Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just wandering if anyone has experience of owning a VXR8 and an ISF?  It's just general thoughts at this stage, I'm very happy with my ISF but get an occasional tug towards the more blue collar, manual transmission VXR8, especially with the stick shift option.  I know most Vauxhalls are fairly horrid things, but having owned a VX220 and watched the VXR8 from afar I am intrigued....

Having owned a Monaro and seriously considered a VXR8 i must admit the problems some of the guys on the HSV & Monaro forum were experiencing put me off. Front wishbones last 5k, indicator unit failure seemed common and its behind the dash somewhere. Clutches are weak with the LS7 a common upgrade. Brakes discs were like a grand each from Vauxhall.

Dont get me wrong though the big old pushrod V8 is a character to drive especially a manual, the whole car starts vibrating as the revs rise. I test drove a red Vxr8 LS3 Auto and is was a good compared to the Monaro. Oh and the boot is absolutely massive on them lol

• Like 1

My brothers father in law had a supercharged VXR8 and had no end of problems with it.

He had a gearbox sensor issue which Holden/Vauxhall would only sort via a new gearbox (he runs a gearbox repair company so he knows his stuff in that area).  

So instead of getting a new gearbox at a cost of several pounds, he decided to break the car and has replaced it with.....  another VXR8.  I have no idea what to make of this.

On a different note, a supercharged VXR8 (when working) would leave my ISF for dead and sounds amazing on full SC whine.

• Like 1

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee this is the problem with these comparisons, my Porsche 996 Tubo had almost the exact bhp as an Isf and I accept the is a fair weight disparity but I've realised after long long experience it matters not a jot the Isf would not know which way the 996 went on a wet winding road, until such time the Isf caught up with it when something yet again had gone wrong with it.

Except the engine that is which is almost bullit proof.

And this can be said about many many others from Audi or BMW or Mercedes or whoever almost guaranteed reliability is something of a holy grail in car choice - especially in a performance car.

Look who Lotus chose for engines after the k series and so on Toyota I wonder why 😏

🐀

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee this is the problem with these comparisons, my Porsche 996 Tubo had almost the exact bhp as an Isf and I accept the is a fair weight disparity but I've realised after long long experience it matters not a jot the Isf would not know which way the 996 went on a wet winding road, until such time the Isf caught up with it when something yet again had gone wrong with it.

Except the engine that is which is almost bullit proof.

And this can be said about many many others from Audi or BMW or Mercedes or whoever almost guaranteed reliability is something of a holy grail in car choice - especially in a performance car.

Look who Lotus chose for engines after the k series and so on Toyota I wonder why 😏

🐀

Are you drunk?? I had to read that about 3 times to understand it?!?!  Lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Are you drunk?? I had to read that about 3 times to understand it?!?!  Lol

I'm on my 5th read.  It's like reading Bravo Two Zero...  Get's better every time you read it ;-)

@Big Rat I should add that it would leave it for dead in a straight line only.  The ISF stops though which is a big difference.  I am sure the VXR8 has brakes off of an 80's Opel Manta ;-)

• Like 2

@Big Rat is more The One That Got Away rather than Bravo Two Zero.

I've just realised something. I think there are several things about the Rat that make him a Stig replica.

X military. Super human driving skills. Some say he is THE STIG!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I've just realised something. I think there are several things about the Rat that make him a Stig replica.

That could be said about a few of us on here! Lol.  I also heard that the stig likes guiness however and that stuff might as well be agent orange the way it goes through my hoop!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

I'm on my 5th read.  It's like reading Bravo Two Zero...  Get's better every time you read it ;-)

@Big Rat I should add that it would leave it for dead in a straight line only.  The ISF stops though which is a big difference.  I am sure the VXR8 has brakes off of an 80's Opel Manta ;-)

@FTBBCVoodoo Yes the brakes come to think of it where a bit 😳

🐀

2 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Ah yes the day I was born 😂

IMG_2622.JPG.271f525cd0a8e2fcc127d1943f0c227b.JPG

Big Rat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

@Big Rat was your mum washing your Guinness milk bottle at the time, I can't see it in the picture!

@Flytvr As observant as ever, no she was on the phone to the Guinness breast  feeding department to get some meaningful advice 😂

🐀

• Like 1

Some say, he only ever eats cake..........and yearns for the day he will own a blue IS-F

All we know is he is called THE RAT.............................

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Cheers Guys - interesting responses.  To paraphrase 'The VXR8 tends to be worse to drive and not as well made or reliable' good feedback.

Thanks

But is faster and vauxhallier!!!

2 hours ago, Grey One said:

Cheers Guys - interesting responses.  To paraphrase 'The VXR8 tends to be worse to drive and not as well made or reliable' good feedback.

Thanks

@Grey One James I do try to be serious about these matters but there are one or two on here @Flytvr @Mark G who will attempt to draw me and others off topic, I have brought it to the attention of the mods, but as yet no action has been taken.

So if I may apologise on there behalf and offer up this small morsel of comfort >

IMG_2623.thumb.JPG.e1fe1b076b3ee78cb5a4c96814da85f1.JPG

Big Rat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Grey One James I do try to be serious about these matters but there are one or two on here @Flytvr @Mark G who will attempt to draw me and others off topic, I have brought it to the attention of the mods, but as yet no action has been taken.

So if I may apologise on there behalf and offer up this small morsel of comfort >

IMG_2623.thumb.JPG.e1fe1b076b3ee78cb5a4c96814da85f1.JPG

Big Rat

If they only did one in Ultra Blue..............and don't photoshop the bloody picture @Big Rat or you @Flytvr......................

• Like 1