Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights Xenon or Halogens

Ken.K

Hey guys and apologies for asking this question but am confused as hell on bulbs I need. I want to upgrade my lights to 6000k as I find my current set up below par to my focus in terms of brightness. I have am se-l with AFS which from what I have read means I have Hid. But then again no headlight washers so am not sure. Can someone advise if I will need a hid conversion kit or just a straight swap. Also I am guessing 6000k leds headlight bulb does not mean it is Hid.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Usually no washers means halogens. When you start the car in the dark do the lights move up and down before settling at the correct position?

Cannot say I have noticed this as I rarely drive at night. I do no have AFS though and I know this cos I have the AFS light blinking and the sensor. which I read should mean Xenons. Or am I wrong.

That is a bit of mystery.... if you have AFS it should be HID, but HID would have washers.

Maybe you can take out the bulb, which would give a concrete answer?

On 3/31/2017 at 0:48 PM, Linas.P said:

Without taking them out, there are other clues e.g. does you headlamps auto adjust when you turn them on? Then HID - halogens should have manual adjustment. If you have SE-L then HIDs were standard.

Finally, you can take the bulbs out - which is definitive answer:

Halogen bulb:

481770226.jpg

HID bulb:

d2s_2_zpsce325864.jpg

Finally, if you have HID, I doubt LED would be brighter than HID, because based on the experience of other forum members depending on LEDs they might be even dimmer than Halogens. Personally, I didn't even knew LED bulbs with DxS socket existed until now (apparently they do exist).

What I would advise, before "upgrading" to LEDs try better quality HIDs and if they won't improve anything just return them to amazon as non-satisfactory.

• Like 1

I just called Lexus and they confirm I have hids but I have no headlight washer which is interesting. Just to confirm though how does a Lexus healdigbt washer look like. Cos I have a panel on the front of the drivers side but this looks more like a tow point

Xenon = HIDs. Maybe frontal damage in the past and non-original bumper? I personally hate those washers, they are so useless... 

That makes sense as it is Cat D. But why would it pass MOT with no washers though. Which makes me think they have Halogens now.

It is fine for MOT as is HID kits, in MOT they don't check "Construction and Use" requirements, but the car is otherwise technically not road legal for the same reason.

Realistically, I doubt insurer would notice that as you need to be an absolute expert on this particular model to know whenever it has HIDs or not. Inspector would just assume it has Halogens, hence no washers. Theoretically, you can be denied payout as your car is technically illegal.

Now I just wondering - are you sure that headlights fitted to your car are indeed HIDs? If let's assume it was frontal damage and whoever fixed it put bumper from non-SEL/non-HID... maybe they as well put non-HID headlights from the same breaker? I am just speculating, but considering that you say they illuminate very poorly maybe that is as well the case?

That said I am sure you need to take the bulbs out to be 100% sure before ordering.

It is fine for MOT as is HID kits, in MOT they don't check "Construction and Use" requirements, but the car is otherwise technically not road legal for the same reason.

Realistically, I doubt insurer would notice that as you need to be an absolute expert on this particular model to know whenever it has HIDs or not. Inspector would just assume it has Halogens, hence no washers. Theoretically, you can be denied payout as your car is technically illegal.

Now I just wondering - are you sure that headlights fitted to your car are indeed HIDs? If let's assume it was frontal damage and whoever fixed it put bumper from non-SEL/non-HID... maybe they as well put non-HID headlights from the same breaker? I am just speculating, but considering that you say they illuminate very poorly maybe that is as well the case?

That said I am sure you need to take the bulbs out to be 100% sure before ordering.

Funny you mention this as I was just thinking the exact samething. I will definitely have to take out the bulbs and see what is what. Which would further explain the AFS blinking light and also why the headlights do not move up and down during start up.

• Like 1

Ok... so in fact you don't have AFS working if the light is blinking :D That explains something... What an investigation...

Definitely an investigation needs to be carried out. I suspect it as you say. The installed an se bumper and headlights to pass the tests. Damn going to cost me a some quid to bring it up to standard.just another question if it is Halogens then I can just install a HID kit right?

Yes..  that is true, BUT HID kit is not equal factory HID, and that won't fix AFS.

What I would advise is to go to the good garage and ask them to make sure your headlight are aligned correctly first, the last thing you want is to increase power on headlights which blind other drivers due to bad adjustment. Then you can go for good LED bulbs or HID conversion kit (illegal one) or complete HID retrofit (effectively retrofitting what came on your car as standard.. what a mess).

Whatever you do... please post before and after, because this is becoming FAQ.... :smile:

• Like 1

Yes..  that is true, BUT HID kit is not equal factory HID, and that won't fix AFS.

What I would advise is to go to the good garage and ask them to make sure your headlight are aligned correctly first, the last thing you want is to increase power on headlights which blind other drivers due to bad adjustment. Then you can go for good LED bulbs or HID conversion kit (illegal one) or complete HID retrofit (effectively retrofitting what came on your car as standard.. what a mess).

Whatever you do... please post before and after, because this is becoming FAQ.... [emoji2]

Well I reckon it is aligned properly as it just passed MOT with no issues. But yeah I will have a look at this again. To retrofit I will need a new bumper with washer jets. Cost of respray plus the Xenon lights

To properly retrofit yes. But washers are useless anyway. I believe it would be enough just to retrofit the head light units, which would vastly improve illumination and would fix AFS.. but even those are like ~£700. Obviously, you might still find out you have HIDs... after all :rolleyes:

To properly retrofit yes. But washers are useless anyway. I believe it would be enough just to retrofit the head light units, which would vastly improve illumination and would fix AFS.. but even those are like ~£700. Obviously, you might still find out you have HIDs... after all :rolleyes:

Okay so step one: take it into garage to check what i actually have.

Step 2: whatever is in there get them realigned if needs be.

Step 3: if Halogen get Hid conversion kit or just buy new headlights.

• Like 1

And post before and after here :D

Called Lexus new Xenon headlights which is what my car should is 900 quid. So if I was to do a complete retrofit am looking at close to 2k. Hahahahaha not spending 2k on a 3k car. Anyways Thursday will take it to garage and confirm what it is fingers crossed they are already HID

I think Linas could be on the money with the scenario he described earlier - car originally had HIDs but was repaired with bumper & lights from a lower-spec model.

If that is the case then just buy an aftermarket 6000k HID kit and pull the AFS fuse from the passenger footwell to get rid of the blinking warning light.

I think Linas could be on the money with the scenario he described earlier - car originally had HIDs but was repaired with bumper & lights from a lower-spec model.

If that is the case then just buy an aftermarket 6000k HID kit and pull the AFS fuse from the passenger footwell to get rid of the blinking warning light.

Oohh passenger do it well I thought it was on the passenger side engine compartment. I will look into that. Yeah I also think Linas is spot on. Checking on Thursday if it is halogens or hids.

Halogen lights will be 'instant on' whereas Xenon (HIDs) will initially come on fairly dim and take a couple of seconds to warm up to full brightness (irrespective of the little 'dance' that HIDs should do).

Halogen lights will be 'instant on' whereas xenon (HIDs) will initially come on fairly dim and take a couple of seconds to warm up to full brightness (irrespective of the little 'dance' that HIDs should do).

Hmm still have not noticed this fully. But am thinking Halogens now cos the light was the same. Also might be just the leveling as mentioned as well. Taking notes from all have been said

Anyone heard of nighteyes, they are like some sort of LED kit with no ballast http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-72W-9000LM-H11-H9-H8-LED-Headlight-Car-Conversion-Bulb-Beam-6500K-KIT-/391537203251?nav=SEARCH