mista_khan

oil soaked spark plugs is200 help

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

my is200 se 1999 on lpg has had  oil on spark plugs with misfire on 2 and 4 cylinders for a while, was told its the rocker cover gasket seal so had that replaced last week but the misfire came back and today i changed the two coil packs on 2 and 4 but the spark plugs were still soaked so most likeley thats were the misfire is, what else needs replacing for the oil to stop leaking all over spark plugs?

 

thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

When you say you have oil on the spark plugs can you be more specific, and say if this is at the spark gap end, or on the top part of the insulators.

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Britprius said:

When you say you have oil on the spark plugs can you be more specific, and say if this is at the spark gap end, or on the top part of the insulators.

John.

hi john

the whole plug has oil around it. so from the top to the bottom gap end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

the whole plug has oil around it. so from the top to the bottom gap end

It doesn't make any sense mate. The oil is either on top of the spark plug, on the porcelain bit, from leaking in from the valve cover. This is what you want because it's an easy fix where you just have to replace some seals.

However if the oil is on the bottom half, your engine is toast. Bad piston rings, or a blown head gasket.

 

Check if the oil is on the top of bottom half to know which of the two.

Did you get the right seals replaced?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SPARK-PLUG-TUBE-SEAL-SETX6-LEXUS-IS200-IS250-GS300-RX300-RX400-/112445361069?hash=item1a2e440bad:g:5oAAAOSwN6JY9bDp

Does the motor consume a lot of oil?

Is the exhaust smoke blue?

Is there any signs of oil in your coolant?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with above, description is a tad confusing. Maybe post a pic of the spark plug and plug recess/hole. Obviously if there is a lot of oil from the top sitting int he plug well, as you unscrew the plug, oil will run down the rest of the plug. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ax53 said:

It doesn't make any sense mate. The oil is either on top of the spark plug, on the porcelain bit, from leaking in from the valve cover. This is what you want because it's an easy fix where you just have to replace some seals.

However if the oil is on the bottom half, your engine is toast. Bad piston rings, or a blown head gasket.

 

Check if the oil is on the top of bottom half to know which of the two.

Did you get the right seals replaced?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SPARK-PLUG-TUBE-SEAL-SETX6-LEXUS-IS200-IS250-GS300-RX300-RX400-/112445361069?hash=item1a2e440bad:g:5oAAAOSwN6JY9bDp

Does the motor consume a lot of oil?

Is the exhaust smoke blue?

Is there any signs of oil in your coolant?

Hey thanks for your reply, 

the car has been parked up on the drive for around a month now as im driving something else atm, but to answer your questions

1) all the spark plug is covered in oil from top to bottom (see pic although i must say its about 3 or 4 plugs out of the 6)

2) I didnt replace the seals you have put in link, i replaced rocker cover gasket which goes around the side of the head? does this mean i need to replace the seals which you have shown in link too?

3)I havent seen any nasty smoke coming out except when i changed the spark plugs and it smoked like hell for like 40 mins or so.

4)no sign of oil in coolant

5) The motor uses some more oil then usual, normally top up half a litre every 4 to 6 weeks.

 

hope this helps

IMG_5943.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's like what TigerFish pointed out, the oil pools up in the plug well and soaks the bottom only once you remove the spark plug. So you're in luck here.

The outer valve cover gasket doesn't help you at all in this case. You wanna replace the ones I linked which seals up between the valve cover and the plug wells. Good luck

 

Quote

I havent seen any nasty smoke coming out except when i changed the spark plugs and it smoked like hell for like 40 mins or so.

This makes sense, since the oil probably dribbled into the cylinder when the spark plugs were removed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ax53 said:

I think it's like what TigerFish pointed out, the oil pools up in the plug well and soaks the bottom only once you remove the spark plug. So you're in luck here.

The outer valve cover gasket doesn't help you at all in this case. You wanna replace the ones I linked which seals up between the valve cover and the plug wells. Good luck

 

This makes sense, since the oil probably dribbled into the cylinder when the spark plugs were removed.

yeay, so basically what your saying is oil is leaking from the top, and the link you put up thats what i need to add to the lexus to stop leaking?

also how hard or easy is it to it those seals, could i do it myself or is it a garage job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mista_khan said:

yeay, so basically what your saying is oil is leaking from the top, and the link you put up thats what i need to add to the lexus to stop leaking?

also how hard or easy is it to it those seals, could i do it myself or is it a garage job?

Yep that's it. Also it shouldn't be too hard to do it yourself. You have to pull the valve cover though so it might be a little bit intimidating if you have no mechanical experience. But all you need is an 8mm and a 10mm socket, and maybe a seal puller. If you attempt this job yourself, I would say the main things to worry about is make sure you don't get any debris like sand into the valve train, and make sure you don't scratch the surface where the seal is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ax53 said:

Yep that's it. Also it shouldn't be too hard to do it yourself. You have to pull the valve cover though so it might be a little bit intimidating if you have no mechanical experience. But all you need is an 8mm and a 10mm socket, and maybe a seal puller. If you attempt this job yourself, I would say the main things to worry about is make sure you don't get any debris like sand into the valve train, and make sure you don't scratch the surface where the seal is.

if there is a diy guide for this or a video i could follow it as i do have some mechanical experience, but without that i feel i might mess it up lol.

so this is the correct part, its in bulgaria so need to make sure this is the one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SPARK-PLUG-TUBE-SEAL-SETX6-LEXUS-IS200-IS250-GS300-RX300-RX400-/112445361069?hash=item1a2e440bad:g:5oAAAOSwN6JY9bDp

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, now I'm getting uncertain because the part number should be 11191A. Maybe you can check with your local toyota / lexus dealer? The ebay page says it should fit though but I cant guarantuee it.

About the job itself, I don't think there is a video specifically on the IS200 but basically what you do is

you remove the intake box held down with a few bolts
then you remove the engine harness which goes over the valve cover. It clips in all over the place but you can detach it quite easily.
remove the coil packs and all the breather hoses
undo all the 10mm bolts for the valve cover.
gently pry with a flat head screw driver. (the twist technique works best) and be careful with the valve cover gasket so you don't drop it on the ground
flip the whole thing upside down and pull the seals out from the inside using a seal puller.
press the new ones in and do everything in reverse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2017 at 9:37 PM, ax53 said:

Hmm, now I'm getting uncertain because the part number should be 11191A. Maybe you can check with your local toyota / lexus dealer? The ebay page says it should fit though but I cant guarantuee it.

About the job itself, I don't think there is a video specifically on the IS200 but basically what you do is

you remove the intake box held down with a few bolts
then you remove the engine harness which goes over the valve cover. It clips in all over the place but you can detach it quite easily.
remove the coil packs and all the breather hoses
undo all the 10mm bolts for the valve cover.
gently pry with a flat head screw driver. (the twist technique works best) and be careful with the valve cover gasket so you don't drop it on the ground
flip the whole thing upside down and pull the seals out from the inside using a seal puller.
press the new ones in and do everything in reverse.

thankyou for that buddy, i will give it a try but i have a feeling ill be giving it to the garage to do as im kind of nervous about taking the rocker apart lol

also ive emailed that seller and he sent me a snapshot of the oe toyota part numbers for these spark plug seals which is 11193-70010, ive searched that on ebay and loads more came up for lexus is200 so it should be the correct part for my lexus is200 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now