Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 Drive Shaft CV Gaiter-Unavailable

Hard to accept that Lexus won't supply a replacement CV gaiter for 460 half shafts.   They don't have a problem with their CV half shafts according to the muppet who spoke to me today so his rationale was they don't need to service the gaiter when it splits.   At £750 for a new shaft I am drawn to fixing the split gaiter by other means, even considering these split gaiters that swamp the internet and youtube.  

First noticed grease on the inside lip of my osr wheel rim when I removed the wheels for cleaning.  Yes as anal as it sounds I take my wheels off once every 3 weeks and deal with all the crap that accumulates on the inside over such a short period.    As soon as I saw the grease I went straight to the outer cv gaiter.  Sure enough a slit about 2 inches in length was evident.    Deemed by most people as wear and tear I thought I'd get a cv kit from Lexus but now find they don't list anything, just a new shaft. Bummer !!

Closed the split temporarily with good old fashioned guerrilla tape and it worked so no more grease can get out but hardly the solution I really want.

Anyone had a similar issue??

SAM_0851.jpg

It's potty that you can't source an boot from Lexus, are any alternatives listed at your local auto factor?

If push comes to shove, I used a split gaiter years ago and it held up perfectly well.  At least until the car died a death, 3/4 years later.  They're quick to install too :wink3:

Good luck getting a new boot installed 'cos gaffer tape isn't going to last long.  At least we're out of the winter rainy season, we now just have the summer rain to look forward too!

Thanks guys for the advise and possible solutions. Grateful.

My dealer, where I bought the car from and have it serviced,  is very customer focused and has submitted a warranty claim under my extended Lexus warranty and is waiting to hear back.  Their opinion was they have never ever had to fit a drive shaft on a 460 and given there is so many suspension and braking components surrounding the outer cv joint they find it hard to believe anything could fly up from the road and inflict damage right along the edge of one of the moulded peaks of the gaiter.  Rather,  they say defective material.  At 65,000 miles it might take some convincing a warranty Engineer but you never know, maybe a contribution as the car was sold new and is only serviced by them from new too.   It's true that front wheel drive cv gaiters will take more abuse given the fact the front wheels have to steer the car and therefore the gaiter twists and turns more than a rear shaft.    If it falls down I think I will try gluing as Chris suggests with a super glue of some sort by applying it on one side of the split and then turn the shaft round till both surfaces come together and then pinch it while it sets, after all these split cv boot kits must be using something similar.    

Good to hear that the dealer is 'fighting your corner', good luck.

True, although a dedicated split boot has overlapping material that allows the adhesive to bond well, like this;

cvboot2.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's appalling that the longevity of simple components is compromised these days by Lexus  ..  the pursuit of what ??  certainly not perfection or anything coming close.

The more I read of Lexus expecting such failures to be " normal fair wear and tear "  ( maybe not this specific one but hey ! who knows )  I read in another post that air suspension at 100k miles failure is simply all ok and not unexpected :wallbash: .............. aren't some of us so lucky having our sturdy steeds in old fashioned but uncompromised Ls400s  :wub:

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I think it's appalling that the longevity of simple components is compromised these days by Lexus  ..  the pursuit of what ??  certainly not perfection or anything coming close.

The more I read of Lexus expecting such failures to be " normal fair wear and tear "  ( maybe not this specific one but hey ! who knows )  I read in another post that air suspension at 100k miles failure is simply all ok and not unexpected :wallbash: .............. aren't some of us so lucky having our sturdy steeds in old fashioned but uncompromised Ls400s  :wub:

Malc

Unfortunately they will not last forever Malc. I have heard zimmer frames are very reliable .......... probably my next port of call at my age!

• Like 1

I think the boot Farqui posted is about the best I have seen as you can clearly see how the resin adhesive would lay on the lip of the boot edge and the opposite side would lay directly on it.  However:

HEARD TODAY THAT LEXUS HAS ACCEPTED THE WARRANTY CLAIM AND HAVE AUTHORISED A NEW DRIVE SHAFT TO BE FITTED.   SOMEWHAT SURPRISED AS I HAD GEARED UP FOR A REJECTION.  FEEL NOW THE £1670   I SPENT ON TWO YEARS EXTENDED WARRANTY TO HAVE BEEN WORTH IT.

