Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

I brought a 450H 2011 premier which had done 100k and I had just taken into Lexus Coventry for routine service,  it had a full service history from lexus Bristol so was a good bet nothing

bad would go wrong. So I get a call from service department that I had a problem with my rocker cover as a couple of rivet have come away inside where the pour the engine in from.

so it was  not safe to turn the engine on, until they investigate where the rivets have gone.

This will cost me about 950 pounds to put right which isn't cheap and not happy. I have post the URL to show you what I mean any of you may want to check your own RX450h too to see if its a part malfunction or just my bad luck.

https://video.citnow.com/vp7sVTJrfw3

Hi

I brought the car from a car dealer in southport I think lexus bristrol must have sold to dealer to sell it was about NOV about 6month ago

Should that plate riveted in position or pressed/glued/similar? Maybe check some for sale ad's.

Is this a known issue?

If it's fixing have worked loose then it's a wise precaution not to run the engine until they are fished out. The could easily block an oil way a starve the engine of lube.

The technician's comments are a bit of a chuckle e.g. 'in the engine bay' when he meant 'within the engine'. Also that he will not be performing xyz. Bless him.

from what he say in the video he should have 3 rivets to fix the plate to the rocker cover of which 2 rivets have failed or have broken some how and could be anywhere inside

the engine or fallen into the sump oil.  They are going to open it up this Wednesday as they have to order the part from Belgium and will not arrive till tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Should that plate rivitted in position or pressed/glued/similar? Maybe check some for sale ad's.

Is this a known issue?

If it's fixing have worked loose then it's a wise precaution not to run the engine until they are fished out. The could easily block an oil way a starve the engine of lube.

The technician's comments are a bit of a chuckle e.g. 'in the engine bay' when he meant 'within the engine'. Also that he will not be performing xyz. Bless him.

Not a known issue at all. In fact this is the first time I've heard of it on a 450h.

Dealer in Southport should have given some kind of warranty and if within it they should pay for anything that comes up

However, don't think Lexus Bristol would have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

It'll be the circled bit as per pic I would imagine. Note the two rivets.

Personally I'd lift the rocker cover and remove the plate altogether and check remaining areas for the loose rivet.

Once confident loose rivet was not in the top end I'd remove the sump and check the oil pickup and sump itself.

I would imagine the guard itself protects against oil flinging out of the filler cap from components rotating at 1000+rpm (if you're running it stationary without the cap to check levels or such) and also to protect foreign objects from easily entering the via the filler.

In short - the car will function mechanically fine without the guard as long as those stray bits are fished out (so don't feel you have to be duped over a new genuine rocker cover at £0000's no doubt.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All 

Cheer for all the advise it seem I must have been unlucky as to why that oil guard call it what you will, had snapped straight across. Rivets where fine and intact and

no debris was found, I probably had been driving with the part like this since I brought the car who knows!!

I have posted some pictures of the part they took out of my Lexus with hind sight if they did nothing at all it would have been fine too as nothing really

was effecting it.  

something to be aware of I suppose if you have a RX450, it may have been a one off, my car is about 6years old and done 110k maybe wear and tear??

Thanks to Lexus Coventry for fixing it and giving me a new Lexus to use for a week as they needed to import the part from Belgium.

20170513_121341.jpg

20170513_121358.jpg

20170513_121418.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links