Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone else have to have the IS-F air con on pretty much all the time to stop the windows misting up? 

Doesn't really happen in this nicer weather but over the last 6 months I've had to use the air con on low non-stop, can't be doing the mpg much good. 

Wouldn't have thought mpg is a major concern when you choose to drive an IS-F. :wink3:

I have air-con on all the time and I've never measured the difference in mpg should I switch it off.  I don't do a high annual mileage so comfort is more important to me than mpg.  Think I read somewhere that air-con operational can cost an additional 5% in fuel ?

@Tom24 

My first observation is move south of the Midlands 😂

Second is the the more sensible one I guess in the pic below which setting do you have the recirculating air on ?IMG_2650.thumb.PNG.253468c0e1943e2595c4134c333b4655.PNG

Not wish to teach you to suck eggs but the two buttons to the right of the aircon.

Big Rat

56 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Tom24 

My first observation is move south of the Midlands 😂

Second is the the more sensible one I guess in the pic below which setting do you have the recirculating air on ?IMG_2650.thumb.PNG.253468c0e1943e2595c4134c333b4655.PNG

Not wish to teach you to suck eggs but the two buttons to the right of the aircon.

Big Rat

I didn't recognise that centre console to start with.  I hardly ever use air con, never have mist issues.  Could you have water inside.  

I do have misting issues if I don't use the aircon, particularly in winter, mine is on 12 months of the year, does it good to switch it on now and again, stops the seals drying out on the pump.

Meow...

In all seriousness I have had this on a couple of ocassions. 

Apparantly its due to mould build up on the condensors, normally get it if the car has been stood for a while and its damp outside.

Setting on full heat for 15 mins gets rid of it.

Currently it is on recirculating the air in the car, but I've tried all settings & various temperatures and it still has the same issue.

This time of year it is ok unless it's 1st thing in the morning. 

Can stick to having air con on its lowest fan setting year round, just wondered if any other owners experienced the same.

I remember all the vauxhalls I've had in the past were a pain for steaming up too. 

I think mine smells more without the air con on.....gives off a kind of damp smell.

Not sure if it's like cat *****, more rat ***** if anything......makes me wonder if Big Rat has been sabotaging the non-silver ones.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tom24 said:

I think mine smells more without the air con on.....gives off a kind of damp smell.

Not sure if it's like cat *****, more rat ***** if anything......makes me wonder if Big Rat has been sabotaging the non-silver ones.

@Tom24 IMG_2655.JPG.562b88bf615724e23a4287442a342ede.JPG

That you would think such a thing, I've never experienced any of these issues, my car lives outside does make a difference if they are garaged ?

Big Rat

I've had similar problems in the past, every couple of years I get the dealer to run some air con cleaner through the system, seems to solve the problem.

I've fixed pongy aircon plastercine smells by setting off an aircon biocide bomb can. Usually have the car running with the aircon in full recirculation and set the can off in the back footwell and let it recirc for however long it says.

Halfrauds used to sell the stuff but im sure there's more options online.

• Like 1

It may have already been said, but persistent misted windows (esp. in dry weather) can be a symptom of water ingress into the cabin, usually found through damp carpets, so may be worth investigating if so.  Mine does mist but only on start-up in cold or inclement weather which is when the aircon does its job.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mike m said:

I've fixed pongy aircon plastercine smells by setting off an aircon biocide bomb can. Usually have the car running with the aircon in full recirculation and set the can off in the back footwell and let it recirc for however long it says.

I do this. Usually to all our cars every other year. You can get the cans on a multi-buy from some eBay retailers. 

Its just mildew in the pipes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mike m said:

That sounds interesting, never heard of it before.

Will give it a go!

• Like 1

A friend is an A/C project manager & his advice was as above re putting the Air con on full heat for a while. As already said gets rid of the condensation that build up in the system and also causes the stale smell.. 

• Like 2

@DAW Funnily enough I was having a read up on this last night, so when I picked up Mrs Rat from the train station I ran the system on this basis going there.

Saw it explained this way on an aviation maintenance site.

Switched off in the car park where I waited for 25mins, train delayed surprise surprise, any way when we left air con system back on and no misting or smells, going to keep doing it for a week or so to see if the 'fix' continues.

Big Rat

• Like 1

I rarely have mine on re circ and when possible avoid the AC not for mpg reasons given the five litre v8, but its just not needed. I'd rather open the roof a bit. Now spring is here though, you need the ac more and more

I do ten k miles a year if that's relevant - but sometimes after the ac has been on the car sets itself to re circ. Then the bottom of the front screen starts to mist up at which point I turn it off and the misting goes.

makes sense really. A hot wet human in a car and re circ the air without the ac on = damp air. Damp air and cold glass = mist on glass.

also agree check for water ingress coz if misting is bad then the damp is coming from somewhere.

On 11/04/2017 at 0:09 PM, Ray-ISF said:

Meow...

In all seriousness I have had this on a couple of ocassions. 

Apparantly its due to mould build up on the condensors, normally get it if the car has been stood for a while and its damp outside.

Setting on full heat for 15 mins gets rid of it.

My 2014 IS300h is a pain with fusty, damp smells in the car. At first the dealers said it was the air-con, then suggested I have my recently replaced windscreen checked out. I did this and Autoglass reseated it and said it was fine. The fusty smell in the car continues and so far, lexus have been unable to fix, despite using disinfectant 'bombs' and goodness knows what else. Every time I go, it's 'do this, not that, do the other'... the latest suggestion is to always turn the air-con off 10 minutes before arriving at destination. Seems bonkers to me, and in any case, nothing works. I'm beginning to feel sure that many others have this same problem, and if so, it should be corrected under manufacturer's warranty. I've never had this problem with any other car - ever... and I've been driving for 50 years!

43 minutes ago, chris24 said:

My 2014 IS300h is a pain with fusty, damp smells in the car. At first the dealers said it was the air-con, then suggested I have my recently replaced windscreen checked out. I did this and Autoglass reseated it and said it was fine. The fusty smell in the car continues and so far, lexus have been unable to fix, despite using disinfectant 'bombs' and goodness knows what else. Every time I go, it's 'do this, not that, do the other'... the latest suggestion is to always turn the air-con off 10 minutes before arriving at destination. Seems bonkers to me, and in any case, nothing works. I'm beginning to feel sure that many others have this same problem, and if so, it should be corrected under manufacturer's warranty. I've never had this problem with any other car - ever... and I've been driving for 50 years!

Has your car got an "eco" setting? 

I only ask because my wife's RX450h has, which gains us an extra 1-2mpg by using the air con a LOT less. The down side is that it takes a lot longer to demist the screen and we get a few more musty smells from the vents...

Might be worth experimenting with? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links