Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hit a small deer type animal

Last night hit a small stocky animal which looked like a deer, about 3ft high, size of a medium dog at 70 mph. Front bumper broken in a few places and grill snapped in a couple of places, damaged to fog light but main lights ok. Car drove perfectly until I stopped and a warning about the parking  sensors and something about sonar, get checked by Lexus on the screen.

I'll report it to my insurance in the morning, but is it worth call the Lexus helpline as sometimes they can help with loan cars etc. Ideally I'd want it in a Lexus to do the repair, has anyone insisted on this? 

I've only had the car a few weeks and this happens, ah well, I'm ok that's the important thing. Earlier in the evening I witnessed a hit and run at a roundabout and got the reg number for the lady, was thinking lucky parts of her car didn't hit mine then this happens. 

• Like 1

sorry to hear of your deer incident ....  many years ago at night, a sodding great big one jumped over a hedge, hit the door of my car, jumped over the car, jumped over the next hedge and was away ! .......  big dent in the door of my then car to be repaired ............  well shaken. but not stirred

Malc

• Like 2

I wouldn't report it to insurance unless you're going to use insurance to pay the costs. 

If you're using insurance, tell them and say you want Lexus to do the job. They'll charge you your excess + non approved repairer excess and give you a number.

Then take the car to your Lexus dealer. They'll send pics to their bodyshop who'll write up a quote and send it to insurance through the system using the number insurance gave you.

Insurer will prob approve and then you drop it off to Lexus or they'll collect it. Ask th dealer for a loaner car and have that added to quote of repair as well

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Last night hit a small stocky animal which looked like a deer, about 3ft high, size of a medium dog at 70 mph. Front bumper broken in a few places and grill snapped in a couple of places, damaged to fog light but main lights ok. Car drove perfectly until I stopped and a warning about the parking  sensors and something about sonar, get checked by Lexus on the screen.

I'll report it to my insurance in the morning, but is it worth call the Lexus helpline as sometimes they can help with loan cars etc. Ideally I'd want it in a Lexus to do the repair, has anyone insisted on this? 

I've only had the car a few weeks and this happens, ah well, I'm ok that's the important thing. Earlier in the evening I witnessed a hit and run at a roundabout and got the reg number for the lady, was thinking lucky parts of her car didn't hit mine then this happens. 

Oh dear ( no pun intended ).

We have lots of dear where we live. They eat the plants and are a pain on/near the roads.

I have one of these on my car. Does it work? Who knows. Does no harm though ...

Best wishes for a speedy fix.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, matt8 said:

Very interesting @PCM

Where have you fitted it? Discreet? 

It's fitted at the front, on the bumper, but under the bonnet lip.

You can't see it at all... discreet.

Piers.

• Like 1

It was a Muntjac deer, stocky looking thing, fairly common around Bedfordshire.

I've reported to my insurance company and thy are happy for me to take it anywhere. I was fairly sure my access was £250 but they seemed to have added another £200 due to the type of car, I'll look into that later. Just waiting for local Lexus dealer to call so they can take a look.

At first it just looked like a front bumper replacement and grille, but the fog light and parking sensors are pushed back, not sure what other damaged might have been done. Fairly sure I couldn't get a decent job done anywhere for the £450 excess. I'll try to get a loan from them, part from the parking sensor warning it seems perfectly drivable. 

Thanks PMC, I'll look into that device for my two cars, bit late now for current car but living in a semi rural location with NSL roads makes it a good purchase for such a low cost. 

Critters can cause lots of damage, i hope yours isn't to extensive tho.

That's gizmo looks interesting, never seen anything like that before. Would you have to be careful where lots of deer roam e.g. Woburn as it may spook them into a chaotic stampede.

And how is the deer? Dead or alive?

I read somewhere that in some countries if you kill an animal its yours, So in the trunk it goes and some fresh meat for the barby at night?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

I've reported to my insurance company and thy are happy for me to take it anywhere. I was fairly sure my access was £250 but they seemed to have added another £200 due to the type of car, I'll look into that later. Just waiting for local Lexus dealer to call so they can take a look.

At first it just looked like a front bumper replacement and grille, but the fog light and parking sensors are pushed back, not sure what other damaged might have been done. Fairly sure I couldn't get a decent job done anywhere for the £450 excess. I'll try to get a loan from them, part from the parking sensor warning it seems perfectly drivable. 

Thanks PMC, I'll look into that device for my two cars, bit late now for current car but living in a semi rural location with NSL roads makes it a good purchase for such a low cost. 

Excess will have increased as you're using a non insurance approved repairer most likely. It will be around £200.

