Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 wheel alignment with new Goodyear tyres

Due to my bad back I'm changing the current Yokohama 225/45/17 on my IS300h Exec to Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance to get a more comfortable ride. They have very soft sidewalls so should make the ride less harsh at the expense of some body roll, I'm happy with that as I don't really use the car anywhere near the limit. Anyone have these fitted?

Also, the current rear tyres are wearing on the inside edge, is this normal or does it need a 4 wheel alignment? Kwik fit are the cheapest on the tyres and have a Hunters alignment machine, they charge £45.00 but not for all 4 wheels. Does the IS300h have adjustment on all 4 wheels? Also, do I need to order any special Lexus fittting or XL load ? the current Yoko's seems fairly standard. 

Sorry for the questions in one thread but all related.

I had the goodyears on a Golf GTD (lease car!) it wasn't a great match for the vehicle at all - they didn't handle the torque performance of the vehicle, especially in the wet...BUT they were quiet tyres and did feel more comfortable the oem Dunlops, but those are known to be quite hard tyres! Hope that helps!

47 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Due to my bad back I'm changing the current Yokohama 225/45/17 on my IS300h Exec to Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance to get a more comfortable ride. They have very soft sidewalls so should make the ride less harsh at the expense of some body roll, I'm happy with that as I don't really use the car anywhere near the limit. Anyone have these fitted?

Also, the current rear tyres are wearing on the inside edge, is this normal or does it need a 4 wheel alignment? Kwik fit are the cheapest on the tyres and have a Hunters alignment machine, they charge £45.00 but not for all 4 wheels. Does the IS300h have adjustment on all 4 wheels? Also, do I need to order any special Lexus fittting or XL load ? the current Yoko's seems fairly standard. 

Sorry for the questions in one thread but all related.

Have had the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance fitted to my sons' car all around approx 5k miles ago. No problems, very quiet and the grip is excellent. 

However, you are certainly right about the sidewalls being soft - they almost look flat if inflated to quoted pressure so need pumping up to look normal. 

You don't need XL tyres, just standard ones. XL will make the ride firmer and no special Lexus fitting but make sure they don't rip the valve off as the car has TPMS!

Inside rear tyre wear is completely NORMAL on the IS300h. Its due to the slight negative camber on the rear from factory - dont waste your money.

8 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Have had the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance fitted to my sons' car all around approx 5k miles ago. No problems, very quiet and the grip is excellent. 

However, you are certainly right about the sidewalls being soft - they almost look flat if inflated to quoted pressure so need pumping up to look normal. 

You don't need XL tyres, just standard ones. XL will make the ride firmer and no special Lexus fitting but make sure they don't rip the valve off as the car has TPMS!

Inside rear tyre wear is completely NORMAL on the IS300h. Its due to the slight negative camber on the rear from factory - dont waste your money.

Thanks for the prompt reply, think I'll go with the GY Efficient Performnce as a decent price and hopefully give the Comfortable ride I'm after. 

i do remember reading that the inside tyre wear was normal but thought I check, Lexus dealer noted on the safety sheet check iand suggested 4w alignment, not sure why they recommend it if that's how it should be. I'll mention the valves to them, once again appreciate the advice.  

18 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Also, the current rear tyres are wearing on the inside edge, is this normal or does it need a 4 wheel alignment? .......

There have been some reports on this Forum about wear to the inside tread of the rear tyres of the IS300h.  If the problem, as my dealer

believes, is caused by the camber - which is more pronounced than it looks - it is unrectifiable.  I had the problem after approx. 38000km

with the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas 255/35-18", and what was particularly alarming was the suddenness of the final phase of the wear.

Having visually checked the tyres in the normal way of things and concluded that there was no hurry to buy new ones since the treads

looked acceptable and the wear uniform, I took the car in for a change to winters a couple of weeks later and with only 1200km or so

more on the clock.  Very luckily, as it turned out.  With the car on the bridge, the inside tread of the rears was revealed to be worn down                                                           

to the metal in a couple of spots and blistered or starting to blister in several others.  Nothing even remotely so severe happened with                                                 

the other brands I used on the car, in both cases for fewer km, namely Bridgestone Blizzaks (23000km over two winters) and Pirelli PZeros   

(16000km) but they also showed signs of uneven and possibly quicker wear on the rears.   Obviously, the only advice I would offer after  

this experience is to check the tyres of an IS300h for wear more closely and more frequently than one might be accustomed to doing -

especially after 15000km or so.

17 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, think I'll go with the GY Efficient Performnce as a decent price and hopefully give the Comfortable ride I'm after. 

i do remember reading that the inside tyre wear was normal but thought I check, Lexus dealer noted on the safety sheet check iand suggested 4w alignment, not sure why they recommend it if that's how it should be. I'll mention the valves to them, once again appreciate the advice.  

Yes they do seem to note it for some reason - I can only presume its because they can rack in some extra money from unsuspecting customers

@Rabbers is correct regarding the camber. 

The IS has significant negative camber on the rear causing the inner edge to wear. The camber is non adjustable which is why the issue will still remain regardless of whether you do 4 wheel alignment or not. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links