Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having bought the most despised lexus model ever shock horror last year I thought I would give an honest appraisal as to why it is so bad....hmmm really!!

So given the horror stories and inherint 2nd gen IS problems (not just the diesel) after purchase I changed the diff/gear oil (68k) and the eng oil to Mobil 1,cleaned the egr although the dealer said it had been done just for peace of mind,new air filter (fuel filter had been changed previously) and replaced the brake slider pins,front dics/pads to brembo.and sorted the usual rattles etc(easydone).I only use BP ultimate derv.Now having only covered only 7k in a year(DPF failure territory)  it still pulls like a train,is as smooth as you would like,possibly (defo) the most comfortable car I've ever owned (4th lexus) Handling is superb if you love the back end twitch oh yes..sound system which cant be described unless you experience it (DVD is outstanding) coupled with possibly every conceivable gadget available in 2010 with paint and styling to match what is there to hate..I love it..now yes there are some out there that have failed but having been involved in car manufacture for 30 years now (my last 4 cars from the company I work for had dpf failures between 4/6k..SHOCKING!!) I have to take my hats of to Lexus...Brilliant car and wouldnt hesitate to recommend one..take care of it and it will serve you well.

• Like 4

Well done with the comprehensive overhaul Steven. And well done too with producing your follow-up findings.

My first Lexus was a 220d and at that time it was the best car I had ever owned, it ran like a dream and I loved driving it.  I only parted with it because after trawling through forums I came to realise that diesels can give problems if you only do low annual mileages.  I only do between 4k and 6k annually in my car, along with about 4k in my wife's. My 220d was absolutely faultless but, I took the bull by the horns and did an EGR clean to try to ensure that it stayed that way.  You can see the results of my actions in a thread that I started on here called "Problems headed off at the pass" 

Enjoy your car Steven.  Happy motoring:yes:

P.S. I now have the best car I have ever owned (again!) it's a 63 plate with 12k on the clock.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I had a few problems with my is220d but when running right it was a great car.

One thing I miss is that sudden urge of power in 2nd when you floor it around 1800rpm when the turbo kicks in.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Well done with the comprehensive overhaul Steven. And well done too with producing your follow-up findings.

My first Lexus was a 220d and at that time it was the best car I had ever owned, it ran like a dream and I loved driving it.  I only parted with it because after trawling through forums I came to realise that diesels can give problems if you only do low annual mileages.  I only do between 4k and 6k annually in my car, along with about 4k in my wife's. My 220d was absolutely faultless but, I took the bull by the horns and did an EGR clean to try to ensure that it stayed that way.  You can see the results of my actions in a thread that I started on here called "Problems headed off at the pass" 

Enjoy your car Steven.  Happy motoring:yes:

P.S. I now have the best car I have ever owned (again!) it's a 63 plate with 12k on the clock.

Same Lexus route as me and same thoughts re: best car! Mine did more miles than yours (101,000 in 9 years) and I did have both the EGR and DPF replaced between 80 and 90K. Both done under extended warranty. Other than that it was faultless and inside looked as fresh when I sold it as when it left the showroom. Planned on getting an IS 300h and ended up with the GS!

• Like 2

Great to hear some positive comments :thumbs_up:

Personally, I have now broken 20k mostly trouble free miles, and still going strong at 130,000 miles overall.

If I could change one thing I would wish it was automatic!  There is a potential that I will have to sit in some start stop traffic on a daily basis soon, so being a manual could be a pain.

Other than that, on the motorway - where I spend the majority of my time - it is a great car.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links