Fog light and parking sensors won't be replaced unless broken. They'll just be put in the right place 

Expect a quote of around £1.5-2k to go to the insurance company 

£3.5 to £5k they say, just been down.Rad and air con unit also damaged. It's actually £450 excess on my insurance cert, they increased it from my previous Astra. 

No idea what happened to the deer, been back to road this morning and no sign of it. Couldn't have survived at the speed I hit it. 

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

And how is the deer? Dead or alive?

I read somewhere that in some countries if you kill an animal its yours, So in the trunk it goes and some fresh meat for the barby at night?

I believe the person who hits the animal can't legally keep it in this country but the one behind can stop and pick it up if they so wish. It's to stop people deliberately running animals down.

47 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

£3.5 to £5k they say, just been down.Rad and air con unit also damaged. It's actually £450 excess on my insurance cert, they increased it from my previous Astra. 

No idea what happened to the deer, been back to road this morning and no sign of it. Couldn't have survived at the speed I hit it. 

Ah right ok - sounds much worse than it looked like on the surface.

Mine was £2.3k - needed bumper and right fender replacing. 

On 4/22/2017 at 0:54 PM, dutchie01 said:

I believe this to be the case in some East European countries but its eating would require the approval of a local health authority.  Also, most

game needs to be hung for a while in order to make it palatable, so the barby would have to wait ... :yucky:

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, PCM said:

Oh dear ( no pun intended ).

We have lots of dear where we live. They eat the plants and are a pain on/near the roads.

I have one of these on my car. Does it work? Who knows. Does no harm though ...

Best wishes for a speedy fix.

Had to check the date of your post... thought it was an April's fool! - I had never heard of these and will be ordering some too. A Muntjac ran into the side of my car only last week... thankkfully, because of the combination of low speed, size of the animal and angle at which it hit the car, there was not damage to my car or to the deer.

Leaving close the the New Forest, I am assuming that these could also be very handy in scaring poneys and cattle off roads at night...

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 11:02 AM, Casa1862 said:

Sorry to hear this. Exact same thing happened to me last September in my previous IS200t. Ironically I was on my way to a bodyshop that morning to get some scratches sorted out on the front bumper but didn't make it because of the hit. I needed a replacement fog lamp, headlight, front bumper, fog lamp surround, front grill assembly, a parking sensor and painting as required. A total of £1650 + VAT. I was doing 60 along a straight country road with my wife following in her car and all I remember was a brown flash in the undergrowth/hedge beside me, then the impact and the deer being catapaulted into the hedgerow on the opposite side of the road. No chance of braking at all, it happened in a split second. I braked afterwards and found a safe place to stop. Damage looked awful and, like you, I'd only had the car a few weeks. So unlucky. Then I thought about it rationally and realised that people have been injured or worse killed in accidents like this so I considered myself lucky. Repairs were carried out to a very high standard and all turned out ok. Remember that it's not just the excess, you'll lose some no claims too and this will hit you every year until you get back to where you were before the claim. Protected no claims is a bit of a scam too because you have to stay with your insurance company to benefit and they will hike the premium next time around even though they'll confirm your no claims discount is protected. Go somewhere else and you have to declare the claim and the new insurance company will assess cover on the basis of a previous claim. Hope it works out ok for you Casa

On 4/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, rayaans said:

Excess will have increased as you're using a non insurance approved repairer most likely. It will be around £200.

Fog light and parking sensors won't be replaced unless broken. They'll just be put in the right place 

Expect a quote of around £1.5-2k to go to the insurance company 

Spot on. Same deer hit with me cost my insurance company £1650 + VAT

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 1:20 PM, Casa1862 said:

Ouch. Luckily no damage to anything inside the engine bay on mine. I looked for the deer after my hit and couldn't find it anywhere. I think it probably managed to run away for a short distance before settling down somewhere. It nearly hit an oncoming car and I'm so glad that car didn't swerve to miss it. Glad you're ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Sorry to hear this. Exact same thing happened to me last September in my previous IS200t. Ironically I was on my way to a bodyshop that morning to get some scratches sorted out on the front bumper but didn't make it because of the hit. I needed a replacement fog lamp, headlight, front bumper, fog lamp surround, front grill assembly, a parking sensor and painting as required. A total of £1650 + VAT. I was doing 60 along a straight country road with my wife following in her car and all I remember was a brown flash in the undergrowth/hedge beside me, then the impact and the deer being catapaulted into the hedgerow on the opposite side of the road. No chance of braking at all, it happened in a split second. I braked afterwards and found a safe place to stop. Damage looked awful and, like you, I'd only had the car a few weeks. So unlucky. Then I thought about it rationally and realised that people have been injured or worse killed in accidents like this so I considered myself lucky. Repairs were carried out to a very high standard and all turned out ok. Remember that it's not just the excess, you'll lose some no claims too and this will hit you every year until you get back to where you were before the claim. Protected no claims is a bit of a scam too because you have to stay with your insurance company to benefit and they will hike the premium next time around even though they'll confirm your no claims discount is protected. Go somewhere else and you have to declare the claim and the new insurance company will assess cover on the basis of a previous claim. Hope it works out ok for you Casa

Ive not had an issue with protected no claims

My wife has 13 years on her car and it was protected. Highway (part of LV group) put it up to 14 years upon renewal even though we made a claim of £2300 for her incident with the IS. 

