• Join Gold & Save!
      Join Gold & Save!
    • Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
      Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
    • Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
      Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
    • Get Your Club Gear
      Get Your Club Gear
    • 1000's of Lexus For Sale
      1000's of Lexus For Sale

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

mep

220d SE dash looks like a xmas tree

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. It's not Xmas but might as well be.

I had a problem with a worn rear wheel bearing. The car had been used to tow around an exhibition trailer in its early life and at 175,000 miles started to complain. I'm not complaining as 175K miles is still good value. To look at car is immaculate inside and out. Still gives 40MPG and I am still in love with car after 7 years of ownership.

Changing the bearing I managed to damage the ABS sensor: and when trying to remove the broken sensor, I damaged the sensor ring. To make matters worse, thinking I could repair the ring, I removed the sensor ring.

Duh! What was I thinking.

The friend, whose garage I was using to do the work, suddenly needed his garage and so I had to move. I drove the car home and parked up.  On the way home. No Speedo. P/S Red light on even though power steering feels okay.  ABS light on. Engine light on. VSC complaining.

So now I have a replacement hub, with ring, new ABS sensor fitted and all on the car.

But all the lights still on.    I have tried removing the battery over night.  All lights still on except Engine light.

Any one with any thoughts before I troll off to my Lexus dealer who will want more money than they value the car at to plug in their OBD reader. 

Hi Martin,

Good to hear of a 220d owner who loves his car.  175k is quite a bit of usage, so it nice to hear that the car is still going well.  Towing a trailer also sounds like it has worked hard.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it does sound like a pain.

The only thing I can suggest is getting your own OBD2 reader to find and clear any faults.

Something like this should do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U581-Car-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Scanner-CAN-OBD2-EOBD-Code-Reader-Scan-Tool-UK-/231514532804?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Alternatively, with an app on your phone, you could use something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Mini-OBD2-ELM327-V2-1-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-/162312931706?hash=item25ca9ac97a:g:BmoAAOSw2gxYpXEH

Hopefully it was just complaining about the lack of ABS, so once you clear the code, everything should be back to normal.

1 person likes this

I have already tried a OBD reader made by AEG but consistently get "error scanning".

Well, that is strange.

I have the ELM327 Bluetooth scanner and it works fine in my car.  The other one I linked was recommended from someone on here, so it should also work.

Just to compound the problems, When holding down the unlock button on the remote to open ALL windows, now the drivers window refuses to open even though all others do.

Assuming that the window works properly otherwise, that is another unusual problem you have experienced.  If you open it manually, do they all close when you hold the lock button?

Well. Out of the blue the window has started to work. Don't know how or why but thanks for responding.

Hi everyone. I bought the the exact same OBD scanner as recommended above. Connected to car, turned on the ignition, exactly as there manual states: and the readers states NO CODES found.

Anyone with any ideas?

Car reports.  ABS fault. P/S Power steering, Brake Warning, VSC with red warning triangle and the OBD Reader reports: 'There is no codes in the vehicle'.

So the engine management lights are on and it says 'Check VSC', but the car still has no fault codes?

I didn't think that was possible?

Off to the local Lexus dealer Monday. See what they make of it.  Everyone else seems baffled.

1 person likes this

It is rather baffling.

I am curious to know what they say, so please keep up updated.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By meltdown
      hello im new here i have been reading  other messages but ive not found one  like mine .i have a gs300 97 .ive not had the car long  .the brakes work as they should as far as i can tell .apart from  going very slow  and turning sharp .like say pulling into a  parking space  . the abs cuts in  there is no lights  on the dash  to say there is  a prob 
    • By Rusty Crobar
      My dash lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday while on the motorway. Traction control was disabled, check VSC & CEL were on and I was understandably worried! 
      There is a lot of info from lexus owners about the vsc light but nothing relating to the isf. Apparently it covers a range of issues from loose fuel cap to broken ecu's 😯. It seems like most issues aren't actually related to the engine or the traction control system!
      Got the car to my friendly mechanic for a diagnostic and it turns out it's the oxygen sensors for the cats. There was no voltage going to either of them so he suspects it's a broken wire rather than the sensors themselves. Going back on Wednesday to get it fixed. 
      Not really a suprise as the bottom of the car was rubbing on the track so much 😳
      This is purely down to how low and soft my coilovers are,  shouldn't put anyone else of track days 🖒
    • By T33
      Hi ladies and gents,
      I'm new to the forum here and bought a IS220D a few months ago. I must firstly thank everyone and website admin for the tons of information its been extremely helpful! However there is one thing (or two) that I've tried searching and haven't been able to locate a solution. 
      Firstly theres a small wire with what looks like just a rubber gromit or something on the end, hanging loose next to my battery. I've included a couple of pics of it. Its the one just the one hanging between the battery and egr valve pipe. Any idea where that goes and more importantly if that could be a sensor triggering my second issue?

