Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220d SE dash looks like a xmas tree

mep

Hi everyone. It's not Xmas but might as well be.

I had a problem with a worn rear wheel bearing. The car had been used to tow around an exhibition trailer in its early life and at 175,000 miles started to complain. I'm not complaining as 175K miles is still good value. To look at car is immaculate inside and out. Still gives 40MPG and I am still in love with car after 7 years of ownership.

Changing the bearing I managed to damage the ABS sensor: and when trying to remove the broken sensor, I damaged the sensor ring. To make matters worse, thinking I could repair the ring, I removed the sensor ring.

Duh! What was I thinking.

The friend, whose garage I was using to do the work, suddenly needed his garage and so I had to move. I drove the car home and parked up.  On the way home. No Speedo. P/S Red light on even though power steering feels okay.  ABS light on. Engine light on. VSC complaining.

So now I have a replacement hub, with ring, new ABS sensor fitted and all on the car.

But all the lights still on.    I have tried removing the Battery over night.  All lights still on except Engine light.

Any one with any thoughts before I troll off to my Lexus dealer who will want more money than they value the car at to plug in their OBD reader. 

Hi Martin,

Good to hear of a 220d owner who loves his car.  175k is quite a bit of usage, so it nice to hear that the car is still going well.  Towing a trailer also sounds like it has worked hard.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it does sound like a pain.

The only thing I can suggest is getting your own OBD2 reader to find and clear any faults.

Something like this should do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U581-Car-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Scanner-CAN-OBD2-EOBD-Code-Reader-Scan-Tool-UK-/231514532804?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Alternatively, with an app on your phone, you could use something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Mini-OBD2-ELM327-V2-1-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-/162312931706?hash=item25ca9ac97a:g:BmoAAOSw2gxYpXEH

Hopefully it was just complaining about the lack of ABS, so once you clear the code, everything should be back to normal.

• Like 1

Well, that is strange.

I have the ELM327 Bluetooth scanner and it works fine in my car.  The other one I linked was recommended from someone on here, so it should also work.

Just to compound the problems, When holding down the unlock button on the remote to open ALL windows, now the drivers window refuses to open even though all others do.

Assuming that the window works properly otherwise, that is another unusual problem you have experienced.  If you open it manually, do they all close when you hold the lock button?

Hi everyone. I bought the the exact same OBD scanner as recommended above. Connected to car, turned on the ignition, exactly as there manual states: and the readers states NO CODES found.

Anyone with any ideas?

Car reports.  ABS fault. P/S Power steering, Brake Warning, VSC with red warning triangle and the OBD Reader reports: 'There is no codes in the vehicle'.

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of elfin about........  Remember this all started after having 2 new rear ABS sensors and both rear hub bearings replaced, Lexus Toulouse decided to change one of the new hubs for another new hub and replace one of the new ABS sensor with another new sensor.  Problem did not go away! They then wanted to do the same the other side and i refused.  So they then came up with a scheme to take the magnetic part of the hub from the one they swapped and fit another new sensor.

€1463 later I set off home and half way home the VSC light kit up again and so has the ABS.

At least the speedo, the cruise control and odometer works as is the fuel gauge that is now stable.  As for the OBD reader I purchased... WASTE OF MONEY!!!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE OBD READER TALKED OF ABOVE.

Thankfully having spent €1463        I have somewhere to go back to.

But keep in mind that this is a 10 year old car with 190,000 miles on the clock.  Right now other than this problem the car runs absolutely fine and still looks good for its age. I cannot afford to change the car so I am having to bite the bullet and keep on paying.  But!!!  If the dealer had their way, they would rebuild the mechanics out of new spare parts till it was like new.

Comments like, "it feels sloppy and loose, not like a new one" sits in the memory.  i do wonder what these people expect?