Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any is250 owners suffer brake groan when say inching forward at the lights or at a junction?  Apparently it's quite normal for an automatic but I find mine to be quite loud.

Is this normal or could there be something more sinister going on?

Yep, both of mine have done this.  Consequence of a gearbox trying to creep forward and the brakes trying to prevent it.  Something's got to give :yes:

• Like 1

Same with my 250 and previous mercedes and bmw automatics I've owned. 

I did point this out to toyota several weeks ago when I took my vehicle in for a service. It's perfectly normal I was told due to the automatic creep. 

Obviously you don't get this on a manual as you will have your foot on the clutch.

8 hours ago, peachy said:

Any is250 owners suffer brake groan when say inching forward at the lights or at a junction?  Apparently it's quite normal for an automatic but I find mine to be quite loud.

Is this normal or could there be something more sinister going on?

Also depends on pads and discs. I always use the foot brake at traffic lights, and any long standing que of traffic.

My dealer said it was normal & offered no solution.:sad:

The pads imho get contaminated & glazed. I tried a few emergency stops but it didn't make any difference. 

In desperation I fitted a set of cheap Mintex pads to the rear and the grunt is pretty much gone.

I have a set of  more expensive Textar pads for the front. I am fairly certain Lexus OEM are made by Textar.

Ed:winkiss:

12 minutes ago, capese21 said:

My dealer said it was normal & offered no solution.:sad:

The pads imho get contaminated & glazed. I tried a few emergency stops but it didn't make any difference. 

In desperation I fitted a set of cheap Mintex pads to the rear and the grunt is pretty much gone.

I have a set of  more expensive Textar pads for the front. I am fairly certain Lexus OEM are made by Textar.

Ed:winkiss:

I noticed my front discs were glazed and mottled when I did my pins the other month.

Never noticed it on my other cars.

Even with the original lexus pads fitted I still got brake groan but about 5 weeks ago I fitted new front pads and discs. brembo discs and pagid pads. The brake groan is definitely louder with this set up. The pins got well greased so it's not that. I'm guessing it's the pagid pads.

Now don't get me wrong the brakes work absolutely fine but it would be nice to eliminate the groan.

8 minutes ago, peachy said:

Now don't get me wrong the brakes work absolutely fine but it would be nice to eliminate the groan.

Groan or grunt?  Grunt is slow snails pace as the pads release off the disc.   I will avoid brembo discs & Pagid pads as original discs with Mintex pads has largely solved it on my GS.  I have had loads of automatic cars & none had brake grunt!!   I cannot see why the Lexus suffers from it.

Ed:yes:

28 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Nothing to do with being automatic but all about being a hybrid?

My Lexus isn't a hybrid and the brakes groan. Only because I make them.

I think it's quite understandable as mentioned above. The car is trying to move forward and you're not fully on the brake. Friction causes heat and noise.

Mine is a hybrid and I can see why the brakes groan, simply because they get so little use and there is the inevitable transfer of pad material onto the disc, which never gets hot enough to burn off. Stopping from speed simply engages the regenerative braking force. So, unless one requires an emergency stop the pad and disc don't come into play until virtually at rest.

None of my other cars has ever had groaning brakes certainly not just crawling in traffic where there is so little friction and no heat but any pad transfer was burnt off on the next stop from speed. The AMG suffered the same as my hybrid but that's because the brakes were rated for such high speed and repeated stops that pootling around town never got them warm. A couple of mega-stops sorted it out though :yahoo:

I think all these explanations are too technical. It's simple - if you apply very light pressure to the brakes when there's a bit of drive from the engine/transmission, the pads vibrate and cause the noise. If you apply more brake pressure, the noise stops because the pads no longer vibrate (and the car doesn't move). If you apply less pressure the noise will also stop, again because the pads don't vibrate - but you might move forward more than you want.

• Like 1

Switching back to original lexus pads won't stop the brake grunt but will probably make it less audibel. As I've already said my lexus does the same, 2 other auto vehicles I've owned did the same. My mom has a bmw 330i  that I often drive around and that also does the same.

I find if I apply light pressure to the brakes in stop start traffic etc etc it eliminates the grunt/groan or what ever you call it.

As our experiences seem to differ even on the same vehicle types, it may well have a lot to do with how each modulates the brakes.

It's certainly not something I'm going to bother trying to eradicate by swapping pads and discs ....

It does not bother me to be honest. I've been told by toyota it's only to be expected on an auto vehicle and when I'm driving around with my favourite tunes blasting out the levinson I do not hear it anyway.

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Slightly off topic but I only found out recently that Mark Levinson is part of the Harman (as in Harmon Kardon) group. Small world ...

Today I learn something new ☺

I've been busy this afternoon. Slapped some grease on the front and rear pins in the hope it would make a difference. 

Sadly it didn't 😔 but it's good maintenance anyway.

Might swap the pagid pads for the OEM or just live with it. As I said the brakes are absolutely fine.