Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Little ******* on M25

I have noticed these little yellow*  between Junctions J21-J29 (and probably elsewhere) on M25:

9459176-large.jpg

They might have been there before, but now they are bright yellow now (unlike grey ones in the picture) and therefore quite an eyesore, as well that means fines from these are now enforceable. To be specific these disgusting things are REDFLEXhadecs3.

I have not received one yet (and it is more than 2 weeks since my last travel). It seems traffic is still moving at normal 90mph, but I guess it is not worth risk anymore -  speed cameras are in plain sign. I have suspicion they only work when there are speed restrictions (below the national limit) because otherwise everyone on that root would have fine by now.

So be careful if travelling on M25 J21-J29 and I believe J5-J7.

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Not a problem if one observes the limits ...

The national speed limit was based on "80 percentile" rule back in 1965 - it was deemed that 80% of the drivers are doing 70MPH in free-flowing traffic on unrestricted road hence speed limit is set to match it. Emphasis was that it is a temporary limit and it is to be reviewed and updated later and not meant to be arbitrary (as it is today). Funny enough it has not much to do with stopping distance, that is often mentioned by national limit supporters as the reason to keep it at is. The only caveat the stopping distances are based on the test conducted in 1931.

Statistically, average speed on restricted, but free-flowing motorway in UK today is 82MPH. I am certain that if same rules would be used today "80 percentile" speed in free-flowing traffic on unrestricted road would be ~90MPH and there are no reasons whatsoever why it is unsafe to drive even faster (as proven in Germany).

Finally, I have no problem driving at (arbitrary) 70MPH, but lane discipline in UK is extremely poor, it is impossible to maintain constant speed at 70MPH in say 2-3 lane on M25, which means it is necessary to get into outside lane, which in turn means you either do 85-90 or you are in a way of other motorists. Obviously, I can be one of those idiots with attitude - "I am doing speed limit, so I will not change the lane" (seems quite popular attitude in UK). Obviously, they have not read highway code or specifically rule 264.

It might sound hilarious, but I am mostly speeding, because this way I can maintain constant speed and it is more fuel efficient than constantly cycling between 60MPH (even 50) to 70MPH. As well it is less tiring - you get to outside lane set autopilot and that is it... from time to time moving to 3rd lane to let some low flying masters to pass at 100+.

• Like 1

Smart Motorways are a joke anyway, the M25 more so

Stick a speed limit of 40 mph on and what happens? You cause congestion by getting all the guys going at 70-90mph at the tail end of the ones who just started slowing down to 40mph! Then everyone is going at a constant speed and they're all clogged together. 

• Like 2

I guess those yellow spots are in the lane that tells you not to use ( big RED X )  because there's a real problem along that lane somewhere.

So if some dopey bugger decides to go that lane and causes a smash-up with a broken down car then well, they deserve a sodding great fine

Malc

Hi Linas,

great argument you can use in court haha

It might sound hilarious, but I am mostly speeding, because this way I can maintain constant speed and it is more fuel efficient

The judge will propably agree and let you off the hook

8 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

great argument you can use in court haha

I haven't said it is a good argument - I stated real reason why I am doing so.If it would be good I would not call it hilarious, secondly, I won't need to tell judge anything as I never speed so much i.e. I am within limits of FPN +3 points.

10 hours ago, Malc said:

I guess those yellow spots are in the lane that tells you not to use ( big RED X )  because there's a real problem along that lane somewhere.

So if some dopey bugger decides to go that lane and causes a smash-up with a broken down car then well, they deserve a sodding great fine

Malc

From my experience, it is almost opposite - 9 times out of 10 you will find nothing there. Same applies to 40MPH aka "congestion in ahead", that 40MPH is the actual reason for congestion behind. 1 time out of 10 you will find car stopped on hard shoulder - that is about as bad as it gets. If there is an actual accident - they close all 4 lanes. 

Yep, they are used to enforce the variable speed limits of the 'smart' motorways, or so I have been told by a copper I know.

I have also seen them between J15 and J21 (The M4 and M1 junctions).

Sometimes they work well, for example, there are times when the traffic backs up on the M40 junction, so slowing down beforehand keeps the cars moving.

However, I have also seen them displaying 60 or 50mph signs for no obvious reason at all.

There's also one of these HADECS3 cameras (the only one in Scotland as far as I'm aware) on the southbound M90 "spur" that runs between the Forth Road Bridge and J1A of the M9.

hadecs3-camera-under-test-750x400.jpg

I was flashed by it around a month ago during a temporary speed restriction. A 50MPH limit was being displayed on the overhead gantry for no apparent reason (it was nearly 11pm and the road was quiet) so I ignored it since I was "only" doing 70, the normal speed limit. Seconds later I got the dreaded double-flash in the rear-view mirror, but thankfully nothing came of it. Perhaps it was just being tested as that sign was still present.

Anyway, lesson learnt - the cameras will enforce a lower temporary limit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links