Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Path to Lexus and the ISF

In my opinion, Lexus ownership and even more so, ISF ownership, isn't the obvious choice (initially) for a car or sports saloon. Growing up, the cars to have were the usual Germans (Merc, Audi, BMW) etc. Just interested to know how everyone arrived at Lexus. 

Having had several turbo charged cars, fancied something with a big engine, all the other choices LED to potential expensive failures. Stumbled across a post with the isf mentioned, done my homework whilst saving and watching prices for a year and hey presto!  Enjoying driving it, loving the noise and the looks from surprised drivers.

• Like 2

My Lexus journey started back in 2004/5 when my boss at that time (and his wife) were Lexus drivers and big advocates of the brand. At the time I largely took no notice of Lexus and was driving an Audi S3. Fast forward to 2013 after many years of company cars  and I decided to come out of the scheme and opt for a car allowance. I wanted something different, went through all the usual suspects, 3 series, c class, A4 etc. Then I thought back to my old boss and Lexus. I liked the look of the IS and soon after IS250 ownership started. After some tinkering (tasteful oem mods of course, mainly F sport), I stumbled accross the ISF. Joined the forum in summer 2015, learning about the car and liked what I was hearing. Eventually purchased from a fellow forum member in February 2016! ☺ 

So starting off it was word of mouth that took me to Lexus and a good ownership experience with the IS250 that gave me the confidence to step up to an ISF

• Like 1

Just now, Mattmech said:

Having had several turbo charged cars, fancied something with a big engine, all the other choices led to potential expensive failures. Stumbled across a post with the isf mentioned, done my homework whilst saving and watching prices for a year and hey presto!  Enjoying driving it, loving the noise and the looks from surprised drivers.

Really wanted a V8 and having had Jap cars all my life it seemed like the natural choice.  

I'm also a little wierd in so far as i need to be different, the ISF could of been the worst car in the world and i may well still of bought it.  I drove the RS4, C63, M3 and found that they were all really good cars, problem was the image and how regularly you see them.  After I drove them i knew it was an ISF for me!!

Much to my relief, the ISF ain't too bad!!Lol.

I had never considered Lexus before now, they are in all honesty, a little boring.  For the first time in my life however I'm seriously considering staying with the brand.  The RCF and GSF both really appeal to me along with the ISF, so much so, I'm looking for reasons to justify swapping the ISF for a GSF or RCF.

There's something in my heart telling me that I'd regret it though....... There's just something special about the ISF

• Like 3

I was the same about the IS250 @Jgtcracer, could've been the worst car ever but I wanted the change, lucky it was a great decision and converted me to Lexus.

I'm sure you'll find the RCF/GSF have their own charm when the time is right. No rush as the ISF is a fantastic car!

Had jap cars for years and love their reliability and relative rarity. I wanted something comfortable and a good step up in performance over my legacy and the F was about the only option! I'd read the magazine reports, especially the later stuff in evo so I knew it was a good choice 😊

Like others, I think I'll really struggle to move away from the brand now I've experienced the ownership experience 🖒

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

I was the same about the IS250 @Jgtcracer, could've been the worst car ever but I wanted the change, lucky it was a great decision and converted me to Lexus.

I'm sure you'll find the RCF/GSF have their own charm when the time is right. No rush as the ISF is a fantastic car!

Yea, the GSF appeals because it's a new car and it's got to be more luxurious than the ISF.  RCF is cool but not sure on the styling to be honest.  Had a look at one in Lexus Newcastle around a month ago and thought it didn't look as good in the flesh

I was looking to replace my wifes car, I looked at Range Rovers but reliability issues put me off, VW Touareg, hopeless dealership, Volvo XC90, which she didn't like and finally looked at Lexus, took an RX out for test drive and that was it I bought the RX and bought a 250F Sport for myself a year later however after a few months I needed more power and started the search for something else, I checked out all the usual cars, RS4 / RS6, M3/ M5 but as others have already stated they can have an image problem so it was between a Monaro VXR and the IS-F, as soon as I drove the Lexus that was it for me, I have had the car 15 months and it still puts a smile on my face.

• Like 2

Having owned a number of powerful cars (2 x RS4 b7's, TTRS, RS6 AVANT B7, V8 M3 etc) I loved the exclusivity of my old ISF and was hugely tempted to have another. This time I tried the RCF but my 12yr really struggled both both head and leg room in the rear and if I'm honest it wasn't as exciting as the ISF I would recommend the ISF to anyone this time around I have chosen to go the route of a C63 AMG Coupe which is just a beast....

The ISF values seem to be really steady at the minute, hopefully it stays that way for the street sleepers...

