Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Slightly off topic but I only found out recently that Mark Levinson is part of the Harman (as in Harmon Kardon) group. Small world ...

and Harman itself is now owned by Samsung.

I suspect Toyota and Lexus may well stop using JBL / ML in the next year or two.

• Like 1

I've ordered myself a set of original  lexus front brake pads from lexus Birmingham. They will be fitted next weekend and i will post back with the results 

Twice the price of the pagid pads I have now but hopefully they will reduce the brake grunt. 

1 minute ago, peachy said:

I've ordered myself a set of original  lexus front brake pads from lexus Birmingham. They will be fitted next weekend and i will post back with the results 

Should have bought Textar as they make the Lexus pads. Half the price!!  A cheapy set of Mintex  pretty much cured the grunt on my GS.  Let us know how you get on.     My thinking was the grunt was bad with the factory original pads so try a different make & so far been pleased with the Mintex ones. More likely just because they are new & not glazed.

(Same company TMD make the pads, quality / price order is  Mintex- Pagid -Textar)

Lots of the OEM Toyota / Lexus boxed pads have Textar stamped on them.

Ed:yes:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something today. I usually drive with ect on but had it switched off today and it totally eliminated any brake groan. 

I assume it's because the cars not trying to lunge forward as much as it does with ect on.

24 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I thought ECT simply changed the shift points higher? I don't see how this would affect the car's tendency to creep forward?

Maybe it's just me then. I actually prefer driving the car with ect power off. The gear shifts are smoother and the cars less jerky when slowing down.

It may be me again but the cars seems to accelerate slightly quicker too.

Did a quick bit of reading from the IS owner's handbook and from other forums and it would appear the ECT PWR button may also sharpen the throttle response, like Sport mode in my car. Still not sure how, once off the throttle it could affect how the car 'strains' against the brakes?

That's not to say your observations are questionable, just I'm not seeing the link. Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chip in.

5 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I noticed something today. I usually drive with ect on but had it switched off today and it totally eliminated any brake groan. 

I assume it's because the cars not trying to lunge forward as much as it does with ect on.

To be honest I've not drove the car with ect power off for many months but I'll try it tomorrow on my way to work. 

2 hours ago, peachy said:

To be honest I've not drove the car with ect power off for many months but I'll try it tomorrow on my way to work. 

Well mine is a lot quicker in power mode. Which is what its ment to do, also if in sports mode all the better.

I'm running the original lexus pads now on the front and it's virtually eliminated the brake groan. Those cheap pagid pads were great for stopping the car but to noisy for me.

Also been running ect off as Rebecca suggested. Very true the gear changes do seem smoother  and less jerky when slowing down.  Throttle response is dampened too and you have to push down more to get up to speed. When floored ect off is just as quick as ect on in my opinion .

Can't notice any difference at all in steering response at all with ect on or off.

17 hours ago, peachy said:

I'm running the original lexus pads now on the front and it's virtually eliminated the brake groan. Those cheap pagid pads were great for stopping the car but to noisy for me.

Also been running ect off as Rebecca suggested. Very true the gear changes do seem smoother  and less jerky when slowing down.  Throttle response is dampened too and you have to push down more to get up to speed. When floored ect off is just as quick as ect on in my opinion .

Can't notice any difference at all in steering response at all with ect on or off.

Strange my auto box is miles better in the power mode. More jerky in standard mode going up and down the gears. And saying the car is the same in both

modes mine defenetly is not and its not ment to be either. If it was there would not fit the button to change the settings.