Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 hours ago, ls400lpg said:

My steering motor for the in and out has gone dead.

I was wondering if I can use my MK 3 motor and use it on my Mk4.

Or is it different?

Many Thanks

not sure if the mk4 is same i do think its different but its a common fault worth a look and you can find the part on eBay usa

Mk 4 is different. They changed the design to an equally faulty mechanism. Usual story with Jap cars. 95% really well thought out with 5% leaving you scratching your head wondering why they couldn't get something right others had gotten right for years.

The main reason this mechanism fails is the use of nylon cogs and their weak structure when subjected to excessive torque.

Explaining the torque factor as follows;

The motors are designed to wind the appropriate weight of steering wheel and surrounding mechanisms either in or out or up and down, they were not designed for moving the weight of someone hanging on to the steering wheel which does occur if you grip the wheel on entering  or exiting the car whilst using the wheel as a support just as it is returning to its park position.

I noticed how the motors laboured on my Mark 1 if this technique prevailed so I don't do it and my steering column motors are fine.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

The main reason this mechanism fails is the use of nylon cogs and their weak structure when subjected to excessive torque.

Explaining the torque factor as follows;

The motors are designed to wind the appropriate weight of steering wheel and surrounding mechanisms either in or out or up and down, they were not designed for moving the weight of someone hanging on to the steering wheel which does occur if you grip the wheel on entering  or exiting the car whilst using the wheel as a support just as it is returning to its park position.

I noticed how the motors laboured on my Mark 1 if this technique prevailed so I don't do it and my steering column motors are fine.

Agree with above - the ls430 motors are even more troublesome than the 400 - I don't touch the steering when it's moving and both motors are fine so far

I Have the same issue on our Mk4.  If I "help" the column to move it will adjust.  Such a shame that something so simple should cause problems.

It would be great if there were a better quality drive gear available.  Anyone know a friendly engineer who could knock us up a few?

I have this fault on my up/down motor.

I'm surprised a little as this model is a W reg, having only done 75k miles.

There is no sound at all when operating the switch, and the wheel memory doesn't work either.

Could this be a ecu fault? Has anyone any experience with repair/replacement?

V reg with 70000 and the height motor has gone with the same symptoms you describe. Mileage is not determinative as a car could have done many short journeys. No plastic cog in the MkIVs just a weak motor. The reach motor is not much better. But, if that's the worst of the engineering in the LS400 then it's not too bad at all. Interestingly, steering motor failure on Soarers is not that common. The Soarer steering columns were built at the Miyoshi plant, and the Celsior/LS400 at the Miyochi plant. Guess the motors were subcontracted out, though.

I wonder how many of these mechanisms fail because the driver assists his exit from the car by pulling up on the wheel while it is moving. 

Even find myself doing it until I remember how small the motors are, so difficult to blame others who know nothing of the potential failure.

Lexus Hull replaced the telescopic motor before I bought my LS430 with 82,000 miles.