I was pretty confident I would have repaired the split cv gaiter had I needed to but won't have to now. However:

As pleased as I am the drive shaft (£1000 invoice total) will be met by Lexus, my dealer has warned me the abs sensor and electric parking brake cable need to be removed as part of the pull down of the rear suspension to get the shaft out.   These two items are prone to seizure so could be extra.  My confidence in the dealer though is high and they have said they will endeavour to get them off carefully as these parts won't be stood by Lexus.  This is why a good dealer who takes care of their customers is worth going back to. They are 150 miles from where I live whereas the local dealer to me is only 5 miles away and both service reception Engineers dismissed any chance of a warranty claim.  They couldn't even be bothered to put a call in to Lexus, arrogant tossers.

Also I want to have the auto transmission fluid changed as it's covered 65,000 miles.   I know people say sealed for life and all that but you've guessed it, local dealer 5 mile away say NO!!, not necessary,   my dealer where I bought the car and have it serviced 150 miles away say  YES, no problem if that is what you want, £170 job done.

The service manager who has sorted out everything for me said this to me today,  " You know it beggars belief that a dealer local to you gives up so easily the opportunity to sell some labour and parts in a situation like yours, whether it's warranty or retail.  Every opportunity to earn some additional monies should be in the forefront of a dealer's mind knowing that the customer will want to come back time and again when they need looking after".     Wise words I think without being predatory towards loyal customers.  I'll let you know if the abs sensor and handbrake cable were replaced or not.

Steve 

• Like 4

I would like to think that is not the case, if so, it is very naive in this day and age. An opportunity to build trust and a new customer, whichever way you look at it.

• Like 1

Spacewagon makes a fair point, who knows what dealers think about people who buy elsewhere and don't use their facilities,   although  LS460's are still a very low volume vehicle so sourcing one on your own door step would be a stroke of luck.  

I travelled to Bolton, Derby, Hull, Leicester and finally Carlisle before I found the right car.  Leeds and Bradford both 5 miles from my home never once had a LS460 for sale that was in the year range I was looking for.   I've had the car 18 months and never used the 2 local dealers near me  apart from buying parts and I never discussed with them where I bought it.  

I have been into my local dealer face to face and discussed several things but not once did I feel welcome. Maybe they just thought I was a tyre kicker, obtaining pricing for jobs but never buying.   Once though my car was parked outside the main Lexus entrance and a salesman came out as I was leaving and he asked if I was selling the car, he was trying to locate a Sienna Red 460 for a customer but was struggling to find one.     He was the only chap who gave me the time of day.    Don't get me wrong, I'm not some hyper sensitive being who wants total respect from Lexus dealers but I spent my whole working life in the motor trade and I know what customer service is when I witness it.   In another 2 years I will want to swap the 460 for a 600 and I will be asking Carlisle to find it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SH20 said:

but I spent my whole working life in the motor trade and I know what customer service is when I witness it.  

I spent many years there too, selling good 2ndhand cars of all marques and we never let a potential customer pass without engaging him/her. So many of our clients, out in the sticks looked like scruffs and vagabonds when they were quite refined gentlemen farmers with pig poo etc all over but quite well minted ........  hahahaha, sheep farmers too.

I am quite amazed when I'm totally ignored when visiting car stands at shows etc and when taking a car to main dealers for recall work or whatever, just how i am totally ignored and clearly considered worthless  ............  has anyone ever seen Richard Branson not wearing jeans and looking other than worth a fiver rather than a million dollars ?

sigh :sad:..........  Malc

Good customer service. I imagine it might be hard to maintain a smile and a friendly word in a high pressure environment like McD's but I have rarely seen a car salesman rushed off their feet. The question begs - "Is it worth giving good customer service?" Will people return their custom or will they just go for the cheapest?

My father once said people are too fickle when it comes to loyalty vs. money. I disagree with him, as I would gladly pay a bit extra knowing I am getting good service. 

Coffee and biscuits at the dealers - yes you do pay for it, but at the end of the day it is your choice. Getting that balance between paying a bit extra and being ripped off is tricky!