Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200H Advance - Tyre replacement? Road noise

paulyuk6

Hi folks

Although I love my CT200H, the amount of road noise it picks up, especially on motorways, drives me nuts!  You can hear every change of road surface throughout every journey.   I assume that a lot of the noise is coming from the low profile tyres.

I had a look at the tyres on my car and they are marked as: Yokohama 215/45 R17 87W

Can anyone recommend alternative tyres that are more resistant to road noise?
Thanks in advance!

Paul

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3 or Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2. 

Make sure you check the noise dB ratings as they have different versions but the ones you want are the 67dB ones. 

Don't worry about the load rating, they have higher load and speed ratings at 91Y

Yes the OEM tyres are quite noisy. Michelin Cross Climate aren't rated a quiet as the suggestions above but if you want an all season rather than summer I can recommend them. Had a thread with more detail here: 

i used the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT tyres on on my CT make sure its the RT version and not just the Sportmaxx tyre

as rayaans has said its the 67dB version that you want ,i can't understand why Lexus fits noisy tyres to an

otherwise quiet car its the same story on my IS ,i've fitted the michelin cross climates on the IS and its so much

quieter than the yoko's fitted at the factory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 200h said:

,i can't understand why Lexus fits noisy tyres to an

otherwise quiet car its the same story on my IS ,i've fitted the michelin cross climates on the IS and its so much

quieter than the yoko's fitted at the factory.

Just had a look on Google maps. Yokohama have a car tyre factory 200km alongside the road from the Lexus plant. Probably their cheapest source of tyres :wink3:

I've got dunlop sport maxx fitted on my f-sport and do hear a lot of road noise but as there's still plenty of tread I just live with it.

My previous is220d also with the same tyres had the same problem. However I did have 4 uniroyal rainsport fitted before an mot and these tyres made an amazing difference. Almost no road noise whatsoever afterwards. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind suggestions. I shall definitely look into these.  I just had to do a return journey from Cambridge to Guildford and the noise on the M11 and M25 was really annoying. I had to turn the radio up almost to maximum to drown it out !

Paul

If you look at"mytyres" web site they offer you the option of searching for tyres under a number of categories, one of the categories is road noise. Road noise from the CT200 is comparatively high compared to engine noise. I think that it is more noticeable because everything else can be so quiet. People say that the engine is noisey.... compared to the engine not running at all, it is noisey, compared to another  non hybrid car , it isnt. 

• Like 1

I've just had to replace my fronts (one had a screw in and the other was near the limit) they were Goodyears and were terrible for noise and grip.

This time I've had 2 Kumhos fitted as I've had them in the past. What a transformation! So quiet and the grip is amazing. I highly recommend these as they are a great tyre and at a good price. Mine were £142 for the pair fitted with new valves etc. One Goodyear alone was £113.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links