C Andrew Green

Olde worlde (2007 era!) Lexus dealer fitted bluetooth

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with an olde worlde (2007 era!) Lexus dealer fitted Bluetooth handsfree kit?

I'm a recent Lexus convert, '57 IS250 petrol automatic, came with a dealer fitted Lexus branded Bluetooth handsfree. It appears to work correctly (throught the radio speakers) and recognise spoken commands, but I'm d*mn#d if I can get it to pair with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (or my other halfs Galaxy S4). The process goes OK until the bit where you enter the pin it tells you (1234, same as the book says), and the pin is never recognised. Is the Bluetooth protocol just too ancient for modern phones? Or am I missing something blatantly obvious.

Regards,

Andrew

An update......

I was missing something blatantly obvious!

I had tried it with a different phone so was fairly sure it wasn't the phone.

When I first got the Lexus I just popped my Bluetooth headset in the place previously occupied by the ashtray, headset stays permanently on standby and my phone holder switches the phones Bluetooth on.

It suddenly dawned on me to try turning the Bluetooth headset off, rather than just letting it drop to standby and bingo! Phone paired with car instantly, reconnects every time on startup, all is good!

I have an NFC tag on my car holder which is programmed to turn on Bluetooth, start a speedometer overlay program and start Waze for navigation, and 15 or so seconds later the radio mutes and announces "phone 1 connected", I am happy now!

Andrew

The NFC tag sounds nifty. Wasn't even aware of such a thing.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

As my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 I'm using Samsung TecTiles but I've also played with standard NFC tags, like these.

On Android you just download a suitable NFC app, set up what you want to happen and save it to the tag, then every time the unlocked phone is placed on the tag it carries out the actions, if it's locked they happen on unlock.

Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right and they can't be set up to reverse the actions on moving away from the tag which would be useful.

Regards,

Andrew

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ian J. Parsley
      I thought it may be useful for all Forum members with or contemplating Premium Nav to outline my experiences with it over the past month - as I seem to have encountered most of the problems but also some of the solutions. 
      Fundamentally, Premium Nav adds an Internet capacity to your satnav. This enables it to pick up traffic conditions (and offer alternative routes), note parking options in cities, allow online searches (which will provide phone numbers as well as navigations options) and send journeys from your phone/tablet/computer to your car in advance.
      (It adds a few more things too, like an advanced reverse camera and DVD player, but they're not relevant here. For the record, it also adds the capacity to save a journey to a USB and transfer this to the car that way.)
      The first thing is you need to register with MyLexus. Previously there was a Lexus Portal, but this has been replaced. However, the fact is there has been significant confusion over this. 
      NOTE 1:
      Your sign-in name (an email address with MyLexus) is *not* your User ID. Your User ID by default will be the first part of your email address, but you are wise to change this as it may clash with others (or just cause confusion with past portal registrations). You change it my going to "My Details" and "Edit" and it is at the bottom. 
      Once you have registered you need to register your Multimedia device. This is a 16-digit number (to be typed in without hyphens, even though they appear on the screen). I found it easier to do this online than in the car, though both are options. 
      You also need to verify the vehicle. For this you need a six-figure number from your logbook (like ABC12D) - this is a chore when you lease because you need to get a scan from Lexus Financial Services or the lease company; and even more of a chore when they lose the logbook...
      NOTE 2:
      If you cannot get this number, ask your dealer for the one they use for demonstrators. That seems to work. 
      Now the key is to connect to the Internet. This can be tough, at least with an iPhone. 
      NOTE 3:
      You need to have tethering on on the phone (apple calls this "Personal Hotspot"; other companies use slightly different names).
      In theory you can connect for tethering via Bluetooth or WiFi. 
      For some reason I cannot do the former with my NX (worked fine on my IS). 
      The latter is a bizarre hit and miss and seems to require not only that the Personal Hotspot be on, but that the specific page be open. Weird. 
      NOTE 4:
      This is where I get a little lost...
      Via Setup > Navigation there is a Connected Services menu which allows "Delete Username and Password" or "Change Username and Password". If you try the latter, you need your *User ID* (not the email address) and password. It may be worth keeping these short!
      You then click "Save" and that should simply save it - but if you are unlucky, it will go to connecting and a lovely error message. This means your tethering has broken down, your password is wrong, you've forgotten your User ID, MyLexus does not feel like working, or you've the wrong colour socks on today...
      If you get through this, try your luck with an Online Search on "Navigation > Destination". Here, you will go to "Connecting" but hopefully not for long. If you do, the above paragraph applies. If you don't, you're in business. 
      NOTE 5:
      My success rate in currently about one in four...
      ALL TIPS WELCOME! :)
    • By C Andrew Green
      Hi,
      New Lexus owner here, bit of a step change in comfort! 25 year old Mazda 626 > '57 black IS250 Petrol automatic.
      Trusty but finally too rusty Mazda has gone to the recycling centre.
      While sorting out the MOT fail my brother (trusting) lent me his IS250SE (his spare car!) for a week and a half and that did it! Loved driving it and was lucky to pick up my IS privately with 69,000 miles on it regularly serviced, it's been doing 6,000 odd miles a year for the last 5 years.
      Mazda gets it's Cat removed and weighed in.......

