Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

castrol red rubber grease

Quick question - looking to rebuild brakes and use Castrol red rubber grease on caliper sliding pins/piston rubber boot and copper grease on contact points between brake pad between contact points. Is this correct? Also should I be putting any grease on the back of brake pads? Cant see why that would be done.

I do exactly the same with mine and never had a seized pin yet, the RRB is better if the sliders have the rubber bushes as it does not damage them and I find copper grease in there dries out quickly.

I do also thinly smear the pad backs and anti rattle shims with copper grease although mine shims are stainless steel.

• Like 2

Did mine on all four corners last month, the small rubber bushes on the front calliper pins would not go back in the holes, so I left them off :eek:

Bought two new sets of pins and bushes ready for doing Monday.

Had no issue with the bushes omitted.

• Like 2

I have left my bushes off the pins before works ok bought two new bushes from Lexus main dealer about a month ago cannot believe that you can still get these parts from main dealer very impressive 

Do not use copper grease! As mentioned earlier it will dry out. You gonna need some synthetic high temp grease.

Toyota disc brake shim grease ....synthetic high temp grease (colourless and very sticky): 08887-80609 ....................best stuff ever but very expensive (40gr for about 40€)

Alternative: ATE Plastilube (-45°C to +180°C) is not enough for front brake !!!

PERMATEX 24125 Ceramic Extreme' brake parts lubricant (100% synthetic -46°C to +1649°C)
                  Liqui Moly Brake Grease .....................................................(semi-synthetic..-40 to +1400°C)
                  or GRANVILLE Ceramic Brake Grease ..............................................(-40°C to +1200°C)

• Like 1