Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this door mirror housing alright?

Some numpty in a white van hit my door mirror today and didn't stop. When I caught up with him his reasoning was that we were both passing a line of parked cars on our respective sides of the road; his mirror was damaged and so was mine, so if insurance got involved it would be 'knock for knock'; and if no insurance involvement I would be paying for his and he would be paying for mine.

The footage from my dash cam does indeed seem to support this and shows no clear fault on his part or mine - the gap was narrow and we both tried to get through, so 'just one of those things'.

Given that, I'm inclined to just leave it be. Luckily, there's no discernable damage to my mirror outer casing and both the folding motor and the glass up/down/left/right motor appear to be working as they should. The only damage is to the glass itself. The impact drove the glass out with explosive force and only the electrical connections stopped it from attaining low earth orbit! It smashed against the window and some sort of fluid (photochromic solution for the auto dimming?) was splashed on the window and bodywork.

My question to the group is this - I've never seen the inside of the mirror housing and I have no idea what's in there or what it should look like, so does the housing and mounting look as it should or can someone tell if anything has been broken off?

I've never particularly liked the auto dimming feature of the door mirrors anyway so I'm not bothered about getting the 'correct' replacement glass. As long as the mounting looks undamaged to anyone who knows about such things, I'm thinking that this replacement glass from Ebay will happily do the job? Or does anyone know otherwise?

mirror1a.jpg

mirror2a.jpg

I've got two of these sat in my front room they are basically rubbish and do not fit.If your car is the se-l and has the auto dimming  you  need to find Summit srg 1087  for the left and 1086 for the right  these are standard stick on but you will need to build up the adhesive with more double sided tape 

Yep the mounting plate is fine and by the looks of it, the eBay glass should fit (it has all the right things in the description). Whether it actually fits is a whole different story.

This car is up on eBay for spares: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-RX300-RX-300-ENGINE-GEARBOX-REAR-FRONT-WING-DOOR-MIRROR-BREAKING-PARTS-/292082774421?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item44017d7195:g:ac8AAOSw2xRYcM6h

Might be worth asking how much just the glass would be.