Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had a rattle from under the car a few days ago and couldn't find the cause, anyway parked side on to the wind the other day and while stood next to it I heard the rattle. On looking under I noticed that the heat shield over the front exhaust box was loose. Has anyone replaced this item or can it be removed without hurting the car. I also noticed that the isn't one over the rear box.

Heat shields can usually be secured back in position with a large penny washer under the offending bolts.

I'd keep the heat shield in place if you can.

• Like 1

I don't think I've had a car where one of the heat shields has not rotted.

As mentioned above, I've made large square washers out of sheet metal and sealed them with flue sealant I use on my wood burning stove. This I believe stops further rotting of the shield.

Does a lovely job.

• Like 1

Plusgas, or whatever your favourite releasing fluid is.

I find if you plan these jobs you will have time to spray the nuts and bolts for several days and they sometimes release.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my local garage to fix it. I thought they would just put some large washers above the nuts to hold the shield in place, but they actually drilled some small holes and used plastic cable ties to secure the loose shield. Only charged me a fiver so I couldn't complain, and everything is still in place a year later.

Cable ties....my son in laws Vectra estate was held together with them.

Who ever worked on it was a ham fisted tw@ who broke every fastener on the car and replaced them with plastic tie wraps.

Cowboys.

There are stainless steel cable ties available in various sizes.

I have not used them for this application but should be better than the more familiar plastic version.