he circumnavigated my ignore filter.

• Like 2

OK guys, lets keep it friendly. We are all entitled to our own opinions, they may not be what you think but they are what another member believes and that should be respected.

• Like 1