Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights Xenon or Halogens

Ken.K

My first step would be to get some good quality halogen bulbs like Osram nightbreakers and see how you find them.  If you really are still struggling, then start looking at alternative options.  I don't think LED 'upgrade' kits for less than 25 quid are going to cut the mustard to be honest.

Let us know how you get on!

My first step would be to get some good quality halogen bulbs like Osram nightbreakers and see how you find them.  If you really are still struggling, then start looking at alternative options.  I don't think LED 'upgrade' kits for less than 25 quid are going to cut the mustard to be honest.

Let us know how you get on!

My next step is already booked. Going to install HID conversion kit. I also like the white looks and brightness and just cos

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wisty said:

Hehe, fair enough!  

just did some research, the osram nightbreakers you called are way cheaper than the hid kit. now am really confused. i hate good forums like this. too much good advice. can i use osram night breakers h11 for the dipped and then osram hb3 for the mains. or what combo is best. to get a nice look?

can use this for dipped and then this for main

So carried out more inspection of my car and yes I do have headlight washer button in the car. So it did come with hids. Hmm the plot thickens

Get the VIN decoded, surely that will tell what the car left the factory fitted with?

I tried but cannot find any site for this. Do you have one by chance

Register for access to the tech site

http://www.lexus-tech.eu/default.aspx

Alot of free info and some you pay for but vehicle spec is free.

Once you're in click on the Repair menu and at the bottom of the free info list is Vehicle Specifications. Enter your VIN and the system generates a spec sheet listing all the options and standard equipment fitted to the car. Hopefully this is working on earlier models, it shows everything on my 2016 RC

• Like 1

Register for access to the tech site

http://www.lexus-tech.eu/default.aspx

Alot of free info and some you pay for but vehicle spec is free.

Once you're in click on the Repair menu and at the bottom of the free info list is Vehicle Specifications. Enter your VIN and the system generates a spec sheet listing all the options and standard equipment fitted to the car. Hopefully this is working on earlier models, it shows everything on my 2016 RC

No specifications shown but it does show I have 2 recalls to be done. The fuel pressure sensor and passenger airbag.

So, it shows nothing under the Specifications tab but identifies the car has two recalls under the Campaign tab?

Yep

Signed-up out of curiosity and my details were available. Albeit the headlamp specs are incorrect.

Headlamp cleaner With
Headlamp levelling       With (manual)
Headlamps Hid+afs with auto leveling

My car doesn't have AFS and it's news to me if there's a manual adjustment... The rest of the info looks good though. Cheers for the link. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Signed-up out of curiosity and my details were available. Albeit the headlamp specs are incorrect.

My car doesn't have AFS and it's news to me if there's a manual adjustment... The rest of the info looks good though. Cheers for the link. :thumbsup:

There are two adjustment ratchets on each headlight unit.

One is for up and down 

The other is for side to side

• Like 2

Somewhere ...... on one of my PC's is a description of how to locate and adjust your headlights ..

If you want a copy I'll dig it out and put it up for you.

I found it very useful when I checked mine. They were set too low and are now much much better. You just need a good flat surface to park the car on and a perpendicular/flat surface to project the beams against at either 10' or 25' away. Did mine in the factory one evening in the winter. If its dark enough you can use a wall or similar outside too.

If you want to do this you will find it much easier with a cordless drill and a 150mm Pozidrive extension piece. Use a nice gentle slow speed and you can visibly see the beam moving up/down or left/right. Don't try it by hand as it will take so many turns to see movement ... your wrist will tire before you've achieved anything.

The adjuster for up and down is easy to see with the side cover removed. But the left/right adjuster is somewhat hidden down an angled tube ...sounds odd but once you've found it it's easy.. There is a good youtube video showing the adjusters ...again, I have a link somewhere.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:46 PM, NemesisUK said:

Get the VIN decoded, surely that will tell what the car left the factory fitted with?

The car is SE-L... No SE-L ever left the factory with Halogens as HIDs were standard. It is clear car was downgraded after frontal damage, by using SE front bumper and halogen Headlights., washer button as well confirms that - headlight washers was once there.

• Like 1

Yep oh well I can live with that although would have been nice to have 😩😩 just my luck though. Good thing they have conversion kits and even high halogen bulbs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

The car is SE-L... No SE-L ever left the factory with Halogens as HIDs were standard. It is clear car was downgraded after frontal damage, by using SE front bumper and halogen Headlights., washer button as well confirms that - headlight washers was once there.

Don't tell me, tell the OP dk.gif

It is not actually that rare to have downgrades after damage and that is not only on IS250 or Lexus. HID unit costs £900 (x2), whereas halogen ones are like £250-300, while bumper may be same costs, considering you will need to source washers, tubing etc... will cost extra + it is just extra time and effort fiting everything, and these repairs are usually done on budget because Cat-D will cut the resale value. So complete repair kit from SE is like £600, while for SE-L is like £2000. I remember it was very common on BMW M-Sport - the original had "angel-eyes" and all damaged ones had fake LED rings, because one original headlamp was like £1600, while for SE model or Chinese ones were like £120.

Don't tell me, tell the OP dk.gif

I knew already as Linas had already said earlier that is was probably a downgrade and as am doing investigations it is definitely downgraded. Cannot complain though for what I paid and the luxury am getting the lights are a minor issue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I realized i did not come back to these, after some financial issues am going to be getting some osram nightbreakers and sidelights to see how they get on, done some night driving now and the yellow lights are okay but can be better definitely

• Like 1