Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 performance panel filter

peachy

I'm considering putting a performance panel filter such as a kN or pipercross into my is250.

Has anybody else here tried this? did it make any difference in sound or power.

Those types of filters worked ok on carburettor engines but on modern injection engines with MAF and ECU controlled fuelling they have no effect on power. They may increase induction noise though.

OEM filters don't restrict breathing on the unmodified engine. Once one starts with remaps and other tuning mods the engine would benefit from a better induction but would require bigger cross section intake and supply pipework too. 

Personally i wouldn't fit the oiled type filter, they've been shown to allow the engine to ingest much higher amounts of crap. If over oiled they can adversely affect the MAF.

I have K&N, but that is more because of reducing maintenance. You put it once and then can keep cleaning and oiling it. No difference in intake sound or performance... Or at least nothing you can feel.

44 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have K&N, but that is more because of reducing maintenance. You put it once and then can keep cleaning and oiling it. No difference in intake sound or performance... Or at least nothing you can feel.

What's the schedule for the IS250? On my RC300h the filter is inspected every 24mths and replaced every 48mths. How expensive are Lexus air filters?

• Like 1

To be honest I don't know. I check mine ~ every 6 month. I believe Lexus ones being checked each year and replaced every 2 years, whereas K&N can be cleaned and oiled like 5 times every 20k miles and lasts like 100k miles.

They are cheap anyway, price is not concern, I hoped maybe for slightly better intake sound (probably more applicable for F-Sport) and maybe allowing engine to "breath" easier. K&N ones was like £18, while Lexus charges like £22-24 for filter in dealership, but you can buy Lexus genuine one for like £8-9 on ebay/amazon.

7 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

What's the schedule for the IS250? On my RC300h the filter is inspected every 24mths and replaced every 48mths. How expensive are Lexus air filters?

Pretty sure that Lexus schedule the air filter for every 35,000 miles ..... which is completely bonkers.

I do mine every 12 months or so but check every 6 just to be sure.

Buying elsewhere they are around £12-15. The cabin filter is as little as £7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Pretty sure that Lexus schedule the air filter for every 35,000 miles ..... which is completely bonkers.

I do mine every 12 months or so but check every 6 just to be sure.

Buying elsewhere they are around £12-15. The cabin filter is as little as £7.

At such a reasonable cost I'd be doing them every 12mths, not worth messing about ... 

I've seen what a 48mth old filter can look like, once I'd knocked the leaves out :wacko:

• Like 1

It's highly unlikely a panel will give you any extra power or induction sound. 

Personally I would fit the F-sport intake or k&N typhoon. Not cheap I know but could give you about 5 more horses and definitely sound better. 

but K&N typhoon you would need to declare it as modification and from my experience and rather scientific tests on the internet it seems that on NA engine cars actually loses power with aftermarket filters.The difference between F-Sport and standard intake is just that F-Sport has sound amplifying tube going to the cabin, but all IS250 regardless of trim makes same power - meaning that F-Sport intake doesn't add power - but I would definitely add it for improved intake sound (if not the cost and complexity of fitting).

I have the K&N panel oiled one - have had it on the car for 4 years now - had one on previous cars - wife has one also.

Cost wise, now it is paying for itself but initially compared to an annual change of a throw away type, it was expensive. Just cleaned mine today (washed and dried it last night, oiled it today) I can say that it does initially have a result in greater acceleration - noticeable - not dramatic but definitely improvement - can say this as when the filters drying overnight I will put an old throwaway one in the car if I need to use the car. When the oiled one goes back in there's a definite noticeable improvement.

Like mentioned above - too much oil on them will clog the MAF but its hard to over oil them.

Maybe I notice a difference more as most of the time owning the car I had a free flow stainless exhaust on - now I have a bigger bore exhaust pipe on the exhaust with quad boxes...more air in / more gasses out. With the filter installed it doesn't create any noise compared to the throw away type  - the filter will let more air in but the oil, as its a bit tacky, will stop contaminants. You will see this when cleaning it.

I will clean the filter every year but really it depends on where the cars being driven - a dusty environment will clog it quicker. I usually clean it after the winter, after all the salt and grime has gone.

I would recommend one but its personal choice.

Why not just pop one into your airbox peachy and post back with the results. They are as cheap as chips to buy and last a lot longer than the oem if cleaned regularly. 

Personally I think it will give you the placebo effect like filling up with shell nitro and being convinced your car is now quicker. 

Stock Toyota filters aren't restrictive so you really won't get any benefit, especially if you don't also get a better flowing exhaust and a remap. You may get a slightly better sound but the stock airbox will mask most of that. The have been plenty of issues reported with people over oiling the filters so you need to be careful there when cleaning. They also don't filter as well as the OEM filters but not really a problem in the UK climate.

I've personally tried K&Ns on two or three different cars in the past, don't bother these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been running a k&N panel filter for the last 5 days and to be fair it has made no difference at all in response or induction sound. 

One thing I have noticed is when stationery I get a rough idle on the rev counter.  Probably the maf picking up the oil on the filter.

I switched back to the OEM filter this afternoon and it's stopped the erratic idle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links