Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC-F at COTA this weekend

gdh300

It's Round 4 of the IMSA Weathertech series this weekend with the Advance Auto Parts Sportscar Showdown at COTA in Austin, Texas. The two RC-Fs have qualified second and seventh in their GTD class of 17 cars (don't worry, the 'D' bit refers to Daytona, not Diesel).

I somehow missed the last race (The Bubba Burger Sportscar Grand Prix, I kid you not) at Long Beach. It's not the best of circuits but was notable for two big blockages, the second of which was unfortunately caused by the #15 Lexus at the last corner on the last lap. You can see the ambitious overtake here. I read something that appeared in my alerts that was posted on a BMW fan site that said:

When on the road I often say "if anything is going to screw up your day, it's going to be a Lexus". I say this regularly witnessing Lexuss driven poorly, or well under the speed limit. And it looks like things aren't different on the track, that was the stupidest crash

The irony!

Live coverage of the race will be streamed through imsa.tv, starting I think at 2300 1930 UK time.

Edited by gdh300
Start time amended

• 2 months later...

I've got a bit out of touch with the IMSA Weathertech Series, so I've missed at least three races what with one thing and another. But, in about an hour's time the streaming will start on imsa.tv for the race from Motorsport Park, Toronto. Schedule says 11:55 AM ET - 02:45 PM ET. Qualifying went well for Lexus with Sage Karam putting the #14 RC-F (shared with 'veteran' Scott Pruett) on pole, the first for Lexus in the GT Daytona (GTD) category.  I say went well, the #15 RC-F was unclassified in qualifying after a big impact; from what I've read the team are rebuilding it and hope to start the race, albeit from the other end of the grid. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's Lime Rock this weekend (21/22 July) in the IMSA Weathertech series, with 3GT Racing hoping for better than the spectacular snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory they had at Motorsport Park. Qualifying will be 05:05 PM ET - 05:55 PM ET this evening, and like the race will streamed on the IMSA TV website. 

Meanwhile at Motor Trend Channel, they are running a series of "behind the scenes" videos of the 3GT Racing's efforts in the series. The first two feature drivers Robert Alon and Sage Karam; presumably young Yorkshire lad Jack Hawksworth and Scott Pruett will feature soon then hopefully something more interesting, i.e. the cars and the team! 

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend (05/06 August) the IMSA Weathertech series is at Road America in Wisconsin. As usual, streaming will be at IMSA TV.Team news from 3GT Racing is at their Twitter feed here.

Motortrend meanwhile have a mid-season update video here.

• 3 weeks later...

IMSA Weathertech travels to Virginia this weekend for the Michelin GT Challenge. Qualifying was strong for the two RC-F GT3s finishing 5th and 6th. 

Live stream will be here: IMSA TV from 1330 local time 27/08/17 (1830 BST).

• 4 weeks later...

IMSA Weathertech is in Salinas, California this weekend for the penultimate race of 2017. The twisty Laguna Seca track will likely not play to the strengths of the RC-F, but qualifying. did produce an encouraging P5 and P8 after troubled free practice. If I have the times right, live streaming in IMSA.tv starts at 21.55 Sunday evening, UK time.