Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Detailing Paint Correction GS 450H

Farqui

Since acquiring my GS earlier this year one issue I've been wanting to tackle is the paintwork. The paint looked a bit tired and generally needed a lift, there were some scratches on the doors/etc that I hoped could be...removed/reduced. The bonnet has it's fair share of stone chips. I wasn't looking for perfection but thought it should be spruced up to look more respectable.

Earlier this week, the car spent 2 days at CustomCreationsUK (Notts area) where Chris/Andy got stuck in to an overall paint correction.

The job turned into a bit of mare for poor Chris as most panels had seen some previous touch ups, blow overs or previous corrections.  But he kept at it and I was amazed when I picked up the car. The paint is now devoid of all swirls, you now have to search for the scratches and it's so, so shiny.

58f9dae8bf220_20170419_165356(Large).thumb.jpg.a6fb2df8cbf62e30f014e883be8ea759.jpg

58f9db6f03702_20170419_165410(Large).thumb.jpg.8ea34d20a684ae36eb1673d27b266a54.jpg

18033241_801930639956431_3357070316171999787_n.jpg.f0c5b39a2141e729e260a792c98a1ec6.jpg

Overnight the weather obliged to allow a compulsory beading shot :yes:

58f9db56d937a_20170420_120224(Large).thumb.jpg.87a6b2d5b43d981f433acc2171bc3802.jpg

You'll find further info and a few more pic's on the CCUK FB album; https://m.facebook.com/pg/ccuk.detailing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=801931233289705

Here's an extract of the work completed; This luxury Lexus came to us to have the paintwork looked at. After many of the body panels had been touched up or resprayed, it was starting to look a little tired. - Snow foam & wash - Full decontamination followed by claying - Wheel cleaned & decontaminated - Scholl S17 & S30 used to cut & refine the paintwork - KKD Purity X sealant applied - Definitive Wax Synthetic Edition applied - Definitive Wax QD Pro used to finish off - Exhaust tips polished.

Their prices are very competitive, their work and customer focus is great.

I'm well chuffed and would definitely recommend them.

What do you think?

• Like 4

Looks good, some of these detailers do a fantastic job, never tried them myself but I have seen the results of others that have had work done.

Gotta love a shiny car!!!

• Like 1

Nice reflections. :thumbsup:

Would love to get my car professionally corrected but would need to get my bonnet and front bumper seen to first as they are covered in stone chips at the moment. 

• Like 1

Thanks, it was the first time I've let anyone else detail my car but I wanted it done right and they went beyond my DIY snow foam, 2 bucket wash applying sealant and wax by hand.  I don't have a DA either or access to the kit they have to hand either.

Did you go for a protection layer as well?

Edit: checked the facebook page - so full detail + protection and wax then, wonder how long it will last?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Did you go for a protection layer as well?

Edit: checked the facebook page - so full detail + protection and wax then, wonder how long it will last?

Good question, I've updated the OP with the products used.

It's got sealant and wax protection, they used one of their longer lasting waxes which should be good for 3 months or so.  The Definitive 'show' wax apparently looks 'wetter' but doesn't last as long.  As it's a daily driver I went for a decent coating.  

I did briefly ask about a ceramic layer but almost fell over when they mentioned the cost.  Ceramic coatings do look impressive and last years tho, check out the vid's on YouTube/etc.

24 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Great job but the main question is - how much does a job like that cost?

I didn't put a price as every job is different.  

This is a big car and needed a lot of work but even then, their prices were very competitive. 

2 minutes ago, Farqui said:

I didn't put a price as every job is different.  

This is a big car and needed a lot of work but even then, their prices were very competitive. 

My RX300 is a big car and needs a lot of work but at least give us a clue - are we talking a couple of hundred? £500? More? Less?

Just now, sorcerer said:

My RX300 is a big car and needs a lot of work but at least give us a clue - are we talking a couple of hundred? £500? More? Less?

