Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Bumper Protector

Hi all.  Has anybody fitted a genuine Lexus bumper protector and if so how easy is it.  What products did you use to get the bumper clean ready for fixing the protector and how do you make sure it lines up?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yes that's it.  I bought the protector from Lexus Birmingham, excellent price just need to get it fitted.   Thanks for the pic love the colour of your car it really suits the RX, very luxurious!

11 hours ago, Glover said:

Yes that's it.  I bought the protector from Lexus Birmingham, excellent price just need to get it fitted.   Thanks for the pic love the colour of your car it really suits the RX, very luxurious!

Mine was also fitted before I collected the car.

I believe they are self adhesive and lining up is done with a good old fashioned tape measure and a car paint pen.

The best way to prepare the surface is wash and dry that area, then use a good measure of IPA to clean it.

When you fit it, just peel back a small amount of the paper covering the sticky pad, enough to be able to get it positioned properly and still be able to gently pull out the paper while keeping the protector in place.

Hi Steve, your RX450h is identical to mine. But, what's that silver strip between the fog lights. What does it do and is it an after-sales add-on like the bumper protector? I realise you might not know as it probably came already fitted to your car. It looks nice.

Thanks all.  Very useful.  As it's not raining I'll do it now.  I'll definitely follow the tip about just removing just a small section of the paper; I'm OCD about anything being slightly out!

Ken the shiny silver strip is the top of the underrun protector.  I've got them on mine too.  There are some previous posts on the forum about fitting them retrospectively although I think they are a bit pricey (they are at the front and rear)

I believe the front and rear underrun protectors were an optional "style kit" specified when ordering new.  They're not particularly strong if you were to hit anything and as Geoff says they're pricey to retro fit.

18 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

I believe the front and rear underrun protectors were an optional "style kit" specified when ordering new.  They're not particularly strong if you were to hit anything and as Geoff says they're pricey to retro fit.

Steve / Glover

Many thanks for the info. On balance, I think I might give the underrun protectors a miss. What you've not had you won't miss and they do look a bit more style than substance.

But the bumper protector is essential so I'll make enquiries about getting one of them next week. At the moment, I'm paranoid when things are lifted into or out of the boot, especially by other family members!!.

Regards

Fitted! 

The car was valeted after its service yesterday and I haven't driven it since so wiped over the top of the bumper with water, dried that off then over again with a 70% Isopropyl alcohol wipe and wiped that off with a microfibre cloth.

I then put a small piece of masking tape on the bumper just under the lock keep and another piece above where the x in Lexus ist in he middle of the protector marked the centre of the bumper and protector on the masking tape, lined them up removed a small piece of the paper from the adhesive tape (thanks for that great tip Colin), offered it up and checked that the lines marked up then removed the rest of the pape.  As long as you don't press down you can still play around with position until you're certain its right then just press down firmly and here is the result59050638a33de_WP_20170429_19_07_18_Pro1.thumb.jpg.cb8bf27dfbea6d3055b80d37a8dca3c5.jpg.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 4/29/2017 at 10:32 PM, Glover said:

Fitted! 

The car was valeted after its service yesterday and I haven't driven it since so wiped over the top of the bumper with water, dried that off then over again with a 70% Isopropyl alcohol wipe and wiped that off with a microfibre cloth.

I then put a small piece of masking tape on the bumper just under the lock keep and another piece above where the x in Lexus ist in he middle of the protector marked the centre of the bumper and protector on the masking tape, lined them up removed a small piece of the paper from the adhesive tape (thanks for that great tip Colin), offered it up and checked that the lines marked up then removed the rest of the pape.  As long as you don't press down you can still play around with position until you're certain its right then just press down firmly and here is the result59050638a33de_WP_20170429_19_07_18_Pro1.thumb.jpg.cb8bf27dfbea6d3055b80d37a8dca3c5.jpg.

Hi

Just seen your post, where did you get the protector from. 

It looks very good 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links