Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus LS 430 back boxes mufflers removed.

Hi all. 

Got back boxes mufflers removed and strait pipes welded on with 4" tips. Not great video but you get an idea. On motorway no noise just like normal but on low gears / revs you hear V8 roar. My old boxes were badly rusted so it was cheaper to just remove them and go for pipes with tips. 

IMG_8597.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

IMG_8599.JPG

IMG_8600.JPG

IMG_8601.JPG

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Nice job!  How does it ride with those wheels?

To be honest I find ride much better than oem wheels. They are 20" with 245/35 tyres and ride is absolutely spot on. Air pressure 42 all round. 

Dont miss my oem at all :) 

I'm interested in one of those valve bypass switches. It would be nice to hear that V8 growl sometimes (as we are paying for it at the pumps!) but not all the time.

2 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

My neighbour told me that he liked "not hearing" my car drive past!

The silent glide design.

True, but It was way too quite for my liking. To be honest on long run its very quite as normal, on low revs you hear v8 roaring.

Few months ago my neighbour bought Mustang GT and then I just couldn't resist :)

its lovely when we both start our V8's in morning :)

2 hours ago, goldtop said:

I'm interested in one of those valve bypass switches. It would be nice to hear that V8 growl sometimes (as we are paying for it at the pumps!) but not all the time.

I was thinking about same thing and spoke to few exhaust places but all of them refused to fit it. What they said since its underneath car exposed to water, road salt etc etc after few months dust, crap gets in and makes it very hard for electronic flap to open n shut and eventually it gets jammed.

17 hours ago, katana92_uk said:

To be honest I find ride much better than oem wheels. They are 20" with 245/35 tyres and ride is absolutely spot on. Air pressure 42 all round. 

Dont miss my oem at all :) 

Interesting, and the big wheels really suit it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection!

I just had my MOT today which thankfully my LS430 passed again for the 16th time, but it came back with its first ever advisory of a small leak in one of the rear backboxes. I am considering doing what you have had done and just replace the mufflers with a straight pipe to 1) resolve the leak which will inevitably get worse and 2) improve the sound. I know making our cars louder divides opinion but I like the V8 sound/rumble and previously had a custom exhaust on a BMW e39 M5 which I had for about 30k miles, so I know I can live with the sound everyday!

Out of interest how much did this straight pipe set up cost you all in? Was it really just as simply as getting someone to cut the exhaust just behind the backboxes and then weld in a couple of pipes? Did you have any MOT issues with this when the time came regarding the set up or noise?

Many thanks!