Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just an update on the faulty ignition switch some of the members reported on the Mark 4.

I purchased one at Lexus Glasgow exactly two years ago and what with one thing and another have only this afternoon fitted it.

Let me tell you now it is a pig of a job,getting too it entails removal of the lower footwell shroud then the upper section the steering wheel cowl and the ignition key surround.

The pig part comes when the access to the phillips machine screws holding the switch onto the steering lock becomes nearly impossible ,they are mounted so that access is from the bulkhead side and is restricted to about 2 inches making regular screwdrivers useless,

I ended up using a 1/4 inch ring spanner with a phillips bit but even then only a quarter turn is achievable.

It took twice as long to take off and put on the new switch as accessing and replacing everything including disconnect and reconnecting all the plugs 10 in all plus at the end I found a plug but no socket which I did'nt notice when removing them.

It is a two pin on a short lead with very thin wire which is probably a loom extra for something not fitted too my car

Having put it all back together and everything working I feel better now I have done the job, just have to see over the next few journeys weather it was the switch that was faulty.

• Like 2

I did this a few years back - you're right it's packed with wiring - I used an electric driver and a long flexi bit holder to screw and unscrew the switch.

I noticed on the old faulty switch that the back was slightly loose - this was causing the electrical connection to break causing the blackout.

Further update the spare plug was in fact the ignition illumination which was in the way when I removed the switch, I had tucked the lead away and did'nt notice it until I realized the light was not working on entering the car.

Fortunately it did not require removal of the upper shroud and with deft work with two pair of surgical tweezers I managed to connect the socket and plug.

I realized after consulting the pics I took on first exposing the wiring a plug was not in the shot but difficult to see, this highlights  the need for progressive photos when doing these type of jobs.

• Like 2