Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sodding Speed Bumps................

A couple of weeks ago I was across in Scotland for a wedding. Driving through an area to the west of Glasgow, I came round a roundabout to find 2 of the biggest speed bumps I've ever seen. Seriously, these things were the size of aircraft chocks, with vertical ends. Luckily, I was only doing about 20mph and tried to avoid them, but it was too late.

There didn't seem to be any damage but, a couple of days later, I started to hear a noise from the front of the car. The noise has been getting worse and, now that I'm back in Holland, I took the car to my local dealer. They took it for a drive then put it on the ramp. They invited me to take a look and showed me that the passengers side front wheel bearing is shot.

So the car goes in next Tuesday to have the bearing replaced. Thankfully, the suspension bits are OK.

As I said, sodding speed bumps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tulpen said:

A couple of weeks ago I was across in Scotland for a wedding. Driving through an area to the west of Glasgow, I came round a roundabout to find 2 of the biggest speed bumps I've ever seen. Seriously, these things were the size of aircraft chocks, with vertical ends. Luckily, I was only doing about 20mph and tried to avoid them, but it was too late.

There didn't seem to be any damage but, a couple of days later, I started to hear a noise from the front of the car. The noise has been getting worse and, now that I'm back in Holland, I took the car to my local dealer. They took it for a drive then put it on the ramp. They invited me to take a look and showed me that the passengers side front wheel bearing is shot.

So the car goes in next Tuesday to have the bearing replaced. Thankfully, the suspension bits are OK.

As I said, sodding speed bumps.

From the description given they do not fit the spec for speed bumps.Try sending a Solicitors`s letter to Glasgow City Council with the original of your invoice for the repair to your car cused by the Council`s negiligence.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Potholes and speed bumps are the main contributor wheel bearing failure there was a  borough council a short while ago removed the majority of speed bumps in its area because of claims for  suspension and running gear damage to vehicles of all descriptions.

• Like 2

Too right on darned speed bumps, I have negotiate some on the way to work, anything above 15mph is jarring, yet most people seem to carry on at 30mph, so I assume they have no idea of the damage being done to their shocks and running gear.

I recall from my time of working in Holland  that the Dutch just remove all road markings where they want drivers to slow down, as without white lines etc, then you tend to drop your speed down, or maybe the Dutch are a little more civil when it comes to respecting that it's not only cars that use the road.

As a part time cyclist, i would say the majority of speed humps make matters worse, as drivers and cyclists work out the best way to avoid them.

Still I once had a county highways dept as a client many years ago, and what was quite clear to me was that none of them knew what road users really needed to make sure driving was safe.

The other thing about humps is that they increase pollution as you have to rev up after slowing down, so just a slower death by fumes.:wallbash:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

The other thing about humps is that they increase pollution as you have to rev up after slowing down, so just a slower death by fumes.:wallbash:

Plenty of speed bumps around here too.

Something I've noticed around Swansea in the last year is fences being constructed between lanes on dual carriageways when approaching roundabouts.  This makes the motorist stop before entering the roundabout instead of looking ahead and entering in third gear if safe to do so.  This is wasting loads of fuel too....and it's us that's paying for it !  This occurring anywhere else ?

Thanks for your thoughts, folks..........the car still has its original wheel bearings, it has only done 70,000 miles.

One of my relatives is going to take a picture of the bumps and send it to me.

Here in Holland, there are speed bumps, but they tend to be the 'soft, rounded' variety and are very low profile. The preferred method of traffic calming is to build a smooth, fast(ish) bypass round towns and villages. If you decide to try and take a shortcut through a village, you are faced with single-lane chicanes which really slow you down.

Last, but certainly not least, any potholes are fixed very quickly.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2017 at 5:45 PM, steveledzep said:

Plenty of speed bumps around here too.

Something I've noticed around Swansea in the last year is fences being constructed between lanes on dual carriageways when approaching roundabouts.  This makes the motorist stop before entering the roundabout instead of looking ahead and entering in third gear if safe to do so.  This is wasting loads of fuel too....and it's us that's paying for it !  This occurring anywhere else ?

Yep, same here in Derbyshire forcing you to come to almost a halt before you can see if you are clear.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, ambermarine said:

Potholes and speed bumps are the main contributor wheel bearing failure there was a  borough council a short while ago removed the majority of speed bumps in its area because of claims for  suspension and running gear damage to vehicles of all descriptions.

Thats interesting, do you have any leads to the case so it could be used as ref, not that I have probs but did have to replace suspension arms (I think it was that) a couple of years back.

Denis

The two that were quoted in newspaper reports were Barnet ( London) and Sheffield who cited them as being ineffectual but they would say that rather than admit the real reason so as to avoid a flood of claims.

There are a host of councils at the moment either lowering them or removing them and the directive as come from the Government who have demanded a calmer way of calming the traffic .I suggest yoga.

As for your upper arms they would be requiring replacement at some time simply on wear and tear and are not as vunerable to direct shock as the wheel bearing and bottom ball joint as the joint does not carry the vertical weight load as the the other two.

13 hours ago, dendonc said:

Thats interesting, do you have any leads to the case so it could be used as ref, not that I have probs but did have to replace suspension arms (I think it was that) a couple of years back.

Try this Den.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-3011178/How-make-successful-claim-pothole-damage-claiming-damaged-roads-fewer-getting-compensation.html

Regards

John

• Like 1

I've got the car back, bearing replaced.......peace and quiet has returned. They showed me the old one and it was in a very bad state. I had asked them to take a VERY close look at the other bearing and all of the front suspension; they were able to reassure me that everything else is OK.

They gave me an almost-new IS 300h to run around in for a couple of days - very nice car with great handling. It had 'flappy paddle' gear change; I played with it for a couple of minutes, then put the actual gear lever back where it belongs in a Lexus........Drive :)

My only gripe was secondary controls! You can get in any LS (400/430/460/600) and the controls are all logical and, more or less, in the same position. In the IS, it took me ages to work out the radio and the 'Auto' selection for the wipers was a button on the end of the stalk.

Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my (LS) ways..........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

My Citroen DS23 used to glide over 'sleeping policemen'.

Chris, this one wasn't sleeping.......it was on all fours - wearing a steel helmet :)