Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anybody Bought A Serpantine Belt.......?

Looking at the layout it would seem the belt is not going on the 400 but it is also showing a 300 which to my knowledge does not have a V8 engine, to be honest the label is a tad confusing.

If you Google T298 it will show a link to the Gates belt check site .Put in your model and the compatible 2228 number comes up. so this confirms you have the correct belt.

You may be forgiven for your confusion not helped by Simon and Michael referring to it as a cambelt

20 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Looking at the layout it would seem the belt is not going on the 400 but it is also showing a 300 which to my knowledge does not have a V8 engine, to be honest the label is a tad confusing.

If you Google T298 it will show a link to the Gates belt check site .Put in your model and the compatible 2228 number comes up. so this confirms you have the correct belt.

You may be forgiven for your confusion not helped by Simon and Michael referring to it as a cambelt

Not sure what is confusing about the term cambelt, to describe a belt that, on the diagram, clearly drives the cams.

If that diagram refers to an LS400 serpentine or auxillary belt, then you should be pointing your finger at Gates, for any confusion.

Also, see attached screenshot, where Gates refer to said belt as camshaft, and list the correct, different belt above it.

2017-04-30.png

10 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

Not sure what is confusing about the term cambelt, to describe a belt that, on the diagram, clearly drives the cams.

Everything is confusing to anyone like me who has never seen either an 1995 LS400 cambelt or a 1995 Serpantine belt........I assume (a guess at best) that a 1995 LS 400 serpantine belt is what I used to call 'fan belt'

PS, Just only just seen the screenshot above.........

2 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Everything is confusing to anyone like me who has never seen either an 1995 LS400 cambelt or a 1995 Serpantine belt........I assume (a guess at best) that a 1995 LS 400 serpantine belt is what I used to call 'fan belt'

You assume correctly, although it actually drives the alternator and power steering pump on your car, the fans being driven electrically.

3 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

You assume correctly, although it actually drives the alternator and power steering pump on your car, the fans being driven electrically.

Plus the AC compressor, my cooling fan is slightly different in that it is driven hydraulically.

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

That's it Denis, I've always called them "fan belts" as well.

Link is for the correct fan belt for the LS400.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Gates-Drive-Belt-Fan-Alternator-Rib-Belt-6PK2228-/311694926081?hash=item4892772101:g:t6oAAOSwFqJWti3z

Oh dear, I think it going to be 'one of those days again'......................thats to a chevrolet.................I must have a 'Lexus LS400 Chevrolet', bet no one else has one like mine....

26 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Same belt Denis, the size fits quite a few makes and models.

Good, thats what I got yesterday, see scan. 

I also got a spare Gates cambelt & thats what caused me some confusion (mixed with squashed up posting time), its the wrong year, as seen in earlier scans on the other post, I'll get that sorted out with eBay

Fan Belt.jpg

2 hours ago, mikeyv said:

If that diagram refers to an LS400 serpentine or auxillary belt, then you should be pointing your finger at Gates, for any confusion.

Also, see attached screenshot, where Gates refer to said belt as camshaft, and list the correct, different belt above it.

2017-04-30.png

Michael

There are two drivebelts on the LS400 engine and there as been enough discussion on them over the last decade or so on this forum.

You and me and a host of others are very familiar with what they do and where they do it but Denis is a novice and is looking for advice, he as already shown us the information he as received as confused him because he does'nt know what a cambelt does but he thinks he knows what a serpentine does .

I was simply pointing out that your description as a cambelt was confusing as it was incorrect .The serpentine belt does not drive or is driven by the cams it is driven by the crankshaft and drives the ancillaries on the engine.

The cambelt is also driven by the crankshaft and also drives the water pump as well as the camshafts.

I did not intend to be  critical of you and Simon I merely wanted to point out that when giving advice of a technical nature on the forum one needs to be accurate.

2 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Michael

There are two drivebelts on the LS400 engine and there as been enough discussion on them over the last decade or so on this forum

.You and me and a host of others are very familiar with what they do and where they do it but Denis is a novice and is looking for advice he as already shown us the information he as received as confused him because he does'nt know what a cambelt does but he thinks he knows what a serpentine does .

