Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Light Confusion on ls400

got in the motor the other day to find the handbrake warning light stuck on, a quick check revealed the rear brake light was out, 

well i was expecting a thing on the dash, but i assume thats the reason for the handbrake light, so i remove it to check the bulb,

now here is the thing i am not sure about,  there are 3 wires coming from the bulb, its a stop and tail light but only the brake light seems wired in, 

in the pic above the indicator is side lamp only and below the indicator is the brake light only, is this normal or some one been messing in mine???

s-l1600.jpg

Wow what a lovely looking ls400, lovely colour too and ls430 wheels really suit it. Sorry I can't help you with the issue your having, I had an x reg ls400 and none of the bulbs blue so really wouldn't know where to start. It was the same colour as yours as Well. I miss it now lol

• Like 2

Steve

The bulbs are all the same type in that combination lens the reason for the third wire is one of the wires goes to the lamp fail ecu that is located in the boot just inside the left hand boot hinge if you pull the flap to one side you will see a green module that is wired in series from the lamps in the combination lens and when the bulbs fail(whichever) it sends the signal to the lamp on the handbrake icon.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The upper red section is tail light only on mine and the bottom section brake light only, is the bottom section bulb a single or twin filament on yours?

IMG_0664.JPG

Its a twin filament 

30 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Steve

The bulbs are all the same type in that combination lens the reason for the third wire is one of the wires goes to the lamp fail ecu that is located in the boot just inside the left hand boot hinge if you pull the flap to one side you will see a green module that is wired in series from the lamps in the combination lens and when the bulbs fail(whichever) it sends the signal to the lamp on the handbrake icon.

I get ya. I think maybe someone stuck a stop tail bulb cus thats all they had

I will pop a stock bulb in in confidence its all ok.  Cheers for the help folks 

I'm surprised a 5/21W dual filament bulb fitted the holder as the locking prongs are displaced but they can be forced in I guess.

Cheers for the wire explanation Phil, that makes good sense.