We also changed insurance companies a month later (to admiral) who actually gave us a cheaper price than we were paying already by £100 or so even though the claim had been declared. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Thanks Paul, in my case it was just standing there in the middle of the lane, made no attempt to move, don't think they are the sharpest animal! Came round the bend and in front of me, tried braking but too late. 

Having done some reading, around Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire quite a few Muntjac and they seem to be breeding at a rate. I can remember seeing a couple this year alone. 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

My wife has 13 years on her car and it was protected. Highway (part of LV group) put it up to 14 years upon renewal even though we made a claim of £2300 for her incident with the IS. 

We also changed insurance companies a month later (to admiral) who actually gave us a cheaper price than we were paying already by £100 or so even though the claim had been declared. 

Both me and my wife have 10 plus years protected NCB but think the insurance will rise this year. It was my wife's car i was driving and her insurance is with LV (we are named drivers on each others policy), I can see BOTH of our insurance going up come renewal after this incident if the questions on the renewals goes as follows (I've had the accident and she's had the claim):

Come her renewal:

Main driver any claims or accidents in last 5 years - Yes

Named driver any claims or accidents in last 5 years - Yes

Come my renewal:

I just need to make clear it's one incident and they don't think it's two, I'm not sure if it would have made a difference if my wife had hit the deer.The answers would be:

Come her renewal :

Named driver any claims or accidents in last 5 years - No

Come my renewal:

Main driver any claims or accidents in last 5 years - No

Two less yes, but still an incident on each so i'd expect a hike. It would seem even if you are a named driver, all policies were both parties are included face some penalty. 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I've worked in the insurance industry and know what they get up to. Always best to shop around at every single renewal and never a good idea to pay for protected no claims because they are only protected if you stay with that company at renewal time. If you do stay with a company at renewal time you'll miss the discounts other companies will offer to get your business. If you stay with the same company you'll also have your premium loaded (because you've made a claim) and you'll have no way of knowing whether it has been loaded or not because you don't get a breakdown, only a figure to pay. You'll still enjoy the no claims discount you had but the price for insurance, before the no claims discount is applied, will be higher because you've made a claim and you will be considered a higher risk as a result of this. This is how it works

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I've worked in the insurance industry and know what they get up to. Always best to shop around at every single renewal and never a good idea to pay for protected no claims because they are only protected if you stay with that company at renewal time. If you do stay with a company at renewal time you'll miss the discounts other companies will offer to get your business. If you stay with the same company you'll also have your premium loaded (because you've made a claim) and you'll have no way of knowing whether it has been loaded or not because you don't get a breakdown, only a figure to pay. You'll still enjoy the no claims discount you had but the price for insurance, before the no claims discount is applied, will be higher because you've made a claim and you will be considered a higher risk as a result of this. This is how it works

Im not sure thats entirely how it works.

Ive changed pretty much every year with protected NCD and the NCD has never gone down. I always just choose the cheapest insurer (all a bunch of scumbags anyway)

And for some reason, every time Ive made a claim, my insurance price has actually gone down! Makes me want to make more claims! I seem to be immune to insurance price rises - they've only gone up for me when buying a new car!

NCD protection insulates a person from losing NCD as a result of a claim or a number of claims, it doesn't insulate a person from incurring a higher insurance premium, before the NCD is applied. Even with protected NCD a renewal premium would be higher after a recent at fault claim than if no claim had been made. Same level of NCD but a higher premium before the NCD is applied because, having made an at fault claim, the systems used to generate the premium will assign a higher risk category because of the claim and the premium will be higher as a result of this. Because we can't do a comparative quote with the same company with no claim we have no way of knowing exactly what this difference is. If I was being really cynical I might argue that the increased premium would outweigh the amount I'd lose as a result of a loss of NCD. I've also paid extra to protect my NCD. Insurance companies also routinely increase premiums if renewing for a 2nd year because research shows them that there are still many many people out there who stay with the same company because it is less hassle and/or effort to change or they forget and cover renews automatically. Most insurance companies also offer cheaper insurance to new business because this is the way they grow their business and they hope that we will stay with them for years to come. It is always better to shop around every single year as you do Rayaans and in my opinion NCD protection isn't worth it either.