Shiny black IS

Brother and I work in the same office, (small scale Lexus owners club)

• By lexus707

I realise this topic has had a wide range of discussion for pre 2010 models, but I thought I would throw my penny worth in.

Having reviewed many systems that involved taking apart the dash, which I was loath to do, I have just finished installing a  BlackBerry Music Gateway Bluetooth Audio Adapter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182346156646?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Inside the arm rest is a 12v supply and a 3.5mm audio jack:
      You need to buy a 12v mini USB like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-2-Port-Mini-Bullet-Universal-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-Adapter-5V-2-1A-1A-/391774226811?hash=item5b3790497b:g:bN4AAOSw~y9ZCoo4

And most important a ground loop isolator like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272606832493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Plug the USB adapter into the 12v socket
      Use the supplied blackberry USB to mini USB cable for power
      Plug the supplied blackberry 3.5 jack cable into the blackberry unit
      Plug the other end into the ground loop isolator
      And then plug the ground loop isolator 3.5mm jack into the aux port
      Turn on the ignition and pair your phone to the blackberry
      Select the Aux system from the disc/aux button
      Start music on your phone and hey presto it works like a charm, all your music through the wonderful Lexus speakers.
      The system stops when you turn the ignition off and auto starts when you put the ignition back on.
      Also if you have a virtual assistant like the iPhone Siri, by holding the home button down you can tell it to start whatever Album/artist/track you want and it will play that for you, and will shuffle, pause the music etc
      For a demo watch

• By mylesk
      Hi - newie here, recently purchased a lovely GS450h. Trying to fit a Bluetooth adapter kit and having a problem. Looked on forum, but couldn't find solution.
      I purchased this unit to play Bluetooth. Although I am not bothered by CD changer (don't have CDs) or SatNav (I use google maps) I also got a Y splitter as well, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FEXOFL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      I looked at all the install videos, seemed straightforward, I took the unit out, plugged in the adapter and ... nothing. No power to Bluetooth, Sat Nav stopped working, as did most of the audio functions. Using splitter or plugging straight in gave same results
      It seemed odd to me that the 6+6 adapter in my unit only had 2 wires, all the install videos I saw had more. Am I missing something?
      any help gratefully appreciated
      Before adding adapter, 2 wires only into the 6+6 plug (and after connecting splitter)

• By hunslet
      Does anyone have a problem with the Bluetooth dropping all the time? I know I should borrow someone's phone and see if it still happens but the connection can last 20 minutes, all day or not connect at all. The usual problem is that it won't connect at all. When i check the Bluetooth on the phone it says that it is connected to the car but the car says otherwise. The phone is a Nokia Lumia 735 (windows 10).
      Any ideas?