I was simply pointing out that your description as a cambelt was confusing as it was incorrect .The serpentine belt does not drive or is driven by the cams it is driven by the crankshaft and drives the ancillaries on the engine.

The cambelt is also driven by the crankshaft and also drives the water pump as well as the camshafts.

I did not intend to be  critical of you and Simon I merely wanted to point out that when giving advice of a technical nature on the forum one needs to be accurate.

Sorry Phil, I was entirely accurate.

He posted a diagram from the belt he had received, which was obviously of a cambelt, not a serpentine, hence my post "that looks like a cambelt to me".

I'm not making any more posts on this thread, I hope you see my point now, but I can't be any clearer, so will leave it there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Denis is a novice and is looking for advice,

I am completely illiterate on any mechanics to do with any LS 400, a lot of folks who use this forum are the same.

21 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

He posted a diagram from the belt he had received, which was obviously of a cambelt, not a serpentine, hence my post "that looks like a cambelt to me".

I'm not making any more posts on this thread, I hope you see my point now, but I can't be any clearer, so will leave it there.

Michael

Ok I can see your point but if you look at Gates chart the part no 6PK2228 which is the correct compatible reference it is shown in the area designated ALT which is short for alternator .

The lower section for cambelt does not show the reference 6PK2228 because that cambelt as another reference number that will require research.

I agree with you that the diagram showed a cambelt fitting.

Denis

The Photo of the cambelt you were sent Gates 6PK2228 is the correct belt for your car follow the fitting  instructions that have been offered on this thread and it should be ok.

3 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Yes it was a cambelt...picture and ref was the cambelt...

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 6:39 PM, Tinonline said:

drive belt is also term used for the ancillaries belt and that goes on the steering/alternator/et al

Look, all I have heard of is the 'Serpantine' belt & the 'cambelt'.....all I know about them is that I need to change them, that, as far as I am concerned, is all I need to know, I havent a clue what an ancillaries belt is as that is knew to me, makes me wonder if I should have ordered one along with the cambelt & serpantine belt.

I am not brand new to the LS400 or this forum, I was on this forum under 2 different names before a few years ago, I forgot  those names or maybe password so joined with this name, in that time period I have only ever heard of 'cambelt', I posted this post because I was confused about a couple of things, so Tinolnline, does I now need to get an ancillary belt along with the serpantine & cambelts I have bought? I dont remember those being mentioned much before.

Incidentaly, I would have first posted here around the time this vid was uploaded.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, mikeyv said:

Not sure what is confusing about the term cambelt

Because I don't know what it is other than a belt of some sort, mind you, I did know a Soho hooker who called herself camshaft mary but hers & my soho days are sort of long gone so I doubt its one of her 'aids'......

On 4/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, ambermarine said:

If you Google T298 it will show a link to the Gates belt check site

Yes it does, the label on the package makes no sense compared to that list which is 97-00, maybe Im not the dummy after all

On 4/30/2017 at 1:32 PM, ambermarine said:

The Photo of the cambelt you were sent Gates 6PK2228 is the correct belt for your ca

Finally I understand, the gates belt I got as an alternative to the cambelt kit so I can keep the belt from the kit as a spare.........I must be a 'tireing' guy...as those blasted school reports suggested

Denis, may I just ask. Do you intend doing all the replacement work yourself or are you going the sensible route and having a competent mechanic do the work ?

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Denis, may I just ask. Do you intend doing all the replacement work yourself or are you going the sensible route and having a competent mechanic do the work ?

Malc

Me? I've only just learned to change channels on a tv, I'd probably be looking in the boot to see where it all went:yahoo:

Its off to my mechi this AM to get the whole lot done, including brakes (rear lexus, front brembo), cambelt kit, & what Ive always known as 'the fan belt' & MOT,so I thought I might as well buy the 'fan belt' (alias, serpantine belt, alias ancillery belt, alias drive belt alias something else) & get it done along with the rest of the work, so its MOT day +

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links