I'll drop you a PM

Very nice and shiny. My RX300 was the same colour but it was soft as butter and staring at it would leave scratches so i'm not surprised it was a lot of work

The KKD purity X looks interesting - let us know on its durability - it states about 6 months after doing some research.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Very nice and shiny. My RX300 was the same colour but it was soft as butter and staring at it would leave scratches so i'm not surprised it was a lot of work

The KKD purity X looks interesting - let us know on its durability - it states about 6 months after doing some research.

Ah now that's interesting, I'd only checked details of the wax (top layer). Thanks.

Product; https://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/products/purity-x-polymer-concentrate

Review; http://www.detailingnation.com/showthread.php?8519-Review-Krystal-Kleen-Detail-PURITY-X

Yeah Germanic paint seems to be some of the most durable, the wife's VW is looking well for it's age.  Our old Honda had really soft paint, softer than the Lexus.

Had a previous Jaguar XF detailed at Detox in Tamworth. It was a great job and the car looked gorgeous and water just beaded off and subsequent cleaning was so easy. Will be getting my NX done later this year. I had the one day new car detail service and it cost a very reasonable £220. I'm not suggesting this isn't a lot of money, just saying the results were worth it. My 3 year old XF looked as good as when it first came off the production line. I'll post up the link at some point. My NX is a darkish metallic blue and it will suffer from swirls but it's ok atm having been machine polished at dealership before collection. I've also become an anal jet wash, snow foam, two buckets with an expensive wash mitt followed by clean well maintained microfibre drying towels. Does make a difference but I'm hoping the neighbours don't think I'm an arse....

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 5:32 PM, paulrnx said:
Forgot to say ....

Your GS looks great Farqui!!

Thanks Paul, it's good to get some feedback on others experiences.

I was a little skeptical initially but since having it done I'm very pleased with the results.

Unfortunately mine has been sat for most of the week and is now covered in dust [emoji19]

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, paulrnx said:

Had a previous Jaguar XF detailed at Detox in Tamworth. It was a great job and the car looked gorgeous and water just beaded off and subsequent cleaning was so easy. Will be getting my NX done later this year. I had the one day new car detail service and it cost a very reasonable £220. I'm not suggesting this isn't a lot of money, just saying the results were worth it. My 3 year old XF looked as good as when it first came off the production line. I'll post up the link at some point. My NX is a darkish metallic blue and it will suffer from swirls but it's ok atm having been machine polished at dealership before collection. I've also become an anal jet wash, snow foam, two buckets with an expensive wash mitt followed by clean well maintained microfibre drying towels. Does make a difference but I'm hoping the neighbours don't think I'm an arse....

AutoDetox, not Detox. Sorry.

http://www.autodetox.co.uk/recentwork/

Mine was the silver XFs about half way down. Top job and my NX will be going there at some point this year

Over the weekend I gave the car it's first wash since being detailed and by gawd it'd was easy.

I don't think it's just down the protection they used either, I'm guessing the paint correction helps make the paint more slippery.

:thumbup1:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J Henderson said:
Yep. Easier to dry too. Most of the rinse water just rolls off and leaves a few droplets behind. 👍

True, I hosed down after washing/disconnecting the lance which saw most of the water then sheet off :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Looks fantastic mate, I've never paid someone to detail any of my cars having most of the equipment and products to hand but I imagine it look even better done by proper detailers. May be worth investing in some aqua wax, zero extra effort you just dry your car and buff dry but helps keep the car waxed I really really like the stuff

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farqui said:

Neither had I until this time.

Thanks, I'll look into Aqua Wax. There are so many great products out there these days.

Thre's many different types - I prefer the autosmart version rather than Autoglym because its cheaper!

I believe autosmart have just brought out a new product called cobalt+ nano spray sealant which is getting a lot of hype at the minute - spray onto a wet car and dry off and leaves a month of protection behind but its the beading that everyones raving about.

• Like 1