• Like 1

Dad has had 2 ISF's from new. I wanted one since driving his first back in 2008. Only being 21 at the time. He just took delivery of his RCF, so was able to buy his second one off him at the start of this year, now that insurance and the like is actually affordable. He got it because of the exclusivity, subtle styling and lack of "image" German competitor cars have. He liked it could blend in, rather than be all loud and shouty. I agree wholeheartedly. We keep going back to Lexus because on the whole, service is excellent, reliability is good and they are willing to do a deal if you get the timing right.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Toothy said:

Dad has had 2 ISF's from new. I wanted one since driving his first back in 2008. Only being 21 at the time. He just took delivery of his RCF, so was able to buy his second one off him at the start of this year, now that insurance and the like is actually affordable. He got it because of the exclusivity, subtle styling and lack of "image" German competitor cars have. He liked it could blend in, rather than be all loud and shouty. I agree wholeheartedly. We keep going back to Lexus because on the whole, service is excellent, reliability is good and they are willing to do a deal if you get the timing right.

Ah, so that's why yours is in such good nick! 😁

• Like 1

After many ever-faster Subarus, I wanted smooth power with the same reliability. I live in Cheshire so Audi, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes are just too common.

When I bought the ISF, Jaguar had not released the XE, and I'm still waiting for an XER as a realistic alternative. A new ISF would be top of my list, if they made one

• Like 2

Mine started back in 2002 with the IS200 sport, about a week after purchasing I saw an IS300, two years later had an IS300 aero, my mum bought an IS250 SE-L as I'd never purchased the same Marc twice, she passed away after 5 yrs of ownership, the car came to me and I enjoyed it for 5yrs too though driving with gritted teeth that someone would hit me, after consulting my sister n wife I opted for the F......I love the car BUT with kids, dog, caravan (V70 for towing) a bike, mk1 mr2 and the wife's car my road fund costs (although my F is only £235) and insurance premiums are getting beyond a joke, it may have to go along with the V70 to make May for an all rounder to try and reduce my driving costs, still trying to justify keeping the car but loath to use daily for work, but hay ho time will tell......think it's something I'd massively regret if I went that way though 😳

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Womble72 said:

Mine started back in 2002 with the IS200 sport, about a week after purchasing I saw an IS300, two years later had an IS300 aero, my mum bought an IS250 SE-L as I'd never purchased the same Marc twice, she passed away after 5 yrs of ownership, the car came to me and I enjoyed it for 5yrs too though driving with gritted teeth that someone would hit me, after consulting my sister n wife I opted for the F......I love the car BUT with kids, dog, caravan (V70 for towing) a bike, mk1 mr2 and the wife's car my road fund costs (although my F is only £235) and insurance premiums are getting beyond a joke, it may have to go along with the V70 to make May for an all rounder to try and reduce my driving costs, still trying to justify keeping the car but loath to use daily for work, but hay ho time will tell......think it's something I'd massively regret if I went that way though 😳

Please don't sell, you will regret it.  It's red too!!  What could you realistically replace it with?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jgtcracer said:

Please don't sell, you will regret it.  It's red too!!  What could you realistically replace it with?

Red was and is my favourite colour in these, been looking at the RR sport TDV8. I'd be gutted to tamp silly miles up and also the chance of deteriorating the wheels etc.....think it would destroy me, parking at work isn't an issue due to having a private car park, just the every day use I'd feel it deserves a better home, I can't get the kids n dog in the back, don't particularly want the dog in it full stop. A RR would fit our requirements better BUT that's not a definite either, when it sits there it's a waste, when I use it I love it, head says one thing, heart n life is saying something else 😔

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Red was and is my favourite colour in these, been looking at the RR sport TDV8. I'd be gutted to tamp silly miles up and also the chance of deteriorating the wheels etc.....think it would destroy me, parking at work isn't an issue due to having a private car park, just the every day use I'd feel it deserves a better home, I can't get the kids n dog in the back, don't particularly want the dog in it full stop. A RR would fit our requirements better BUT that's not a definite either, when it sits there it's a waste, when I use it I love it, head says one thing, heart n life is saying something else 😔

@Womble72 Might I suggest you get yourself a smaller dog 😂IMG_2701.thumb.JPG.40d2c8d879071eebc7e535df50b12ac4.JPG

• Like 1

Owned a sting of German cars and over a 15 yr period the bills got progressively worse culminating in my last 2 Audi's which required repairs totalling £10.5k over a 2 yr period. Both cars were low mileage fully historied approved used with one previous owner and I look after my cars. 1st car had a design fault (tension slider - engine out) 2nd car had manufacturing fault requiring new gearbox.

So as I'm sure you can appreciate I was happy to move away from the German manufacturers who are all to busy trying to out do & out sell each other at the expense of quality.

li had owned a Supra Turbo in the 90's which I hdd for 6 yrs & then passed on to my brother in law who kept it for a further 6 yrs. it didn't require anything other than standard servicing for either of us. So I was quite exited when I read the Evo write up on the ISF because there was finally an alternative that took on the M3/RS4/C63.

its proved to be everything I hoped it would be without any the compromises of the German cars.  

• Like 4

@DAW Touché on the the German marques similar experiences, Supra Turbo ooh respect back then I lusted after one of those, there was a couple of brothers in Stapleton Bristol who had a White one and a Dark Red one they just looked so right to my eye...... ah well 😏

Big Rat

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links