Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey Chaps,

I was looking under the bonnet of my car the other day while cleaning the EGR valve and noticed a sticker on the rocker cover, at the front.

So I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it means?

20170419_122351.thumb.jpg.e408b203ac15dcf1aebce82692ab5cd3.jpg

The most obvious thing that stands out is the 03/12 below the bar code.

Thanks.

I take it the 3/12 date predates your ownership?

A quick google suggests 2AD I6D are the codes for the engine & gearbox type.

Maybe your engine was repaired or replaced under warranty in 2012.

• Like 1

Yep, I have had the car since 2015.

That is what I am wondering also; does this sticker mean the engine was replaced in 2012?  Do other IS's have similar stickers in the same place?

Shahpor...how often do you clean your EGR.  I've had my IS220D since new 2007...only ever went into crawl home mode once!!  After that I found out about the EGR and clean it every 15000 klms (9300 miles)...never had an issue since and my frequency is about right as it always needs the cleaning I give it...2mm coating throughout.  I use carb cleaner and a toothbrush.  Any tips...if I was giving a tip it is two-fold look after the gasket and make sure it goes on the same way and two..only remove one of the fastenings on the metal tube as there is just enough room to rotate it and remove the valve.  In the past I removed the tube and had an almighty struggle getting it back on as the fastening at the bottom is buried deep.

• Like 1

Hey Paul,

I tend to clean it once every 10k or so.  It is pretty clogged by then, so a good amount of carbon is scrapped off.

Yep, already only undo the top bolt from the head and swing the pipe out of the way rather than removing it.  Makes life much easier.  Although, annoyingly, I managed to drop one of the nuts from the top of the EGR valve this time and couldn't find it.  I have now replaced the flange bolts with new ones, although they are now 13mm instead of 12mm.

I admit I have never noticed which way round the gaskets go.  I just make sure they are intact and put back properly when I do it.

One thing that I did this time that I haven't done before was separate the motor from the valve.  I then pressed the valve out with my finger and cleaned the edge, along with the seat.  Not sure how much difference it makes, but it wasn't hard to undo the 3 allen bolts to do it.

The only thing that annoys me about doing the job is that I can't get inside the inlet manifold to clean it.  The little I can see looks flithy and gunked up, so I am sure I am losing some efficiency because the manifold is dirty, but there is no easy way to clean it.  I was tempted to try a tube cleaning brush, but I am worried about it breaking or losing bristles while down there.

• Like 2

I concur...I too wonder about the gunk in the manifold but err on the side of caution believing it's not worth poking a hornets nest with a stick...LOL

I never have dismantled the valve ...just played it safe and give it a good scrub with carb cleaner and the old toothbrush...so far so good.  Thanks for getting back.

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:43 AM, VrmmVrmm said:

I concur...I too wonder about the gunk in the manifold but err on the side of caution believing it's not worth poking a hornets nest with a stick...LOL

I never have dismantled the valve ...just played it safe and give it a good scrub with carb cleaner and the old toothbrush...so far so good.  Thanks for getting back.

Totally agree with Shahpor. I think it is definitely worth separating the solenoid end from port end when the EGR is removed. You can get a much better clean around the valve plates and seats which means you'll get a better seal. It is pretty easy to do. The two parts separate very easily.

Also, I wondered about the state of the inlet manifold. So I took it apart. Big job. Lots of carbon removed. I put a guide together so you can see photos there. There was a slight improvement in mpg but the biggest gain was in acceleration from low revs. 

• Like 3

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 0:55 AM, Shahpor said:

already only undo the top bolt from the head and swing the pipe out of the way rather than removing it.  Makes life much easier.

This is great advice!!! Saves lots of time. 

• Like 1

161 is the kanban number for the engine assembly. Its for the production instruction system for unit plant assembly. 

The date stamp is the time and date of when the cylinder block was first launched through short block assembly.

AD is the engine family. 2 AD being the 2nd variant introduced. (In this case 2231cc)

• Like 2

That is very interesting, thanks Stephen.

So, by that reckoning, the engine was built sometime in March 2012.  I wonder how long before it was fitted to my car.

I am assuming it was replaced due to head gasket failure, although I have no paperwork to support this theory.  I am popping into the dealer on Friday, so I suppose I could ask them if there is any record.

If it was a replacement short block or partial engine, it wouldn't have been sat around for too long before it was put into your car. Only when the engine has finished production at the plant would we hold a large supply of service parts.

Because the AD was still in production, the request for a service part block / engine would have come from the dealer and then the part would have been built and shipped usually within a couple days. We don't hold any stock when the engine is in production.

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, tayaste said:

I work for Toyota, have done for nearly 20 years. I look after the new engine projects in manufacturing for the UK. :thumbsup:

That sounds rather interesting.  Care to share any more details about these engine projects? :wink3::smile:

Well, this is strange.

I was at the dealer on Friday, and they have no record of any engine work being done to my car.

It would have only been 4 years old at the time, and if it had suffered head gasket failure, it would have been covered by the extended 'goodwill' warranty Lexus provided.

So now I am wondering what happened?  Sourced 2nd hand engine and fitted privately?  Seems unlikely.  Different rocket cover?  Also unlikely.

The reason this is strange is that I am only the 2 owner, and the previous one had everything done at the dealer, with all the documentation kept.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links