• Get Your Club Gear
      Get Your Club Gear
    • Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
      Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
    • Join Gold & Save!
      Join Gold & Save!
    • Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
      Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
    • 1000's of Lexus For Sale
      1000's of Lexus For Sale

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

2 posts in this topic

IS300 SPOTRSCROSS 2001, 75k fsh

Mystery water loss

Hello All.

I like many others have exsperienced water loss with no obviose leakage. For the the last couple of years it wenr from an occaisional top up to having to fill the rad every 70-100 miles. I thought it may be a pressure problem and changed the rad cap. Then a water test for head gasket, Phew. The car ran perfectly as all ways and Over a long period I studied the engine etc waiting for something to rear it`s ugly head but nothing and no sign of a leak

BRAIN WAVE....... I dismemberd 2 high lighter pens and decanted them into a gallon of water and put it in the car and in a dark place went over the engine etc. with a cheapo ultra violet light and voile......A small sweaty leake in the radiator.

The rad has a lower tank and was leaking and the point where the core meets this lower tank. This lower tank has a raise lip of sevral millimeters and the water was sitting in what ammouted to a trough and then on I presume was just evaporating through the heat and wind so there was no easily visable sign.

I got a standard rad from fleabay for about £150.00, by way of a foot note, it had  two fixturs to accept some piping that was not required on my model of  car. I fitted them anyway after crimping them shut and soldering the ends and the good woman fitted it two days later. This was three weeks ago and the problem is solved.

I thought I would share my exsperience because thats the kinda guy I am.

I think you will find the two pipes that you did not use was probably for a oil cooler for a auto box 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jjbisme
      Hello,
      My name is James and I have an is200, year 2000, sport.
      I noticed recently that my engine coolant levels were dropping quite quickly so I decided to replace the radiator (it was quite old and was pretty damaged when I took it out), this was about a month ago. I had probably driven about 7 miles today when I stopped the car for about 5 minutes, when I tried to start it, I could hear the engine turn over but it would go very slow and then cut out after about 2 seconds. Then I would get all the dash lights that I have attached (file name Dash lights). One of these lights is for low oil pressure which is concerning, can the low oil pressure light come on if the radiator coolant levels are low? They were very low, I actually had to pour 2 litres into the radiator itself to top it up.
      There is a new radiator in the car at the minute and it's still leaking. I can't find an issue with any of the hoses but there is a bit of pink residue around the water pump, does it look like I need a new water pump? (file name "water pump").
      My main issue was the car not starting and the low oil pressure light, is this something that could be caused by low coolant?
      Thanks!
      James

• By br1anstorm
      When replacing the a/c condenser recently (and that's a whole separate story....) on my 2002 IS300 Sportcross auto, I noticed what looked like a slight weeping leak from the radiator.  It's not impossible that the tubes/fins might have been damaged in the process of removing the old a/c condenser, as it's a tight squeeze. 
      So I have been looking into getting a replacement radiator, and I'm getting a bit confused by the astonishing range of specifications, brands, and prices. 
      Leaving aside the custom-welded high performance aftermarket rads (which aren't cheap), it seems there are various differences in what is available.
      1) auto v manual.  Radiators for auto transmission vehicles have to have a transmission oil cooler - which means a small separate cooler along the bottom of the rad, with two "extra" hose connections for the oil lines. Rads for manuals don't have this.  But... it seems that manual vehicles can use the rad for auto vehicles, and just leave the  oil cooler unconnected.  Obviously it's not possible to do it the other way round (you can't put a rad for manual-only into an auto vehicle).  Problem is, a lot of aftermarket suppliers don't make clear whether their product has the oil-cooler or not...
      2) tube size.  The Lexus OEM radiators apparently have 25 mm diameter cooling tubes, whereas almost all aftermarket ones have only 16 mm.  Some say that in most conditions this doesn't make much difference to cooling-performance.  Anyone care to comment?  The difference is that 25mm rads are only available as Lexus OEM and twice the cost of aftermarket alternatives, which are mostly 16mm or don't specify.
      3) IS300 vs IS200?  An older thread here asked the question whether their radiators were the same.  The answers were not clear:  one said the "fan cowling" was different (but this isn't part of the radiator....!).  Another said the Lexus parts list had the same number for both.  For the IS300 I have found 16400-46560 and 16400-46561, and also 16400-46720 and 46721.  Can anyone confirm definitely whether an IS300-auto radiator and an IS200-auto radiator are in fact the same? This matters because there are lots of listings on eBay and from parts-suppliers for IS200 rads (a much bigger market) and few of them indicate whether the item will fit an IS300 (which are much scarcer...).  If they are the same, I can browse for an IS200 one, as there are many more to choose from!
      4) Alternative suppliers and part nos.  The range of brands and prices is huge.  Does anyone have a reliable cross-reference list? I believe Lexus OEM radiators are made by Denso.  Cost around £245 from a dealer. I have seen aftermarket items from Nissens (Danish) p/n 646924, cost £130-ish;  Koyo (Japanese, sold by Euro Car Parts) p/n 203820450 - not clear whether this fits both IS200 and IS300 - cost around £100.  Other makers include TYC p/n 2356, Spectra CU2356 - and there are others.  Has anyone had experience - good or bad - of particular aftermarket brands? I don't want to get a replacement which doesn't last.... but £245 for an OEM item seems unreasonable.
    • By NZLexus
      My RX350 4WD has an annoying oil leak - Been to dealership for diagnosis, after replacing the VVTi oil line they have now determined it is the timing cover leaking - and requires engine removal.  Any guides on how to do this available?  Should the engine come out the top or be dropped under? Thanks
    • By SM LexusCT
      Hi 
      I have been informed by Lexus that my aircon radiator has a hole in it due to being hit by a stone which miraculaously made its way past the grill of my CT and pierced the radiator! Despite having paid for an extended warranty i am told that this is an "act of god" and not covered!
      I have also been quoted £830 to fix the radiator!
      I live near Uxbridge and work in Reading. Does anyone have any recommendations for Lexus approved mechanics who could fix/replace my aircon radiator close by either of these locations?
      Any help gratefully received!
      Cheers 
    • By Lexus-Rx300
      Hi,
      I have a lovely Rx300 04 reg which runs pretty smooth. definitely a keeper. lastely i noticed the heat guage playing up so got it checked. the coolant was nearly empty! The mech suggested that it has a hair line sort of crack on the radiator but its not noticeable hence i never saw it. I never noticed any water pooled under the car etc on the drive way. anyway, he poured in some sort of solvent which was to fill up any hair line cracks in the radiator and that it would work fine. It worked initially and i noticed no movement for 3 4 months. Sadly, it came back and i could see the heat guage moving. got it checked from another place and they said that although its a hairline crack somewhere but its a definite replacement of radiator as the coolant levels are constantly going down and car heating up a bit (not close to the red mark). 
      So now i am looking for radiator replacement. The mechanic quoted £180 inc VAT for the radiator unit and maybe another 100 to put it in. sounds reasonable? Lexus would be 600+ i think.
      but i can see Rx300 radiator for £123.15 on adrad website. advanced radiators. Just wanted to check if they are proper dealers and that i could get it from them maybe? and will it properly fit as it says on the website.
      http://www.adrad.co.uk/prices/prices.php?id=LE314&model=RX300&make=LEXUS
      Thanks.