Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Navigation Flickering

Hi all, has any one seen this flickering before and better still has any one fixed this issue and know what it is?

It only happens when the display settings brightness is above about halfway and when there is a lot of white on the map. When the screen goes into the night colours it does not i it at all. So this would suggest not and issue with wiring?

Video attached shows the issue.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks like one of the sync signals from the driver hardware to the LCD is failing, causing the vertical position of the screen to move randomly. My gut reaction is that the connector from the main board in the nav unit to the LCD screen is mechanically failing. Either causing vibration based fails or electronic fails due to the signals in lines nearby the compromised signal line (rf or capacitance changes causing spurious h/vsync signals).

In all likelihood a competent repairer would be able to fix this or if you are confident with electronics, replacing the connector / ribbon cable may be an easy job - more likely you'd require a new screen.

It may even be simpler to just buy a known working nav unit 2nd hand and replace the whole thing.

That looks like one of the sync signals from the driver hardware to the LCD is failing, causing the vertical position of the screen to move randomly. My gut reaction is that the connector from the main board in the nav unit to the LCD screen is mechanically failing. Either causing vibration based fails or electronic fails due to the signals in lines nearby the compromised signal line (rf or capacitance changes causing spurious h/vsync signals).

In all likelihood a competent repairer would be able to fix this or if you are confident with electronics, replacing the connector / ribbon cable may be an easy job - more likely you'd require a new screen.

It may even be simpler to just buy a known working nav unit 2nd hand and replace the whole thing.

Thanks for the reply, when you say nav unit do you mean the DVD drive in the boot as that is where the nav is. The signal is sent to the front screen via a GVIF digital cable.

Thing is that it does not do it when the screen brightness is turned down or the screen is in night mode I.e. Darker colours. Also it only does it on the navigation and not on the reverse camera etc. If it was hardware to screen I would imagine it would happen in any picture mode? ...strange.

I was more referring to the in dash unit (the bit with the screen). If it's intermittent with mode though then i'm not sure. If it's only in nav mode then i'd look at the boot unit and the cable between as you say. it may even be something as simple as the cable has worked loose.

Personally I keep my dash screen on the energy monitor and use my phone for satnav but that's just me.

Thanks for the replies. It just seems a bit strange that it's only when the screen is brighter. I wend on a night journey 2 days ago and as the screen was in night mode it didn't flicker once. [emoji848]