Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2 potential GS450h cars I'm interested in.

I live in Carmarthenshire, South West Wales and in the last 4 years I have travelled by train to collect 3 Lexus vehicles.

1. IS250 SE-L from Mansfield.

2. IS250C SE-L from Southport.

3. RX450h Luxury from Wolverhampton.

Prior to these, I had 3 Saabs from Wrexham, Milton Keynes and Wickford.

Always worth travelling for the right vehicle....it's only one day and a train ticket :smile:

• Like 2

I once arranged an exchange of a motorbike for a car, went from Manchester to the very bottom of Cornwall on the bike, to get there and find was nowhere near nice as described.

The journey had been freezing, wet and I'd had enough, so took the car anyway so could have an easier drive back lol.

Have made many 8hr+ round trips for cars and bikes, always worth it if it's the one you want, as settling for one that's nearly want you want, only bites you in the ***** as soon as your home and everyday there forward until you sell it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Upex said:

I once arranged an exchange of a motorbike for a car, went from Manchester to the very bottom of Cornwall on the bike, to get there and find was nowhere near nice as described.

The journey had been freezing, wet and I'd had enough, so took the car anyway so could have an easier drive back lol.

Have made many 8hr+ round trips for cars and bikes, always worth it if it's the one you want, as settling for one that's nearly want you want, only bites you in the ***** as soon as your home and everyday there forward until you sell it.

Robert, that makes me feel so much better! Having read your experience, I am prepared to admit to going all the way to Kilmarnock for a car for my daughter. It sounded superb, low mileage, old lady owner who had to give up driving, and well below usual price. When we got there ........ yes it was an old lady ........ but the car had been used by her grandson (for how long I had no idea) a complete heap inside, it stalled on the test drive and had real trouble getting it started again. However, we had a lovely journey there and back a talked a great deal. I would do it again but not travel so far!

I always travel for the right motor but last year wifey bought a VW camper van unseen in Portrush N Ireland so my trip was motorcycle to Luton airport, Sleazy Jet to Belfast, one bus and 2 trains to vendors house, car ferry to Scotland then drive down to Huntingdon, long day out that one especially as I dont do camper vans or dirty diesels. Now sold on ( but with a profit ) 

Made Cardiff for this GS 450 seem local and easy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Farqui said:

@mrdoofa, have you played with the Sport button yet?

I've got the gearbox set on Hybrid PWR but the suspension is still on normal, apart from stiffening the suspension does sport mode do anything else? I'm going to give it a go but just so I know what should happen when I press the button lol!!

The new sat nav disc has arrived, I haven't put it in yet. Do I need to disconnect the Battery when changing the disc? The Battery is in the boot on these cars isn't it?

Sport mode drastically alters the throttle response it also alters the steering ratio, and marginally stiffens the suspension.. Hybrid power does not in my opinion make much difference.

John

• Like 2

According to the manual the Hybrid PWR button is best used when travelling on mountainous routes but, as John mentions above, the sport mode makes a huge difference. You will find that the smallest press of the accelerator peddle is needed for rapid forward movement!!

• Like 2

Right, I'm gonna go and try it!! 

Yup, you most certainly should.

Don't flick it on with a car in front like I did tho...on the A1 in traffic, flick the switch and she pounced forward #eek

• Like 1

Wouldn't have thought you need to disconnect Battery to change Sat nav disc, as it'll need power to eject and suck in :yes: and yes, it's in the rear, left side in boot.

I thought hybrid mode was just the normal mode, as the other options on that switch are snow, or power?

Personally, I quite like the sport mode, love the sharper throtal and really does make such a difference, but choose to leave in normal for the softer suspension, and offset it with the power button, so sharper response but retains softer suspension, best of both worlds.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrdoofa said:

Right, I'm gonna go and try it!! 

Sport mode will put a big smile on your face, but do not turn off traction control in the wet in sport mode as you will likely end up facing the wrong direction.

John.

• Like 2

With the car powered up, eject the old satnav disk, load the new disc and see if it updates okay. Mine went I to a loop and wouldn't eject, so powered off the car and disconnected the 12v Battery. Left it for 10mins, hooked the Battery back up, started the car and the satnav worked fine.

See how you get on.

• Like 1

Been for a spin in sports mode and pwr mode. It really does sharpen the whole car up!!! Overtaking is so quick and effortless (not that it was a slouch before lol) the way the car launches is unreal. Also, I've done a couple of runs to work and back now and so far I've been averaging 36mpg according to the computer which I am really chuffed with. This is easily the best car I've ever had and I've had a lot!!!

I tried the sat nav disc and it wouldn't read the disc as expected so tomorrow I'll try disconnecting the Battery in daylight.

Another quick question, I have my screen set so it doesn't default to sat nav screen from audio/air con screens etc, however when ever you use the park assist or use the rear camera it defaults back to the energy screen display rather than what I had it on before, is there a way around this?

• Like 1

I tried disconnecting the Battery today to update the sat nav, unfortunately when I reconnected the Battery it still wouldn't read the disc. How long do you leave it disconnected for? I only gave it about 3 or 4 minutes because it was about to start raining and I didn't want to leave the boot open to get wet lol!!!

Believe it or not but it is not so good after all. Battery don't like to be fully charged or discharged. Of cars car itself is not allowing that - I read somewhere that Battery works in range 20-80%.

Back to the point, don't try to max out Battery as there is no gain in it. Just use the car and let the car do the rest.

All green bars showing is a charge level of 80%. The cars system will not allow more than this. Descending hills or long downhill inclines can easily bring it to this level.

No bars at all showing is a charge level of 40% the lowest the system will allow. There is no danger in either scenario.

The situation to avoid is leaving the car in ready mode, and neutral. In this situation the car cannot manage the charge level in both the HV Battery, and the 12 volt Battery. The engine cannot start in neutral "it can continue to run if it is already started", and can therefor not maintain the charge in the HV Battery. If the AC is left running this can quickly discharge the HV Battery. The HV Battery in turn is used to charge the 12 volt Battery through a DC to DC converter "no alternator". If the HV Battery is discharged it can no longer charge the 12 volt Battery so this also becomes discharged.

John

• Like 2

It happened to me once. I was in a heavy traffic and was watching DVD movie. Therefore car needs to be on the parking brake. I've just put it to N and hand breake on. After a while I get info about low Battery level and I need to stop imedietally and leave car on P to charge up.

i still advice the same. Just focus on the drive/pleasure and leave the hybrid system to just do it work :)

• Like 1

It was just a bit of fun as I've never seen it before, it's all still a bit of a novelty to me as I've only had the car for a week and still getting used to what it does and what it doesn't do!!! This is the first hybrid car I've ever driven or owned.  I'm usually too busy enjoying the rapid acceleration to worry about the Battery level but yesterday I came down a long steep hill near where I live and saw it full for the 1st time.

Its an absolutely stonking car and I'm loving every minute of driving it!!!

On 22/05/2017 at 6:37 PM, mrdoofa said:

I tried disconnecting the battery today to update the sat nav, unfortunately when I reconnected the battery it still wouldn't read the disc. How long do you leave it disconnected for? I only gave it about 3 or 4 minutes because it was about to start raining and I didn't want to leave the boot open to get wet lol!!!

I gave mine 30mins and the disc update worked a treat :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Normski said:

I gave mine 30mins and the disc update worked a treat :thumbsup:

Thanks for that!!! I'll disconnect it for a good 30 minutes at least tomorrow!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links