Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recomendation

Posted in the IS 250 section - think it fits better here ...

I have the possibility of accepting a job - issue I have is the distance.

The daily commute will be 140 mile round trip compared with 10 at the moment !! ... a big difference.

I am considering it but it would mean me changing the car - don't want to as its been well looked after. If needs must I want to stay with the Lexus brand. I can keep mine at the moment but would look to reduce fuel costs. Have guestimated that fuel cost per month would be around £300 per month using existing car - would be all motorway (90% at least)

I want to stay petrol but unsure what the best option would be in upgrading to a newer model - Hybrid would, I expect return the mpg I would look for but what model would best replicate the kit on an SE-L. Not looking for speed, just something similar and as reliable as the one I currently have. Any issues with these hybrids?

Anyone got any suggestions - I have looked on Autotrader through whats available and the IS 300H 2.5 reports an mpg of average mpg 64.2. is that more or less accurate - like I say, the journey would be mostly motorway.

My advice would be don't have a knee-jerk reaction. Consider the Job/time/expense. How much would you actually save? Changing cars is expensive, that will buy quite a bit of fuel. Have you done the run to see what MPG you actually get? How much EXTRA in fuel will it cost you? Will the renumeration more than cover the cost? 

• Like 2

my 300h is returning 47 - 48 mpg at the moment the is 300h will run in ev mode up to speeds of around 45mph with light throttle

on the motorway you will be running on petrol all the time only when acceleterating will you use the electric motors in conjunction

with the petrol engine

That would have to be a very good job to get me to spend 3 hours a day fighting with the motorway traffic.

The motorway is not the best place to take advantage of a hybrid. The battery/electric motor is best around town or on A roads. At motorway speeds (70+ mph) the motor is not used and you are just carrying a heavy Battery in the boot.

The claimed mpg figure is a lot higher than reality. Having said that the IS is a nice place to spend time. I think you will not save as much as you think in petrol, plus the depreciation etc. Have you thought about electric?

Is there an alternative route to the motorway? I spent a few months commuting 90 miles a day and found it much more economical and interesting to use the A roads. Got 65 mpg in the summer months.

May be better to get a diesel for the commute and keep the Lexus for the weekends.

• Like 3

Irrespective of the mpg and which car etc.

I spent eleven years commuting at least to Cardiff on a daily basis, a 120 miles round trip.  I say at least, because I'd often visit offices in Swindon, Avonmouth, Exeter and Portsmouth.  All of this was in company diesel vehicles, Passat, Accord etc.

Those days I was working 60 hours a week and doing 50,000+ miles pa.

For the last ten years I've done a 10 mile daily round trip and working 37 hours a week.

I imagine that I may live a little longer :smile:.

Think very, very carefully before you go for the new job.

• Like 4

I do 260 miles when I go into work (Is250) I get 37.5 mpg. You could spend more on a hybrid but you'll probably get 10 mpg more - worth looking into whether the cost of the new car is worth the saving in fuel - how many months until you break even?

Good points - not accepted yet

43 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

That would have to be a very good job to get me to spend 3 hours a day fighting with the motorway traffic.

The motorway is not the best place to take advantage of a hybrid. The battery/electric motor is best around town or on A roads. At motorway speeds (70+ mph) the motor is not used and you are just carrying a heavy battery in the boot.

The claimed mpg figure is a lot higher than reality. Having said that the IS is a nice place to spend time. I think you will not save as much as you think in petrol, plus the depreciation etc. Have you thought about electric?

Is there an alternative route to the motorway? I spent a few months commuting 90 miles a day and found it much more economical and interesting to use the A roads. Got 65 mpg in the summer months.

May be better to get a diesel for the commute and keep the Lexus for the weekends.

I guess this would be your neck of the woods .. Roads are A55 / A483 / A5 to Shrewsbury

I was traveling from Middlewich to Stone. Three junctions on the M6 18 to 15, which at the moment is a pain. Apparently there has been a accident on the M6 in Cheshire nearly every day for 5 years. I don't like motorways as you are constantly looking out for lorries moving from lane 1 to 2 and the BMW brigade who own lane 3. I found the A51 much quieter, more interesting and fun to drive. It was also more economical. It took a few minutes extra than the M6 on a good day but less stressful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Think very, very carefully before you go for the new job.

100% agree I wasted 3 year of my life doing a 100 mile round trip commute. I put up with it because I knew it was only going to be a few years, but towards the end I was getting really frustrated by it.

6pm every day spent sitting in traffic watching your life waste away.... No thanks, wouldn't be doing that ever again especially now that we got a kid to come home to.

• Like 2

And if the job doesn't work out?

Better the devil you know - maybe?

In the Summer it might be ok'ish ... but in the Winter - yuk.

Horses for courses, I work our of any of 42 sites around the UK and the closest is an hour from my home.  However I do get classed as working from home so 1-2 days I will work from home and I do stay in hotels multiple times a month.   Not really an issue for me, some days will do a 300 mile commute.  Sometime do Glasgow and back in a day.  It's all a trade off.   Currently working on an early retirement anyway so know it won't be forever (although currently in my 17th year of doing this).   I know I certainly could not go back to a 9-5 office job.   The Lexus has made the commute very enjoyable anyway.  Best car I've driven in a very very long time.

• Like 2

On the actual issue, I'd be amazed if it were more economical to replace your car (unless you were thinking of replacing it anyway). I also don't know your circumstances - if you could put a hybrid vehicle through a business you would save a bit. Still not enough, I suspect.

Just on the side note re the route, I always use the A51 if driving Ireland-southern England via Holyhead precisely because, as noted above, it's more interesting and perfectly calm!

• Like 3

On 12/04/2017 at 10:06 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Good points - not accepted yet

I guess this would be your neck of the woods .. Roads are A55 / A483 / A5 to Shrewsbury

I drive from Gloucester to Telford, Wellington and Shrewsbury at least once a week. Ideal roads for the Lexus hybrid as little traffic and the car is constantly in and out of EV mode. Part of the journey from Gloucester to Worcester North is motorway and computer always shows average around 46.9, although I n reality it is just over 43mpg. Bear in mind I have the F Sport which isn't as good on fuel as other models. 

Edited by olliesgrandad
Incorrect data accidentally submitted