Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Many breakdown covers don't cover cars of 23 years for European cover.

OK I can have cover if I go with my present insurer but it won't be available if I go to another insurer.

.Can anyone tell me if they have European Breakdown cover for say mileage 8000 p.a. and max 90 days abroad?

What price and who are the organisation?  I know i can get a better deal for the Insurance cover but European breakdown cover is a "must" for my peace of mind. 

I read somewhere  that they won't cover you if you are visiting a second home?? Also would an "advisory" on an MOT be used as a means to void their liability where work has not been done?  Just asking, and I know what everyone thinks of Insurers.   So no swearing please!

22 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Many breakdown covers don't cover cars of 23 years for European cover.

OK I can have cover if I go with my present insurer but it won't be available if I go to another insurer.

.Can anyone tell me if they have European Breakdown cover for say mileage 8000 p.a. and max 90 days abroad?

What price and who are the organisation?  I know i can get a better deal for the Insurance cover but European breakdown cover is a "must" for my peace of mind. 

I read somewhere  that they won't cover you if you are visiting a second home?? Also would an "advisory" on an MOT be used as a means to void their liability where work has not been done?  Just asking, and I know what everyone thinks of Insurers.   So no swearing please!

Google ADAC. German outfit.Good service and good value. Documentation was in German when I was a member.

Regards

John

1984. Traction Avant, 1955 version, so 29 years old.

AA Euro insurance for 8 weeks trip-and paid out for hire car, hotel,(broke drive-shaft after 6 weeks) AND break-in.

Was a great trip despite all.

Where I realised that you couldn't be lost if you weren't going anywhere.

I previously had a 25 year old Mercedes SL. Our packaged bank account with Nationwide for £10 a month included European breakdown with no limitations, worldwide travel insurance, and mobile phone insurance. Good value.

HTH

Jon

11 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

I previously had a 25 year old Mercedes SL. Our packaged bank account with Nationwide for £10 a month included European breakdown with no limitations, worldwide travel insurance, and mobile phone insurance. Good value.

HTH

Jon

Yes, I`d forgotten that I have this also......and it works for my 13 year old Mercedes !!

Thanks Garry.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Thanks all. Re the Nationwide I just had a look and there is this note. " Nationwide Building Society acts as an Intermediary to Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited for car insurance."

Difficult, as my existing B/cover is with Silver Knight and my insurance is via a Broker indirectly to LV.   Not much point in my asking LV for a quote for my insurance  even though I have received their bumph saying "cheaper Car Insurance with us?"

The "?" says it all.  Still may give them a call just to alert my Broker that I'd like a £100 off quote!

Looked at the ADAC site John, and very interesting if slightly dated in some of the testimonials. Need a lot more reading I think.

I know Saga would quote me lower insurance but the Silver Knight B/cover only comes via LV. 

Oh well, probably go with my renewal as time spent messing with options is boring me rigid. 

I have this free European cover for  my cars plus lots of other benefits by using my Nationwide FlexPlus account  ..............  it's very good value for money especially if you can take advantage of the interest they pay on your current account which significantly offsets the £10 a month fee.

And the free personal worldwide travel cover too

Then they also pay 5% pa on a max £500 a month savings account but ONLY if you have the FlexPlus account.

It's an all-round great little account in general to my mind

Malc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I have this free European cover for  my cars plus lots of other benefits by using my Nationwide FlexPlus account  ..............  it's very good value for money especially if you can take advantage of the interest they pay on your current account which significantly offsets the £10 a month fee.

And the free personal worldwide travel cover too

Then they also pay 5% pa on a max £500 a month savings account but ONLY if you have the FlexPlus account.

It's an all-round great little account in general to my mind

Malc

And free Europen Breakdown Cover too. A no brainer me thinks.

Regards

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Good to hear about the Nationwide 'deal', I'll look into it when my renewals come around.

Thanks.

It is a Bank Account Lee.Nationwide flexplus account. Comes with some freebies, iinc European Breakdown C, check out the Nationwide website.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Just now, royoftherovers said:

It is a Bank Account Lee.Nationwide flexplus account. Comes with some freebies, iinc European Breakdown C, check out the Nationwide website.

Regards

John

Thanks John, at lunchtime I scanned the account differences as we recently started banking there.  

I already have Travel Insurance through work and EU relay via AF but will definitely compare the costs at renewal time.

• Like 1

and of course one should remember that the usual limit of Recovery is the actual value of the vehicle to be repatriated ......  and that will exclude very many cars. BUT of course it does usually cover you for roadside assistance and wheel changes and i guess taking you off to the local garage for repair if not done at the side of the road.

The flat tyre syndrome is all that i think I would be needing tbh  ...........  the Recovery, well, the value of most of our cars would mean scrapping the car at the side of the road in any event abroad........  and the " other " part of the Cover getting us home somehow :w00t:

Malc

Malc,

Can you tell me what the Breakdown policy states under " **Please refer to your policy documents for full vehicle eligibility rules, including any exclusions."  as until someone gets an account it doesn't seem to state what the exceptions are?

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Malc,

Can you tell me what the Breakdown Policy states under " **Please refer to your policy documents for full vehicle eligibility rules, including any exclusions."  as until someone gets an account it doesn't seem to state what the exceptions are?

The policy Document can be viewed on the Nationwide website Stuart, under Flexplus.

Regards

John

• Like 2

when I last looked and studied it all for my 5/6000 mile Grand Tour of Italy via France and Switzerland back in 2015 ( ? )  I reckoned that a big breakdown would mean abandoning the car and getting home or just buying another car there and continuing on my adventure. As i said, I thought just for flat tyre wheel changes and simple stuff, anything more and the Recovery of the vehicle would have been greater than the book value of the car and absolutely no-one to my knowledge Recovers to Home in that scenario.

Same applies to your car insurance too i think !

HOWEVER .  provided your car is serviced properly before taking her abroad you should be ok as these cars rarely just breakdown and if they do then it's usually quite simple for a local garage to fix most things, brakes, hoses, power steering pipe leaks etc at not much money................  rarely does anything catastrophic happen mechanical wise ...  you're running a Ls400 :wub: you know    NOT a Beemer or Audi or VW :w00t:

Malc

• Like 3

I left it too late to go for the Nationwide - totally forgot tomorrow holiday and also Monday - been very busy and my policy expires on 18th so, just gone with renewal of policy and breakdown cover - but next year I'll go the Nationwide route if still applicable

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting topic this, I have absolute faith in Lexus vehicles, I am on my fourth and none have cost me a single penny aside from servicing and consumables although I must say when I travel abroad if the car is out of warranty and therefore has no breakdown cover I do take cover out with a third party provider, as some of you have stated it is a peace of mind thing.

It is great to see people taking their cars on long distance trips when they are 15-20 years old or more in some cases, for me as far as reliability is concerned, nothing comes close.

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

It is great to see people taking their cars on long distance trips when they are 15-20 years old or more in some cases, for me as far as reliability is concerned, nothing comes close.

and the previous year I did a similar mileage on a Grand Tour through France .......... of Spain and Portugal :wub:  ...  both journeys were of 4 to 5 weeks though so there was no high speed pressure at all.

Malc

• Like 1

I have to agree. Am taking my LS 430 to France and Spain, leave uk 22nd May, back 12th July. Am not complacent, or wishing to tempt fate, but I have total confidence in my car. Malc made a very good point, that major components don't really break down, and minor problems can be sorted with a local mechanic. Have full Nationwide European Cover, just hope I don't need it !!!!!! Cheers, Roger

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links