Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard new tyres rubbing?

Hi all , just had some new 2 new 225/40/19 tyres fitted and the drivers front side rubs when reversing ? I don't think is been lowered ? Any one else had this issue. 

Doesn't seem lowered... other than that, I can't make anything else out...

jack the car up, try turning the wheel and have a look? Although this may not reveal too much as the suspension won't be compressed...

@Matrixxxx If you and a mate in a seperate  vehicle can get to a large open space- empty super market car park perhaps.

And try a few parallel runs, he obviously is going to need a passenger to do the observing.

Worth a try 🤔

🐀

It's rubbing on the middle of the tyre on the front inside of the wheel arch liner (the second pic). If you google the problem is is quit common with Lexus's but usually lowerd ones, only reversing and on the drivers side. The wheel has a 2" gap to where it is touching, so either the wheel is moving or the whole suspension is dropping when reversing. 

• Like 1

If you have 2" movement in your suspension forward when reversing you need to check all your bushes and arms on that side. That's way too much movement. 

• Like 1

It's just been trough an mot so don't think there will be a suspension failure as it's part of the test. As I said it seems a common issue with Lexus's, could just be a warped wheel arch liner. 

As I already suggested above, loose arch liner but the question is why has it become loose/warped since new tyres fitted? Something the fitter did? Can't imagine what...

Second thought, do you have staggered wheel set up? Wider rims on the rear?

Still puzzling why it only does it when reversing

The thing is I bought the car with worn tyres , so it may just be a few mm that makes the difference. 

I will have a good look at it at the weekend. 

Tyres don't wear 2" ....

Also Lexus wouldn't sell a car with a tyre size that rubs (when reversing) when new. Is the tyres size as given in the handbook?

They are, but according to the pic above the wheels are fitted correctly.

Using a heat gun or hairdryer on the wheelarch liner, then pushing it inwards/upwards with a piece of wood or something and holding it there for a couple of minutes whilst it cools ought to solve this.

• Like 1

My wife's taken the car back to the garage, they couldn't replicate the noise , but they think it must be the liner, in the middle pic you can see one of the louvres broken and sticking out slightly , this may be catching in reverse, they also said the liner doesn't feel as secure as the other side, so I will check at the weekend. The heat gun sound the easy option just moving it back away from the wheel. 

• Like 1

Are you sure it's rubbing? or is it skipping?

as much as an MOT should check for suspension failure I'd measure up both sides of the car from the ground. Maybe one of your suspension arms is leaking causing it to be lower on one side? just a guess. 

I'm running 245/35 19 tires on the front (this equates to being 8mm lower compared to the OEM tires) and I'm running OEM suspensions and have never had them rub so it's either you're lowered or there's bushing/suspension failure in the mix. 

Er....my eyes aren't the best but looking closely at the second picture, is that not a loose arch liner?

It should be a very easy fix once the wheel is removed, it might be fixable just with the wheels on full lock. The plastic liners are usually held on with a few 10mm screw bolts and push fit retainers. It took me about 10 mins to remove them on the SC. It's difficult to understand why a competent garage would check it and not fix it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links