Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealer registering car

My car is now arrived in the UK, dealer now have registered the car but it won't be ready for collection for another week or so.

Is this normal for dealer to do this?

the dealer will complete a pre delivery inspection of the car before they hand it over to you

so by saying a week they are giving themselves enough time to fit your car in to their schedule

So this is a common practice I take it then, also been told by the dealer they can tax the car 7 days early so you still get the full 12 months tax, is this true?

2 hours ago, AlanS said:

So this is a common practice I take it then, also been told by the dealer they can tax the car 7 days early so you still get the full 12 months tax, is this true?

As long as the car is registered and showing on the DVLA system, then yes, they can tax it whenever they want. Bear in mind it takes about 3-4 days for DVLA database to update for newly registered cars so if they register the car now, they can tax it on the 1st of May so you'll get a full 12 months

Thanks Rayaan for clarifying this, looks like I'll get stung by the additional 'premium' tax as the IS200t F Sport premier now lists at £39,945 plus £610 for the metallic paint.

Where as back in January when the order was placed it retailed at £38,995 plus paint. 

Edit

Just had another browse, The list price is the price of the car before any on the road charges, vehicle registration fee etc so I might be safe as the above prices does include everything. Anyone can confirm?

10 hours ago, AlanS said:

Thanks Rayaan for clarifying this, looks like I'll get stung by the additional 'premium' tax as the IS200t F Sport premier now lists at £39,945 plus £610 for the metallic paint.

Where as back in January when the order was placed it retailed at £38,995 plus paint. 

Edit

Just had another browse, The list price is the price of the car before any on the road charges, vehicle registration fee etc so I might be safe as the above prices does include everything. Anyone can confirm?

I think you will be fine

The reason I say this is because I believe they have to use the invoice price - you ordered it in January and you paid £38995 + £610. If you paid less than £40k before discounts, how can they charge an extra £300 each year? doesnt make sense

However, the list price is £555 short of the OTR price! Therefore, if they were using current price - itd be exactly £40k! 

That's what I'm trying to find out now, the dealers knows as much as I do. Nobody seems to have a dedicatedly answer to this, let's hope the £40k is based on the cost of car and options not the OTR price.

From the Gov website

"New vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

If a vehicle has a list price (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000, the rate of tax is based on CO2 for the first year.

After the first year, the rate depends on the type of vehicle (petrol, diesel, alternative fuel or zero emissions) and an additional rate of £310 a year for the next 5 years.

After those 5 years, the vehicle will then be taxed at one of the standard rates (£140, £130, or £0, depending on vehicle type)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Think it should be OK then as the "list" price is exactly £40k, not more, not less!

So if it's £40k or below and its fine, from £40,001 onward then it'll be in the extra tax band?

Been in touch with Lexus UK to confirm the list price and they have sent me this, car cost exactly £40k with paint.

https://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgben/333400_Lexus_Pricelist_IS_lr_tcm-3066-939151.pdf?_ga=1.85260761.1598382765.1480955456

Sounds reassuring, even if they're using the current price I should be ok. The price increase makes my deal looked even more better.

Lets hope the car will turn up at the dealer soon!

As this is my first brand new purchase, just wondering at what stage of the buying process you guys pay the remaining balance?

And do you pay the dealer a visit beforehand to give the car a check over before doing so?

32 minutes ago, AlanS said:

As this is my first brand new purchase, just wondering at what stage of the buying process you guys pay the remaining balance?

At hand-over.

32 minutes ago, AlanS said:

And do you pay the dealer a visit beforehand to give the car a check over before doing so?

I did but couldn't really check much as the car was still wrapped in protection film and of course the dealership hadn't done their PDI. I and I expect everyone does, had unlimited time to look over the car at the hand-over. The car was fully prep'd, covered and in it's own showroom. There was the big reveal and I could inspect the car in complete privacy prior to being shown all the gadgets and gizmos..  :yahoo:

Dealer wanted the funds 24hr prior to collection through bank transfer to ensure its cleared before hand over, will definitely pop down as soon as the car turns up at the dealer to check It over before handing them my hard earned.

Mind you they still don't have a clue when it'll be ready despite finance had been sorted on Monday!

15 hours ago, AlanS said:

Dealer wanted the funds 24hr prior to collection through bank transfer to ensure its cleared before hand over, will definitely pop down as soon as the car turns up at the dealer to check It over before handing them my hard earned.

Mind you they still don't have a clue when it'll be ready despite finance had been sorted on Monday!

Yep I think that's the usual way its done. They need to check clearance of funds before you drive it off the lot. I usually pay a week before collection just to be on the safe side

I always pull the car out of the showroom and check the car in the car park before properly driving off!

Just to back that up, it's obvious I'm getting my new car (delivery mid/late July) at the March price (it's just over £40k no matter what way you spin it).

It's on a lease (which includes road fund).

Received the V5 log boook through the post today, but still no promised delivery date. Dealer saying the ETA to the centre is today, but still no phone calls, not happpy at all!!

1 hour ago, AlanS said:

Received the V5 log boook through the post today, but still no promised delivery date. Dealer saying the ETA to the centre is today, but still no phone calls, not happpy at all!!

That seems very strange. I think I would be visiting them now. Good luck hopefully its just typicaly bad UK service.

Just had a call from the dealer, car just arrived with them and will be ready for tommorow. 

Stuck in work now so will pop in first thing  tomorrow to give the car a good check over before handing over the balance, probably collect on Monday.

• Like 1

I had this, recieved my v5 then dealer told me car delivery day was delayed and they couldnt tell me where the car was in the system. In the mean time my lexus pack arrived stating my breakdown cover was from the date of registration. After a 2 week delay it was all sorted and the bdown cover reissued to start on collection day. Not that youd need it but its the principle when you spend x amount of pounds that the paperwork is correct. Enjoy your new car :smile:

10 minutes ago, floggit said:

I had this, recieved my v5 then dealer told me car delivery day was delayed and they couldnt tell me where the car was in the system. In the mean time my lexus pack arrived stating my breakdown cover was from the date of registration. After a 2 week delay it was all sorted and the bdown cover reissued to start on collection day. Not that youd need it but its the principle when you spend x amount of pounds that the paperwork is correct. Enjoy your new car :smile:

Thanks, will be paying them a visiting 8:30am tomorrow to see the car and hopefully collect on Monday as they have no accountant in on weekend.

Even tho it's the wife's new car, I think I'll help her to run it in for the first 1000 miles or so.......lol

• Like 2