Secondly and more confusing is the check VSC and engine management light which comes on. Now I'm sure its to do with the DPF being clogged up as i've read on here but the car loses no power and doesnt go into limp mode etc. The VSC ofcourse is no longer active, but apart from this I feel nothing different. It happens when I've been driving the car for around about 40 miles or so i'd say. I first noticed it when I was keeping the revs quite low around 2000rpm in 6th gear.
      I was aware of the DPF and egr valve issues with this car so I've previously added redex fuel line cleaner and always given it good powerful runs on the motorway when I can. I've taken it up and down the country and never had any issues and I thought it might have been because I try and force the DPF regen. Obvioiusly the local driving and low revs on the day it started could've been the trigger. Nevertheless this is where I get confused: I cleared the code (P2002 - DPF below threshold) and been driving it around local again with no issues. I could do as many miles as I like with no problems. But once its on the motorway again, 40 miles in the lights are back up. This has been repeated a few times and again no issues with driving. The mpg has dropped over time from around 30 to 28 over the course of a few months but thats it. 
      I have just done an EGR clean, which was quite clogged up. I'm assuming/hoping it was trying to regen the dpf but due to the egr being clogged there was an issue with that. Or maybe because of it being clogged, the dpf has messed up? Nevertheless i'm taking it again on a motorway run tonight and hoping that its all sorted. Going to try and get it to regen if possible. Can anyone advise further? Thanks in advance.
      P.S. The wire hanging loose near the battery, could that be the trigger?
      P.S.S. Any additives someone could recommend for forcing the dpf to clean as it must be in a bad shape...
    • By misterarse
      Newby back again, having had engine warning lights on recently & scanner checks indicating CAT underperforming I tried ‘Cataclean’ which worked for 3 days. Before that a tank full of 99 RON petrol seemed to extinguish the little engine warning light for a few days too. Had the engine carbon cleaned for twice the normal time (60 mins) today & the minute I drove away, vibrating steering wheel & new warning lights not seen before (as in title). I have seen comments like "sensors need re-calibrating" to "replacement oxygen sensors" elsewhere which I hope leads to sensors & not CATS as I have been quoted nearly £1200 for OEM parts.

BTW The engine can hardly be heard now, smoother shifting and power delivery, probably quicker too & they claim up to 4 MPG improvement as well so for £100 a good investment despite current situation, especially as mine has done nearly 195,000 miles.

Merry Christmas

• By James Trendall
      Hey guys,
      So after a long time away working on my RX8 i've come back to my Lexus IS200 daily. I'm currently looking for a complete ECU diagram for each wire.
      I'm looking for, 
      12v ignition wire,
      RPM signal wire,
      Crank shaft sensor wire
      Ground (Most likely use a bolt in the engine bay for this.)
      I've searched online all day with nothing but gibberish coming up and dead links.
      I've found countless IS300 diagrams which seem to be different. I've tested and failed.
      Has anyone got a list for the 4 plugs on the top of the ECU? It would be very handy.
      thanks
      James

EDIT: After sifting through tons of pictures i think i have a part list of what i need.
      Working from front to back of the car i have,
      A-B-D-E plugs.
      12v power seems to be from Plug A Pin 1
      RPM seems to be from Plug A Pin 12
      Crank Angle Sensor seems to be from Plug E pin 23
      Ground most likely to the chassis.
      Can anyone confirm if i'm anywhere close to the correct pins/plugs? This is all i can workout looking at random diagrams online which seem to be part complete or taken from SXE10 engines which are 100% different apart from the power.